Who is your Presidential Primary Pick?

ninehigh

Who will you vote for in the upcoming primary?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. All Candidates (you can only vote for one)

• Ron Paul (R)
    • Rudy Giuliani (R)
    • Mike Huckabee (R)
    • Duncan Hunter (R)
    • John McCain (R)
    • Mitt Romney (R)
    • Fred Thompson (R)
    • Bill Richardson (D)
    • Hillary Rodham Clinton (D)
    • Chris Dodd (D)
    • John Edwards (D)
    • Mike Gravel (D)
    • Dennis Kucinich (D)
    • Barack Obama (D)
    • Joe Biden (D)

It should be noted that yesterday, Mitt Romney pulled all of his advertising from SC and most of Fla. to concentrate on winning Michigan. You guys ought to be seeing endless adverts, I would assume, very quickly from Romney now for him to make such a dramatic move. My guess is that if he comes in 2nd in Michigan, his campaign is done.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is no point showing up to a Democratic primary in Michigan. I heard Michigan's choice to move its primary has resulted in the decision by the Democratic party to strip Michigan of all its delegates. It seems you would be wasting your time. The Republican's also had half of their delegates striped for their decision.

It should be noted that yesterday, Mitt Romney pulled all of his advertising from SC and most of Fla. to concentrate on winning Michigan. You guys ought to be seeing endless adverts, I would assume, very quickly from Romney now for him to make such a dramatic move. My guess is that if he comes in 2nd in Michigan, his campaign is done.

I think the GR Press got it right http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2008/01/pres...d_endorses.html

But on the issue that matters most to Michigan, Mr. Romney's message resonates. In Grand Rapids this week, he said, "Michigan's one-state recession will come to an end if I'm president." That's a bold promise. Michigan voters should increase his chance to make it reality.

Romney's got big problems, but he's the best candidate for Michigan.

I think the GR Press got it right http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2008/01/pres...d_endorses.html

But on the issue that matters most to Michigan, Mr. Romney's message resonates. In Grand Rapids this week, he said, "Michigan's one-state recession will come to an end if I'm president." That's a bold promise. Michigan voters should increase his chance to make it reality.

Romney's got big problems, but he's the best candidate for Michigan.

Errmm, I don't agree. What exactly would a President do that could possibly help Michigan? Stop free trade? Abolish unions? Universal Healthcare to take the burden off the Detroit 3? (and would that be proposed by a Republican?) Incentivize people to buy more GM's?

I scratch my head on the Press' thought process on that one.

GaryP, I don't foresee the rest of the country coming to the rescue of Michigan. In fact, my bet is they (especially the Southern States) are reveling in Michigan's misfortune because they are competing for the very same jobs that we are, and winning them. And with more and more power pushing to the South, I don't ever foresee congress getting on board with a package like that. New Orleans was different because it was an act of God and pulled at out heart strings. Our situation is different, and people probably blame it on poor leadership, unions, etc.. As I said, I think there are a lot of States and Economic Development Agencies that actually like watching us bleed people and jobs. Do you think States like South Carolina, North Carolina, Alabama and Georgia would just "let" the federal government award Michigan a large federal research project like that?

I will say that the biggest thing any President can do for Michigan is end our involvement in Iraq, so that Hundreds of Billions of Dollars that we are throwing down the toilet in Iraq can be returned to our revenue sharing system (Federal tax dollars that we pay in coming back to the state and local governments), and our budget could have a chance at being balanced again. I haven't heard where Romney falls on that issue.

In the Press today, McCain and Obama are leading the Grand Rapids area in fundraising. Surprisingly, one quarter of Obama's Michigan funds have come from West Michigan, with the largest donations coming from the Grand Rapids Township and East Grand Rapids areas.

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/frontpage/pdfs/A1_Sunday.pdf

Whether that converts into votes down the road remains to be seen, as well as whether Obama can wrap up enough votes to get the nomination. But it's surprising that the two "religious" candidates (Romney and Huckabee) haven't raised that much money here.

Wholeheartedly agree, dad. When you get to the federal level of politics, it becomes extremely difficult and risky to make promises and commitments to individual states. Those kinds of words coming from Romney's mouth portray him as an unrealistic vote purchaser. I admire his commitment to Michigan, but I would rather see him run for state leadership as governor where he could be much more effective while at the same time living up to his fluff about being Michigan's Native Son b/s. While that kind of misinformation may convince some (like a red "clearance" tag on a luxury item, it's going to take more than that kind of schmoozing to win Michigan during the primary.

