State of Tennessee basketball

sleepy

Well, look at this. Half the 6 top rated RPI teams are from Tennessee.

1. Memphis 11-0 0.7037

2. Arizona 8-3 0.6816

3. St. Mary's 11-1 0.6719

4. North Carolina 13-0 0.6657

5. Tennessee 11-1 0.6525

6. Vanderbilt 13-0 0.6513

realtimerpi.com/

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tennessee is becoming quite the basketball state on the collegiate level. Its always fun to have multiple state teams to root for and increase the odds of a Tennessee school bringing home a championship. Of course I'm pulling for UofM until UT-Martin rebuilds their program to championship level standards (sarcasm on the UTM part!).

Now if only the Grizzlies could get get turned back around and get back to where they were a few years ago we would be set.

Tennessee is becoming quite the basketball state on the collegiate level. Its always fun to have multiple state teams to root for and increase the odds of a Tennessee school bringing home a championship. Of course I'm pulling for UofM until UT-Martin rebuilds their program to championship level standards (sarcasm on the UTM part!).

Now if only the Grizzlies could get get turned back around and get back to where they were a few years ago we would be set.

APSU and MSU both have good basketball programs. I can't speak for APSU, but when MSU makes the NCAA or NIT tournament its always a big deal in Western KY and portions of NWTN. MSU has a very solid fan base, which seems much geographically stronger than that attached to UTM - but I attest that to MSU's better sports programs.

Is MSU considered APSU's biggest rival in basketball? Or does that distinciton fall to another team?

Memphis has dropped to No. 2 in the RPI, a couple hundredths of a point behind UNC. Guess because Memphis didn't beat Marshall by 50 points. <_<

Good news is UT has gone up to No. 3.

Circle your calendars Tennesseans, February 23rd, UT @ UM, on ESPN Gameday.

The Beale Street Beatdown. :shades:

Memphis is no. one now in both polls, with UT at 3 and 5.

UT should coast through the rest of the SEC schedule. I know Vandy is good, but I don't really know how good.

UM should likewise coast through the CUSA schedule (an understatement). Only big game up before the Vols is Gonzaga in Memphis. So both teams should easily still be in the top 5 by the time they meet.

The UT-UM game in Memphis will also be ESPN's game day feature. Should be a good one.

• 3 weeks later...

The Vols will move up to #3 after Duke's loss last night. It would be killer to be a 1 vs. 2 game.

Also, Austin Peay (18-9 overall, 14-3 conference) just wrapped up their second straight OVC regular season title. This ensures them a spot in the NIT if they don't win the conference tourney. But, a big dance ticket would be nice for the Peay.

Game on!

Tennessee v. Memphis, no. 2 v. no. 1, Saturday, ESPN Gameday, 10 AM CST, FedEx Forum, Memphis.

Anyone going to the game? The Forum ought to be rockin'!

CUSA is 3-0 against the SEC this year.

Go Tigers!

It was reported earlier this week in the Chattanooga paper that this will only be the fifth time in the history of college basketball of a No. 1 vs a No. 2 matchup between two teams from the same state. This is an extremely rare event, indeed.

The first two times it happened were way back in 1961 and 1962. The games were Ohio St. vs Cincinnati in the NCAA championship game. Cincinnati won both of the games. The other two times it happened were the 1990's and were games between North Carolina and Duke.

It was a fun night on Beale with lots of excitement and city/school pride visible all over the city and downtown. Alas Memphis lost, but we lost to a good team from our own state at least! According to what I saw on ESPN on Sunday morning the game's outcome was in line with past #1 vs. #2 match ups, with the #2 team winning most of the time. It was a very good game and probably will go down as a classic match-up referenced from time to time in years to come.

It was a bummer for the undefeated streak to end, but at least UofM lost to a great rival from our own state. I think it was a lot easier to lose to UTK than UK, Duke, IU, etc. IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived