Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aowwt

City Planning a concept

7 posts in this topic

Okay I bit the bullet and hey why not start a proposed city planning concept. Now here is the base image. It could be modified a touch to less roundness but I hope you get the general idea.

City.GIF

Now to understand the picture here is the key.

The Red lines are Freeways ie full access control.

The Green are expressways ie East Beltline style but less of a footprint

The Dark blue lines are your typical Burton/Division style roads.

The Cyan lines are your local major side streets.

Now for the planning aspect. Going from the center to the outside are keys to the colors.

Orange is the City/State/Federal buildings

Teal is the Hotels, Major commerical Buildings High rises

Dark Gray is the apartments and major condo residences

Violet is the seconday commerical buildings ie stores and malls

Light gray is the residential houses

Black would be industry

Interspered yellow would be drug stores, gas stations, and restruants

Red would be major parks

Now outside of the Freeways I would only have airports, sea/lake ports and farmland. As a region I would only allow another community like this no closer than 2 miles away either north/south/east/west. The distance between each line is a quarter of a mile and would mean further roads inside the blocks would be required in the light gray zones. I would also prefer to have major sports arenas OUTSIDE of the freeway loop.

Each of the small circles are the interchanges. The red circles are full 8 directional interchanges. The green are 6 direction ie 28th street or SPUI.

Frankly this is the way Urban planning after WW2 should have been done.

Too uniform and too forced. The best way to plan a city, IMHO, is to watch the desireabilities of certain areas, traffic flows, and demand for neighbourhood centres.. mostly a naturally developing city plan.

Most pre-planned cities have never lived up to their expectations or have failed. Natural growth is the way to go.

Your plans sorta resembles a spoke city like Indianapolis with a touch of D.C. About my only concern is how one aspect layers atop another as one moves outward from the center. What if the city's economy and growth changes I.E. there might be more retail growth for a decade and then shift to office growth the next as an example?

Very valid points and you know what normally I would say yes that would be an issue. But my main problem is that although it restricts development to certian areas it would also disallow development from spreading to all points. I have a new setup that uses the rounded square instead of a full circle but itself is a square design. That will be used as a county design versus this as a single city concept. In anycase getting back to my proposal. The key thing is this. The thing that bothers me is that everybody wants these zones completely filled up. I understand but I also know that open fields is also better than having no open feilds and development spread 30 miles apart. Here is my idea of what would happen.

You have one quarter of the place build first. It would be sufficant in that you would have small commerical bank towers, small office buildings in the heavy commerical zones with the government offices. Then you would have short apartments and condos. After that you would get strip malls and the like in the next mile block. After that would be your residential houses. As you expand as a city you would research facilities get opened up near the downtown. Taller apartment and condos being built over the older shorter apartments and strip malls being replaced with larger Wallyworld supercenters and Rivertown Malls. The key thing is although it would force only certian development I would also allow it to go to all heights. The key thing is compactness versus sprawling. This city has a huge amount of population max to itself. I think I got it around 300k just in the light residential areas. That does not include the massive apartment and condo units that go multiple floors for a lot less area.

The other item I like about this is the fact I keep the gas stations and the like away from major intersections where traffic would be heaviest and into the neighboorhood areas where the traffic is local and creates more of a bond between the workers and the shoppers. The Major Intersections instead get parks where you will see more community interaction happening.

Well these are my thoughts in anycase. I hope you get what I am looking for and maybe if I get Sim City 4 up and running and with some cheats I can show exactly what I talking about with the huge design.

The very epicenter of the city is the highway?? ummmm, count me out. wheres the green space? The problem with the design is not that something like this was not done it is the fact that during urban renewal this type of this WAS done. Whole sections of cities were demolished and transformed in this fashion. Successful city layouts should be taken from great cities of old.

It looks a bit like the burgess model with concentric rings based on a central point. This is how many cities in the US have developed over the past 200 years. Often rings of suburbs would be added on as new options of transportation became available. The funny thing about a model is the model is only perfect in a perfect world

Well I think you get the general idea. I have since redid the structure per a previous reply and have a more rounded corner look. As a result its a bit bigger but it adds more industry. I have since looked at the areas outside the main circled freeway and put a larger amount of farmland outside of that area. My plan is to have a county size land be redevoloped with a large section of farmland with a few power plants that would be surronding the entire city. The amount of farmland would be enough to support the entire city plus half of another city. That would allow for minimal expansion outside the city plus allow the farmland be able furrow after two seasons.