New Interstate Highway in Greenville's future?

gs3

Stumbled on this article and had no idea that this proposal even existed. A proposed interstate linking Savannah and Knoxville known as I-3 (thought the low numbers should be on the West Coast :dontknow:). Anyway, looks like a route through Greenville could be a consideration in this early process. While years and years away, would still be nice to see a true north/south interstate through Greenville, and would be a great gateway to the midwest. Anyone know about this?

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/010208...080102045.shtml

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like to complete the interstate quality roadway of US-25 to Asheville, but that is a lower priority. An interstate quality limited access freeway limted from Knoxville to Savannah is necessary. Simply extend I-24 from Chattanooga through north Georgia's plains, Athens, Augusta and Savannah. Spur routes add connections to Knoxville and Andews/Murphy.

I'm sure additional interstate ideas for Greenville will come up, such as the northern connector. Extend I-585's southern terminus at Asheville Highway to US-25 northward of Travelers Rest.

Junction: US-25

Cities: Travelers Rest (south), Hendersonville (north)

Interchange: Y, upgrade to cloverstack if extended with I-185 northward extension

Junction: SC-290

Cities: Greer (south), Tigerville (north)

Interchange: Diamond

Junction: SC-101

Cities: Greer (south)

Junction: SC-14

Cities: Greer (south), Landrum (north), Gowensville (north)

Junction: SC-80

Cities: Greer (south), Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport (south)

Interchange: Y

Junction: SC-357

Cities: Lyman (south), Campobello (north)

Junction: SC-292

Cities: Lyman (south), Inman (north)

Junction: John Dodd Road

Cities: Wellford (south), Spartanburg-North

Junction: Interstate 26

Cities: Columbia (east), Asheville (west)

Interchange: Cloverstack

Junction: US-176W/SC-56E

Cities: Spartanburg-North (east), Inman (west)

Interchange: Cloverstack

Interesting. Seems pretty speculative at this point. If placed correctly, it could help the Westside catch up some with teh Eastside, resulting in a more balanced Gville in the future, and actually help to keep some of the sprawl more densified around the highway system. It would also probably result in the Northern loop being added to connect I-3 and I85 on the norht side of town.

You know, even though I am largely opposed to limited access highways - well more specifically the land use practices that are influenced by freeways - I would think this freeway route would be a no brainer. I have always thought Greenville should have a direct route south - through Augusta & connecting to the proposed route from Augusta to Savannah. The route from I-26 into town isn't bad, but after Travellers Rest it takes forever to get to I-85. I would imagine that stretch would be heavily traveled by folks out of Atlanta to get into western NC.

Hmm, that is really interesting. I can definitely see the need to do this through the Western side of Greenville, and with the growth we're experiencing in the upstate it makes sense to route this new road through Greenville rather than through the northern Georgia mountains. Hopefully we will hear more about this in the future. :thumbsup:

I wonder if Greenville city leaders, as well as the Greenville Area Development Corp, are aware of this proposal? If so, you would think that they would get behind the effort to try to make it happen...

I totally agree about the numbering. Interstates are numbered in increasing fashion from West to East. Plus, North-South interstates are always odd numbers, and East-West interstates are always even numbers. So whether they deem this to be mostly North-South or mostly East-West, I-3 does not make sense.

Extending my idea...Saluda River Parkway: The northern extension of I-185

Junction: US-29 North

Destination: Greenville-Downtown

Interchange: Y

Junction: SC-81

Destination: Welcome/Powdersville

Junction: US-123

Destination: Judson/Dunean

Interchange: Parclo

*cross Saluda River into Pickens County*

Junction: SC-124

Destination: Easley

Junction: SC-183

Destination: Berea/Pickens

*cross Saluda River into Greenville County*

Junction: Old White Horse Road

Destination: Berea (TO Furman University)/Marietta

Junction: US-276

Destination: Travelers Rest/Marrieta (TO Brevard)

Junction: US-25

Destination: Travelers Rest/Hendersonville (TO Asheville)

Intersection: Cloverstack (ties in with northern connector)

The I-3 proposal generally doesn't include Greenville, but Greenville will benefit indirectly due to increased access.

I dread the day that a new parallel highway to 85 is proposed for the Upstate. The sprawl increase will be insane. I hope that if it ever happens it goes south, to help out the counties in the southern parts of the Upstate that don't have the economies of Greenville and Spartanburg. It should connect Gaffney, Pacolet, Woodruff, Grey Court, Belton, and back to 85 around Anderson.

Realistically, however, SCDOT doesn't have any money, and given the national debt level I think that new interstates are probably going to be very uncommon in the future. I honestly don't understand where the money for I-3 is coming from as it is. If we invest in a more advanced transportation system that includes more small streets, higher connectivity, more transit, walkability, and LESS highways, we will be much better off in the future.... and we won't need highways to get around the Upstate on a day-to-day basis!

^ Thanks for the explanation on the naming of I-3 and I-14, RT.

The proposed I-73 route definitely screams politics (I kind of think the I-14 route does as well......).

I'll still never understand why I-20 didn't continue on from Florence to Myrtle Beach. :dontknow:

^

I don't know how far the proposal got, but if memory serves, there was a proposal to extend 20 to Myrtle Beach in the early 1980s, and it died a quick death.

I-73 and 74's routing is mostly logic-defiant, but I doubt they'll be built N and W of NC/VA anyway.

I-3 is another troubled proposal - the routing through N GA has drawn a lot of protest, most of the affected NC counties have passed resolutions against it, and TN has taken no action on it thus far. A Greenville-Augusta-Savannah route could be useful however. Other attempts at getting limited access highways built across N GA have been pretty decisively killed (local protest sunk 2 different proposals for outer-outer loops for Atlanta, which would have run through areas not far W of where 3 would run), so I dunno.

Given spiralling construction and planning costs (among other things), and the needs of neglected infrastructure we already have, I'd be shocked to see 3, or the Ohio Valley sections of 73/74 getting built.

We love to see 25 to Asheville be controlled access all the way from the 26 interchange to downtown Greenville.

The one I always wonder about is 123. Why is a good chunk of the highway closer to Clemson controlled access? I've always thought this should be completed into controlled access to downtown Greenville as well.

Controlled access highways are a feasible way to go. They neither be interstates nor have at grate intersections and driveways.

Why not construct a controlled access northern bypass around Easley? It would begin at the northern SC-153 terminus and end westward of the US-123/SC-93 connector interchange. You can moe traffic northward for easier access to Pickens and Pumpkintown.

Another route can be spurred from this route northward between Travelers Rest and Slater/Marietta to terminate at US-25. If SC-153 can be upgraded to having no driveways and at grade intersections and have a connector route to I-185 near exit 15, the route becomes more advantageous.

Archived