New Years Eve Downtown

Commoner

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, I am not sure why Charlotte canceled it's New Years Eve stuff. It probably has to do with the 4th of July riots those few years back. last time I went uptown for new years eve was in 2005, and there were sweat teams everywhere and they shoved through the crowd several times pushing people over and stuff. it was a very unpleasant experience. New years 2004 was a blast! They had the outdoor dance floor with a disco ball and jumbotrons and everything! I wish they would bring that back :-(

I wanted to stop at Home Depot to get an edge brush... they closed at 6pm. Lowes did too. Finally went to frick'n Wal*Mart to get my brush and some groceries.

Yeah I know it's New Year's eve but regardless, it's another example of how the city does not have round the clock commerce. It can still be Mayberry sometimes.

I was working downtown last night and it was amazing the number of people who came up to me asking "where the ball was going to be dropped." People had no idea that all of the celebrations had been cancelled. I guess they don't read the paper or watch the news. My response was you can thank the thugs for the "violence" in years past for there not being anything tonight. From what I've been told, there will be a large event planned next year.

It truly is a shame that society has come down to this. I just wish that those responsible will begin putting these kids on leashes and let the rest of the world enjoy it. I was talking this over with people and I took this situation so personally to the point where I just felt like grabbing one of these kids by the necks and just hurling them down the street. I also was able to enjoy uptown in 04 and 05, I believe it was, as well as 4th of July in the past and it was always so much fun until those thugs were around. I won't ever forget when someone lit a firework down Trade at a woman with her newborn, I tried to chase down one of the kids then ending up pointing for the cops. Guess it's people like us that need to keep trying to make a difference and hopefully one day there will be more peace in Charlotte, one day....

It truly is a shame that society has come down to this. I just wish that those responsible will begin putting these kids on leashes and let the rest of the world enjoy it. I was talking this over with people and I took this situation so personally to the point where I just felt like grabbing one of these kids by the necks and just hurling them down the street. I also was able to enjoy uptown in 04 and 05, I believe it was, as well as 4th of July in the past and it was always so much fun until those thugs were around. I won't ever forget when someone lit a firework down Trade at a woman with her newborn, I tried to chase down one of the kids then ending up pointing for the cops. Guess it's people like us that need to keep trying to make a difference and hopefully one day there will be more peace in Charlotte, one day....

I do think that there needs to be something going on downtown that is free and family friendly. The most important thing would be a downtown fireworks. The problem is where to shoot the fireworks off so that many people can see them. In years past where they had the events at the square it was hard to see the fireworks since you are surronded by very tall skyscrapers on all 4 corners.

Maybe once they get the new 3rd Ward Park open they could have an event there and shoot the fireworks from someplace in 3rd Ward.

I do think that there needs to be something going on downtown that is free and family friendly. The most important thing would be a downtown fireworks. The problem is where to shoot the fireworks off so that many people can see them. In years past where they had the events at the square it was hard to see the fireworks since you are surronded by very tall skyscrapers on all 4 corners.

Maybe once they get the new 3rd Ward Park open they could have an event there and shoot the fireworks from someplace in 3rd Ward.

The police are the thugs , I was just talking to friends last night on 3rd and a policeman asked us to keep moving , that same policeman walked pass a group of white men and did nothing at all. I saw more police last night in Charlotte than I saw in New york city in 1999 on new years eve!! I do not think that racial profiling is the result of aberrational rogue cops. We have to mobilize against the system that is creating the problem, not the symptom that makes us see the problem.

I was downtown working alongside CMPD and they were treating everyone equally from what I saw. Your age, race, or sex didn't matter. If you were in a group larger than 3 or 4 and you were standing still, blocking pedestrian traffic, you were told to move. Having just one perceived bad encounter should not give the perception that they handled the night poorly. I think they were actually much more tolerating of the crowds and generally nicer last night than they were on July 4th.

I wanted to stop at Home Depot to get an edge brush... they closed at 6pm. Lowes did too. Finally went to frick'n Wal*Mart to get my brush and some groceries.

Yeah I know it's New Year's eve but regardless, it's another example of how the city does not have round the clock commerce. It can still be Mayberry sometimes.

The streets downtown were packed with people walking around, but overall there were no problems, no large fights (that I heard of or saw), and no problems. If a large police presence is responsible for that I'm glad they were there. I do hope it was even-handed, but these guys are always in a bind. Don't show up in force or crackdown on those that are out for trouble and they are too lenient on criminals and can't keep control. Have lots of officers out and have them keep people moving and keep trouble from starting then they are oppressive. Until we can keep a**holes away from events that just want to cause trouble, this will be a fact of life. It is the same fact of life I've seen in big cities I've been to where I've attended large events including New Years Eve's.

As for the lack of family events -- it is unfortunate, but you can't keep anyone out of events like that if they are public -- imagine the outcry if the city threw a huge outdoor public family oriented event and large scale fights, fireworks being shot in the crowd, or overall rowdy partiers turned out. It isn't something that is unlikely so we can't be too harsh on the city opting to not risk it. At least not now. I do think an event not downtown, maybe Southpark, or Freedom Park, or Memorial Stadium would be a better option than center city where lots of people go to party on nights like this. I like the idea of something at the Baseball Stadium when it is done. Great outdoor space, could be controlled by selling tickets, etc.

The streets downtown were packed with people walking around, but overall there were no problems, no large fights (that I heard of or saw), and no problems. If a large police presence is responsible for that I'm glad they were there. I do hope it was even-handed, but these guys are always in a bind. Don't show up in force or crackdown on those that are out for trouble and they are too lenient on criminals and can't keep control. Have lots of officers out and have them keep people moving and keep trouble from starting then they are oppressive. Until we can keep a**holes away from events that just want to cause trouble, this will be a fact of life. It is the same fact of life I've seen in big cities I've been to where I've attended large events including New Years Eve's.

As for the lack of family events -- it is unfortunate, but you can't keep anyone out of events like that if they are public -- imagine the outcry if the city threw a huge outdoor public family oriented event and large scale fights, fireworks being shot in the crowd, or overall rowdy partiers turned out. It isn't something that is unlikely so we can't be too harsh on the city opting to not risk it. At least not now. I do think an event not downtown, maybe Southpark, or Freedom Park, or Memorial Stadium would be a better option than center city where lots of people go to party on nights like this. I like the idea of something at the Baseball Stadium when it is done. Great outdoor space, could be controlled by selling tickets, etc.

Center city on any weekend night or holiday night (especially NYE) is going to be dominated by the bar crowd. There are 50+ bars in 1.5 square miles. Sure there are places for families and kids, but they are overshadowed by late night places. So having family oriented public events in center city just doesn't make much sense. Freedom Park and Memorial stadium would be much better options close to the city. I think 3rd Ward park and the new AAA stadium will change this however. Then there would be room for families and the bar crowd.

I like the idea of charging for seats at the new baseball stadium. $5 for adults and kids get in for free? They could fill up the stands and the field and shoot fireworks off from one of the parking decks like they did a few years back. Would have a great view :)

Archived