Klingman's Sold to Israel's

joeDowntown

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some updates on Mlive today:

Drueke site is top choice for Klingman's

"The former Drueke Co. game factory will be renovated with or without Klingman Furniture Co. in it, new company owner Bob Israels said Monday..... But there are two other possible locations -- one a ready-to-move-in downtown location and another on the Southeast Side that would require building a new facility, he said."

"If the Drueke site is chosen, it would require $6.5 million worth of renovation -- including extensions to the height and sides -- by June to accommodate Klingman's, Israels said."

"A glass walkway is planned to connect the Drueke building to the John Widdicomb Trade Center, 501 Fifth St. NW."

Some updates on Mlive today:

Drueke site is top choice for Klingman's

"The former Drueke Co. game factory will be renovated with or without Klingman Furniture Co. in it, new company owner Bob Israels said Monday..... But there are two other possible locations -- one a ready-to-move-in downtown location and another on the Southeast Side that would require building a new facility, he said."

"If the Drueke site is chosen, it would require $6.5 million worth of renovation -- including extensions to the height and sides -- by June to accommodate Klingman's, Israels said."

"A glass walkway is planned to connect the Drueke building to the John Widdicomb Trade Center, 501 Fifth St. NW."

Chicago's Crate & Barrel was awesome, I loved that place.

Really the only places I can think of would indeed be the Keeler Building.. and despite all the rumours and allegations I've seen on here, I continue to hear that Azzar is really a nice guy. :shrug: So, Keeler could definately be one of the potential locations. The building may need a bit of work first, though.

Edit: Where is there other buildings with such a green roof? I can't recall any..

Chicago's Crate & Barrel was awesome, I loved that place.

Really the only places I can think of would indeed be the Keeler Building.. and despite all the rumours and allegations I've seen on here, I continue to hear that Azzar is really a nice guy. :shrug: So, Keeler could definately be one of the potential locations. The building may need a bit of work first, though.

Edit: Where is there other buildings with such a green roof? I can't recall any..

Hey! You can't complain too much. I ranted about the green roofs a while back and was thrown under the bus. :lol:

Are they totally covering the Drueke facade? That would be a shame in my opinion, but still cool to bring Klingman's home. :)

Joe

The two renovated Widdicomb Buildings just North of the Drueke factory have had these green sloped roofs added to them. They're not horrible, but I didn't think it was going to be a common "theme" for this development district. For a "brand", it's ehhhhh, so so.

Bob could become my actual new HERO here in GR. I love his optimism and spirit. His quote about GR needing some hope was awesome, not to mention his willingness to back it up with personal investment.

Could he be our mayor and produce/sell awesome furniture?

Therein lies the million dollar question, and probably one of the reasons Bob Israels was quoted as saying that what he's doing is also very scary.

I think, though, it mentioned if a suitable place could not be found in time that he would temporarily move most of it into his Israels stores?

Assigning the word "great" to any man or woman should never be done casually or be based

on any one good event. It should be applied after careful, close-up consideration and with

much thought and wisdom. "Great" is for the history books with clear hindsight, not for

a "good" deed or an interesting business decision or an altruistic intention.

I could be mistaken, but I think the darker color IS glass. The picture in the Press the other day was not as blurry. The lighter color pink appears to be the vertical and horizontal brick sections on the existing building:

2177789855_708c19c98d_o.jpg

1906937229_937ea3df73_b.jpg

I agree with twoshort on the "great" definition. I think we should be telling more people how "great" they are, not fewer. :huh: You don't have to feed a hungry child or save the rainforests to be considered "great".

• 2 months later...

As part of the article today in The Press regarding Israel's moving Klingmans into the old Rogers department store, it looks like the Drueke building is going to be used by someone else. He (Israels) mentioned a New York-based retailer looking at the site...any idea who this might be?

Archived