Columbia compared to other cities

CorgiMatt

Here's an interesting website. It details cities and compares them with other cities in the same state and across the nation. I find it interesting that according to them the city most similar to Columbia is Greenville, South Carolina. Gainesville, Florida is second. Charleston, South Carolina is fourth. Of course, as with all such websites, I'm sure the statistics they use are two to three years old.

http://www.citytowninfo.com/

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's interesting. I've always found Columbia and Greenville to be very, very different. One only has to look at voting trends to see that the two cities' residents have little in common. The site compared generic things like income, etc., but if you ask someone who they hang out with on a regular basis you would probably find that they hang out with people they have things in common with the most. In my case that would include co-workers and those that generally share my interests and outlooks. I tried dating someone once who was my total opposite in political views and lets, well, um, say it didn't work too well, lol. :P

^But I don't always think that politics is the big polarizer as it's always made out to be (although sometimes it can be). No matter the political persuasion, people like to eat, shop, attend concerts, go to sporting events, enjoy recreational opportunities, etc. and both cities have plenty of similar options across the board. Even then, most urban areas have their more liberal areas concentrated near the core, and the more conservative areas in the suburbs. And both cities are in an overwhelmingly red state, and both cities have produced politicians that reflect that. So yeah, differences are there, which we know--but I also think there are more similarities than we would like to admit sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Krazee, I think the 2 are much more similar than many like to think. Generally speaking at least, both are in the south, in SC, and have similar demographics. Climate and cost of living (from a national perspective) are pretty similar. Both are currently reviving their DTs, are working on research parks, have similar population bases (aside from city proper pop). The list probably goes on. That said, I think the scope of the cities are quite diferent, as are the "selling points." Nevertheless, there are a lot of similarities.

Oh no--not this again. I think Columbia and Greenville residents openly admiring the other would be a breath of fresh air. So here goes: I admire the heck out of both cities! Residents should be proud of their city, AS WELL AS the other one. Both cities are awesome! There, I said it! :)

Posts that say things like "oh you better believe we DON'T want to be like your city", those said "in jest", and emoticons used to show disdain with someone else's posts are all counter-productive, IMO. In fact, the whole premise of this string invites ill feelings toward one another. I thought we weren't supposed to be posting Vs. strings on UP?

• 1 month later...

I've lived in both cities (Greenville 17 years and Columbia 5 years). and all things considered, I definitely have to go with Greenville. Growing up in Greenville, there was nothing much to do. BoJo had a stranglehold on the town, and I couldn't wait to go to school in the bigger "city" of Columbia. And after 5 years in Columbia, I couldn't wait to get back to Greenville. So having lots of experience in both, I'll try to break it down.

Size

Greenville "city" has an insanely small boundary, so the population is small. But the Greenville metro "area" is much bigger than Columbia's. Columbia has a much larger-feeling downtown. It certainly looks more impressive...more "skyscrapers."

Greenville is right between Atlanta and Charlotte, making trips to both easy and quick. I-85 is THE economic corridor in the Southeast, which is why we have BMW and Michelin. Columbia has excellent (and multiple) interstate connectivity. But that Columbia-to-Atlanta drive? Shoot me now.

Geography

Greenville is nestled in the foothills, with the Blue Ridges mountains off in the distance...beautiful. The Reedy River bisects downtown with a dramatic waterfall that has become a tourism mecca. Columbia, to put it kindly, is stunningly flat and boring. They have a river, but it's off to the side and they haven't seemed to figure out what to do with it yet.

Weather

Greenville=moderate and pleasant. Columbia=miserable and uninhabitable from June-August.

People

Columbia wins this round. Greenville has made HUGE strides in becoming more open and diverse. But Columbia has USC around, which opens things up much more.

Institutions

Greenville has Bob Jones, and I will make no attempt to apologize for them. But Furman is a great school with a gorgeous campus. Good football team, too. However, I'm a USC alum and HUGE Gamecock fan, so there's no competition here. USC is Columbia to me.

Potpourri...Good Odds and Ends

Greenville - unbeatable downtown, the West End, Falls Park on the Reedy, West End Field, it's actually GREEN, generally more attractive, near the mountains

Columbia - Yesterday's, Five Points, The Vista, Riverbanks Zoo, Congaree National Park, Gamecock football Saturdays

Size

Greenville "city" has an insanely small boundary, so the population is small. But the Greenville metro "area" is much bigger than Columbia's. Columbia has a much larger-feeling downtown. It certainly looks more impressive...more "skyscrapers."

Geography

Greenville is nestled in the foothills, with the Blue Ridges mountains off in the distance...beautiful. The Reedy River bisects downtown with a dramatic waterfall that has become a tourism mecca. Columbia, to put it kindly, is stunningly flat and boring. They have a river, but it's off to the side and they haven't seemed to figure out what to do with it yet.

We went down to Columbia to visit the Riverbank zoo two years ago. I really liked the botanical part with all the plants as I really like plants. I find them really interesting. We went and walked around the state capitol buildings. I really like how it was landscaped and I believe those are some of the largest magnolia trees I have ever seen. Also some of the water oaks were massive. We went on a sunday so main street was easy to navigate. We actually parked in a parking space that faces where the new 19 story building will be built. Greenville and Columbia are more alike then either one is to Charleston. I will say that.

Columbia is nowhere near flat. You may be thinking about Charleston. If you drive around the city there are many hills and there are high elevations all around Columbia where you can see the city from more than 10 miles away. Even when using my GPS which tells the elevation there are places where it goes from 450 feet to near 250/300 feet in no time. Not Greenville in the foothills but far from flat unless you're in Lower Richland.

Overall I found your comparison fair and balanced. As far as Columbia figuring out what to do with the river, there are some pretty impressive plans in the works in addition to what has already occurred (e.g., Three Rivers Greenway):

Innovista-river.jpg

viewfromamphitheater.jpg

viewfromtowpath.jpg

waterfrontpromenadegervais.jpg

This is right behind EdVenture (though I think the plans have been modified a bit):

canalfront.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Very nice looking plans! This is really going to take Cola to the next level. :good:

I think I have gotten over the whole competition thing. The 4 big metros of the state will always have some competition with each other, but I don't see one becoming the dominant one any time soon. They do have their differences, and I am glad for that. I know we each have our prefernce. At this point, I am just glad to see SC cities getting to the next level, and growing consistantly.

Greenville is right between Atlanta and Charlotte, making trips to both easy and quick. I-85 is THE economic corridor in the Southeast, which is why we have BMW and Michelin. Columbia has excellent (and multiple) interstate connectivity. But that Columbia-to-Atlanta drive? Shoot me now.

Wow! Very nice looking plans! This is really going to take Cola to the next level. :good:

I think I have gotten over the whole competition thing. The 4 big metros of the state will always have some competition with each other, but I don't see one becoming the dominant one any time soon. They do have their differences, and I am glad for that. I know we each have our prefernce. At this point, I am just glad to see SC cities getting to the next level, and growing consistantly.

Archived