Who is your Presidential Primary Pick?

ninehigh

Who will you vote for in the upcoming primary?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. All Candidates (you can only vote for one)

• Ron Paul (R)
    • Rudy Giuliani (R)
    • Mike Huckabee (R)
    • Duncan Hunter (R)
    • John McCain (R)
    • Mitt Romney (R)
    • Fred Thompson (R)
    • Bill Richardson (D)
    • Hillary Rodham Clinton (D)
    • Chris Dodd (D)
    • John Edwards (D)
    • Mike Gravel (D)
    • Dennis Kucinich (D)
    • Barack Obama (D)
    • Joe Biden (D)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As weak as the candidates on both parties are, its going to be like choosing between the Devil and the deep blue sea come election time. Hopefully I'll be making the right choice in picking the lesser of the two evils. But either way when it comes to how the election turnouts affect the people's lives, I think we're in for another 4-8 years of Bush-esque stupidity, crappy economy, and continued boondoggle called the "War on Turr". Note the intentional misspelling to reflect Bush's pronunciation of that little phrase. <_<

(Edit) Either way we're s**t's creek without a paddle.

Bill Richardson. Experience: U.S. Representative, Ambassador to U.N., Secretary of Energy, Governor of New Mexico.

Richardson wants to pull all troops out of Iraq within his first year as president, believes the U.S. needs a universal health care plan, wants to do away with the No Child Left Behind Act and start from scratch.

I don't like the fact that he's pro-choice, but then again, nothing will get done about abortion until a pro-life Democrat brings it up in the house or senate. The GOP's been using this issue to get lots of votes for 30 years, they're not about to let those votes disappear. (think Bush - for almost a term and a half he had a Republican controlled house and senate, and what many argue is a conservative supreme court: perfect time to do something.)

Bottom line: Richardson has worked in a number of jobs that will help the U.S. get back on track, and I believe he's genuinely in politics because he cares about making a positive difference for all Americans.

Other than the fact that we're all doomed, it's a really interesting race. No clear cut favorite on either side, possible third party runs by Paul and Michael Bloomberg, the ghost of Al Gore.

Oh, and here's a fun fact about our little democracy; no one under the age of 51 has voted in a presidential race in which a Clinton or a Bush wasn't on the ticket.

Bill Richardson. Experience: U.S. Representative, Ambassador to U.N., Secretary of Energy, Governor of New Mexico.

Richardson wants to pull all troops out of Iraq within his first year as president, believes the U.S. needs a universal health care plan, wants to do away with the No Child Left Behind Act and start from scratch.

I don't like the fact that he's pro-choice, but then again, nothing will get done about abortion until a pro-life Democrat brings it up in the house or senate. The GOP's been using this issue to get lots of votes for 30 years, they're not about to let those votes disappear. (think Bush - for almost a term and a half he had a Republican controlled house and senate, and what many argue is a conservative supreme court: perfect time to do something.)

Bottom line: Richardson has worked in a number of jobs that will help the U.S. get back on track, and I believe he's genuinely in politics because he cares about making a positive difference for all Americans.

I'm protesting the Democratic primary because of some of the candidates removing their name from the ballot. This liberal will be voting in the Republican primary. I'll be voting for the guy who I think deserves his turn on the GOP side, and who's never flipped in this campaign even when it would have been politically helpful to do so...

This will be the fourth time I am able to vote in an election. This year is by far the worst in terms of candidates. Not one of them, Dem. or Rep., is in my opinion worth a damn. Whoever gets elected, it will be at least another 4 years of the same old, same old. Democrates have proven themselves to be worthless in making any change with thier new power in the House and the GOP is what it is and that isn't much.

I'm protesting the Democratic primary because of some of the candidates removing their name from the ballot. This liberal will be voting in the Republican primary. I'll be voting for the guy who I think deserves his turn on the GOP side, and who's never flipped in this campaign even when it would have been politically helpful to do so...