Not to stray too far off topic, but was anybody accosted today by "Legislature Recall" campaigners? I have voted in tons of elections and I honestly have never seen people campaigning right outside the polling place. Does this happen a lot in Grand Rapids? Apparently they were just outside of the illegal zone(for lack of a better term), but it was absurd nonetheless. I take voting very seriously and to have one of these idiots solicit me like that as I walk to my car was absurd! These idiots basically ruined one of my favorite days. I had some choice words for them and it probably got my blood pressure up. When I told them they were pathetic they started to get hostile. Does anyone else think that this was pathetic? Honestly, I might be able to sympathize with their sentiment somewhat, but their tactics were a joke!!!!! :stop:

Romney may eek out a win, here, but it won't be because he's promising to bring those old economy manufacturing jobs back. Watching him make that promise is so painful, because almost all Michiganders are light-years ahead of this debate and know (and don't want) these jobs to come back. We had this debate back in 2006. The Michigan electorate is far too ahead of Romney's rhetoric to let that sway them. He may eek out a win for being optimistic and may get an "oh bless your heart" vote, but everyone knows that he's spinning fool's gold when he talks about resurrecting the auto industry to its 1960's size. I think it shows just how long he's been away and just how incredibly out of touch he is with not just Michigan's economy, but American manufacturing as a whole. I mean, and know I'm not the only one, but watching him try to bash McCain on something most of Michigan came to a consensus on quite a few years ago has been painful and silly to watch. Not any of them are all that close to being able to feel the pulse of Michigan. We feel rejected and neglected, and we're cynical, and watching the Republicans come through for a few days showing that they had no idea what was going on here probably did nothing for them in the long run.

No, you're not the only one who feels that way. I like Romney, but I don't like his fantasy speaches about the economy specific to Michigan. In his case, when pressured about the claim he was staking to bring the jobs that left back, he could have redeemed himself by saying, "bringing back lost jobs but in different sectors of business and industry...or a diverse sector of business and industry." But instead he insisted on being the Anti-McCain which I don't think necessarily made him look favorable.

I voted Republican for the first time today and honestly, I hope many other Independents in Michigan did as well.

Well, looks like he pulled out a big win. I chalk it up to the fact that this proves that money matters in big states, and especially since he outspent McCain and Huckabee combined, here. He wasn't able to influence the decidedly more skeptical and choosy states of Iowa and New Hamphsire even with his outspending of other candidates there as well, but Michigan is much more mainstream in its politics and it showed. I hate to say it, but I'm getting a little afraid. Well, I mean, I'd love to see Romney win it on the Republican side because he'd be much more easy to put away with whomever the Democrat may happen to be, but I think other Republicans deserve the nomination more. Romney effectively came to Michigan and sold us a bridge in Brooklyn. He'll tell you whatever you want to her, the quintessential slick politician. One things for sure, he's certainly not the politician he's daddy was, and that's not a good thing if you ask me.

It's not because he kept repeating essentially, "I'm not a politician". "I am a businessman". Yah, we've heard that round in MI w/ Mr. DeVos and though it cost bookoo bucks, it didn't sell. Why would you sell yourself as not a politician? That's not what I want replacing Georgy Porgy in the Oval Office. GM or Ford, maybe but that's apples and oranges.

What scares me is that I'm feeling a pretty sour neglect from the Democrats and that they aren't going to pull together for Michigan. If that crap happens again, there is no way I'm voting for the candidate who just so happens to put their name on my ballot in November. What's even more scary is that Hillary Clinton won the nation's 8th largest state's primary and I haven't heard "boo" from her. What was her reaction even? Did she care? Does she even know? Well, I'm fully aware, and I'm disgusted. My vote is worth more than that and much more worth the value of "uncommitted". Talk about a democracy.

Actually, Karl Rove said here win was not a win the other day, and she responded to that, but not one of the candidates on the Democratic side has said anything about the primary results. In fact, I'm really starting to wonder if the party purposefully has told the media not to comment on it. Monica Conyers (Detroit city councilwoman) said something pretty stupid, herself, yesterday concerning the primary and something to the extent that the 40% uncommitted vote was a direct referendum on Clinton's characterization of part of the Civil Rights movement in the 60's (that it took both hope and powerful politicians to get the legislation passed, which is pretty much not up for debate if you ask me). I think the story is that polls showed that even if the other candidates were on the ballot, Clinton still would have recieved upwards of 50% of the vote, Obama would have came out in the mid-to-high 20's, and Edwards in the high teens. I think that that should have been a story concerning about how many of the larger states may go in this thing, but the results were completely ignored. To me, the story is that there was a late, but still concerted effort to embarras Clinton and she still recieved 15% more votes than here next highest competitors, meaning that it's going to take something much more than the current anti-Hillary vote in these bigger states to put her away.

It's funny you should mention DeVos and Romney in the same breath because I've been taken aback at how similar they've run their campaigns here in Michigan. If Romney is the nominee, I can't help but imagine he'd lose by the same amount as here as DeVos lost to Granholm in 2006. 39% of Republicans may have ate that stuff up, but Democrats and Independents didn't and won't even touch that foul candidacy in November.

It's funny you should mention DeVos and Romney in the same breath because I've been taken aback at how similar they've run their campaigns here in Michigan. If Romney is the nominee, I can't help but imagine he'd lose by the same amount as here as DeVos lost to Granholm in 2006. 39% of Republicans may have ate that stuff up, but Democrats and Independents didn't and won't even touch that foul candidacy in November.

• 1 month later...

Archived