Columbia compared to other cities

CorgiMatt

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, thats true. I'm not trying to knock Columbia- I just want to make sure people aren't dismissing what the Upstate has going for it.

Hopefully it won't be long before the light rail is set up. Charlotte just got its first commuter train and Greenville is working on mass transit which could tie in. Sorry to hijack the thread!

And that's a crying shame. Unless places like Lexington do not plan on additional development then they should at least set aside some ROW for future transit alternates. It's a lot easier to lay rail than dig a subway. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that Columbia doesn't sprawl worse than it already has. Is the MSA/CSA still expected to be at 1 million by 2030 or was it 2050?

There is an article about Adesso and an interview of John Holder of Holder Properties in today's State. He mentions that Columbia is in a very similar position that Atlanta was a few decades ago and that he is very bullish on our market. It is nice to have a large developer so interested in our market.

John Holder interview

• 3 months later...
Size

Greenville "city" has an insanely small boundary, so the population is small. But the Greenville metro "area" is much bigger than Columbia's. Columbia has a much larger-feeling downtown. It certainly looks more impressive...more "skyscrapers."

Greenville is right between Atlanta and Charlotte, making trips to both easy and quick. I-85 is THE economic corridor in the Southeast, which is why we have BMW and Michelin. Columbia has excellent (and multiple) interstate connectivity. But that Columbia-to-Atlanta drive? Shoot me now.

Geography

Greenville is nestled in the foothills, with the Blue Ridges mountains off in the distance...beautiful. The Reedy River bisects downtown with a dramatic waterfall that has become a tourism mecca. Columbia, to put it kindly, is stunningly flat and boring. They have a river, but it's off to the side and they haven't seemed to figure out what to do with it yet.

Weather

Greenville=moderate and pleasant. Columbia=miserable and uninhabitable from June-August.

People

Columbia wins this round. Greenville has made HUGE strides in becoming more open and diverse. But Columbia has USC around, which opens things up much more.

Institutions

Greenville has Bob Jones, and I will make no attempt to apologize for them. But Furman is a great school with a gorgeous campus. Good football team, too. However, I'm a USC alum and HUGE Gamecock fan, so there's no competition here. USC is Columbia to me.

Potpourri...Good Odds and Ends

Greenville - unbeatable downtown, the West End, Falls Park on the Reedy, West End Field, it's actually GREEN, generally more attractive, near the mountains

Columbia - Yesterday's, Five Points, The Vista, Riverbanks Zoo, Congaree National Park, Gamecock football Saturdays

What parts of his post are untrue other than terrain? Humidity plays a factor in how comfortable you are. I can get to Charlotte in less than a hour and 30 minutes via 85. Usually takes me about 1 hr 15 min or so. I can get to Atlanta in less than 2. All in all its more what you desire I guess.

What parts of his post are untrue other than terrain? Humidity plays a factor in how comfortable you are. I can get to Charlotte in less than a hour and 30 minutes via 85. Usually takes me about 1 hr 15 min or so. I can get to Atlanta in less than 2. All in all its more what you desire I guess.

And I'll have to go with mine, and the times I've been to Greenville and Charleston in the hottest time of year, all I can say is the humidity was absolutely miserable. I guess I picked a day when those mythical mountain and ocean breezes that were supposed to hit me in the face and dry off all the sweat were blowing in the wrong direction. In Greenville I visited a friend who walked his dog at lunch and I thought the poor dog was going to die on the spot. Since the weather reports have started saying what the heat index is on the hottest days, more days than not the heat index in Charleston is 4 to 5 degrees hotter than in Columbia, and the heat index is how hot it feels.

The other part is about the humidity. It is a myth that Columbia is more humid than Greenville. Here is a link to the NWS humidity data. Columbia, on average, is more humid in the morning and Greenville, on average, is more humid in the afternoon - the hotter part of the day.

Having been raised in Columbia, attending school in Clemson (and therefore traveling to Greenville a dozen times), and spent most vacations in Charleston, I feel as if there is no need to bash each others cities personally. Since this is a thread to discuss the differences, I think we should do that.

As an outsider looking into Greenville being as unbias as possible, the best thing Greenville has for it is it's Main Street. It is impressive but after only a few blocks it turns out to be pedestrian-unfriendly. It just seems more boring to be honest. This is coming from a college student that has only went out with his friends in Greenville. Columbia, on the other hand, always seems to have something to do.

:/

Maybe my views will change over time. I'd rather live in Columbia also because it is in a better location geographically and I see a lot of potential for this city in the short and long run.

Archived