This will be the fourth time I am able to vote in an election. This year is by far the worst in terms of candidates. Not one of them, Dem. or Rep., is in my opinion worth a damn. Whoever gets elected, it will be at least another 4 years of the same old, same old. Democrates have proven themselves to be worthless in making any change with thier new power in the House and the GOP is what it is and that isn't much.

I admire Giuliani (dang, that's a hard name to spell) for ditching Iowa and heading to Fla. Word has it he's on to Michigan next. As an independent voter who tends to vote democrat, I'm with you lefties who are upset w/ the Democratic situation regarding the primary.

I take that admiration for Giuliani seriously, however, if I was to vote Republican, I don't think it would be for him. I like Ron Paul.

If everything was rosey going to the polls on the 15th, I'd be choosing between Paul, Edwards, or Obama...with a strong attraction to Obama.

I think I along with many others are in the same boat...not just in Michigan either. I think it's going to be very difficult for anyone, experts included to predict who will be the next president. At least at this point in time. Maybe big states like Mich and Fla have a lot to do with that and if you screwed us over (dems) maybe you shouldn't have. Of any of the states, I don't think Mich voters are intimidated by crossing party lines.

BTW: I marked OBAMA in the poll, but that could change in 10 minutes...or 30 seconds...

BTWII: I hate Mitt Romney. "It's inexcusable that MI is in a one state recession"...can you sound any more like DeVos? What a turn off! He spent too much money on a campaign he's going to lose out on. Sound familiar?

My logic is that he is all talk and has money to burn, which he has done. If he was so concerned about Michigan, move back here (don't just take advantage of us because you grew up here)...move back, run a campaign for governor and then impliment your plans. If anyone can win a race for governor in Michigan, it would be Mitt Romney.

Plus, no one is asking to be excused. We knew what was coming to this state for a very long time, but apparently people like to finger point and single out one or two people. It's not Granholm, it's not Engler...it's both...and 10.however-many-other Michiganders problem; so long as they live withing these boundaries which fewer and fewer are doing making it easier and easier to go out on a guilt trip.

I think we're in for another 4-8 years of Bush-esque stupidity, crappy economy, and continued boondoggle called the "War on Turr". Note the intentional misspelling to reflect Bush's pronunciation of that little phrase. <_<

(Edit) Either way we're s**t's creek without a paddle.

huh.gif I'm really confused as to why a democrat would abandon his/her party to vote in the GOP primary unless it was to try to sabotage Michigan's republican electorates.

Also, this poll would be much more accurate if it only included those who will be on the ballot. Right now in the poll the winning democratic candidate is Obama who isn't going to be on the ballot - WRITE INS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!!

All that said, Kucinich will be getting my vote good.gifand not because of the lack of competition. Dennis Kucinich is the only democratic candidate who offers real change and a chance at a stable economy. His top priorities include repealing NAFTA - a primary cause (as all Michiganders should know) of companies taking flight for Mexico and other countries for cheap labor. He will replace NAFTA for a Fair Trade agreement benefiting not just America but many other countries.

I've done a little more research on the democratic ballot, here's what I've been able to find out...

Clinton, Kucinich, Gravel, and possibly the no longer running Dodd will appear on the ballot. As has already been mentioned, write-ins will not be counted. A ballot on which another candidates name is added will be deemed 'spoiled'.

The Michiganders for Obama are encouraging supporters of the Senator to vote 'Uncommitted'. If 15% or more of the ballots are marked as such, these delegates can be reassigned by Michigan Democratic Party members. Full details about that can be found here.

I have not been able to confirm if the 'Uncommitted' method can be used for other unnamed candidates, but I believe it can.

The Republican ballot should have all the candidates names, although both of the national parties are still threatening not to seat all of Michigan's delegates.

If anyone needs an absentee ballot, info on that can be found here.

Hopefully this will help a few more people actually vote for the candidate of their choice (crazy idea!).

