Columbia compared to other cities

CorgiMatt

For clarification, crappy skyscrapers = skyscrapers without street-level retail.

That's a big part of it, but not the only part. It doesn't explain why Main north of Hampton--the portion without skyscrapers--doesn't attract after-hours pedestrians in significant numbers.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But they're making great progress on the streetscaping north of Hampton. I can see it coming together. The existing oaks at the intersections, especially at Taylor and Main create quite an ambiance.

IMO, to compare the two Main Streets fairly, Columbia would have to have Finlay Park, the Koger Center and the new baseball park all lined up along Main Street, and then wipe out Five Points and the Vista, relocating the people who frequent those areas to Main Street. Columbia's Main Street will get there, but when it does I would prefer that Five Points and the Vista not lose any of their patrons, because I was in both districts this weekend and there was quite a vibe going on in each.

• 4 weeks later...

Social and educational opportunities and aesthetics are the top three things Columbia MSA residents like about this community. The need to be more open to different types of people and basic services are areas residents feel need some improvement. These findings are from the Knight Foundation's survey of 26 cities across the nation.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?s=9423835

Archived