Yes. And, I can assure you, I know of many Dems that will be voting in the GOP primary since ours is a total sham without all of the names. I believe the Free Press also made mention of this very likely possibility. McCain also got the endorsement of the Detroit News yesterday. He will be rewarded by me for not dealing in the age-old GOP trick of whipping up and fomenting xenophobia when they want to pander to their base.

BTW, both Obama and Edwards are to miss the deadline to put their names back on the Michigan democratic ballot, but even if they did neither would get my vote for instantly capitulating to the national party. If you don't even care enough to keep your name on the ballot, you won't get rewarded with my vote. Michigan has been ignored, when this is easily the state the candidates should be campaigning in the most given how what happens in Michigan's economy is usually a foreshadow of what happens to the national economy. I take this pretty personally. If you're not going to campaign in Michigan, and then add insult to injury by going so far as to take your name off the ballot all together, you will be punished by the voters.

As an outspoken and oft-angry candidate Ron Paul has built an impressive following of loyal supporters. During the current campaign he has stated a number of things that I agree with. But, as an outspoken and oft-angry individual, he has also been linked to a number of opinions that I disagree with quite strongly.

I have a particular objection to some ugly statements about women, minorities, and homosexuals.

This recent article from The New Repulic outlines a number of these statements published in newsletters bearing Paul's name.

"If you are a critic of the Bush administration, chances are that, at some point over the past six months, Ron Paul has said something that appealed to you. Paul describes himself as a libertarian, but, since his presidential campaign took off earlier this year, the Republican congressman has attracted donations and plaudits from across the ideological spectrum. Antiwar conservatives, disaffected centrists, even young liberal activists have all flocked to Paul, hailing him as a throwback to an earlier age, when politicians were less mealy-mouthed and American government was more modest in its ambitions, both at home and abroad.

From his newsletters, however, a different picture of Paul emerges--that of someone who is either himself deeply embittered or, for a long time, allowed others to write bitterly on his behalf. His adversaries are often described in harsh terms."

I think these writings deserve careful consideration when considering Paul as a presedential nominee.

^I heard of those "The Ron Paul Political Report" papers yesterday -- pretty startling.

There is no point showing up to a Democratic primary in Michigan. I heard Michigan's choice to move its primary has resulted in the decision by the Democratic party to strip Michigan of all its delegates. It seems you would be wasting your time. The Republican's also had half of their delegates striped for their decision.

I think one thing you have to understand, if Ron Paul were elected president, and even if he got only a small fraction of the things done that he wants to, he would essentially destroy the political system that has been built by todays politicians. I think he would change this country for the better, but to politicians and bureaucrats he essentially means the end of the system that keeps them in power, so they have every reason to sabotage his campaign, especially now that he has a chance. Now I'm not saying that he's not racist, he may very well be, but it doesn't matter. He's a libertarian, so whether he's racist or not wouldn't effect his policies. Thats the most essential part of being a libertarian, you don't allow yours and others personal feelings affect policy.

BTW, I read through the writings that they are talking about, and although he uses harsh, unnacceptable language, much what he says is true, rather unfortunately. However I think his system of government has much better chance at fixing these social issues, such as the relation between race, poverty and crime, than our current system that basically works to maintain the status quo.

I think one thing you have to understand, if Ron Paul were elected president, and even if he got only a small fraction of the things done that he wants to, he would essentially destroy the political system that has been built by todays politicians. I think he would change this country for the better, but to politicians and bureaucrats he essentially means the end of the system that keeps them in power, so they have every reason to sabotage his campaign, especially now that he has a chance. Now I'm not saying that he's not racist, he may very well be, but it doesn't matter. He's a libertarian, so whether he's racist or not wouldn't effect his policies. Thats the most essential part of being a libertarian, you don't allow yours and others personal feelings affect policy.

BTW, I read through the writings that they are talking about, and although he uses harsh, unnacceptable language, much what he says is true, rather unfortunately. However I think his system of government has much better chance at fixing these social issues, such as the relation between race, poverty and crime, than our current system that basically works to maintain the status quo.

Archived