The Urban Planet - GR Road Race Challenge

GRDadof3

Any runners out there? Or anyone really wanting to get in better shape? This is not about New Year's resolutions, but just wanting to be healthier period.

I'm getting ready for my first 5K ever :yahoo: , which is the Irish Jig, March 15th, 2008 in East Grand Rapids. I switched from walking daily to running just a few months ago, and I'm now up to 3.5 - 4.0 miles about 5 - 6 days a week.

Anyone else want to join in? There are about 10 weeks to go before the race, and you should plan to be able to run at least 3.5 miles continuously by then. A 5K is about 3.15 miles. Here's the Irish Jig race map in EGR to give you an idea on how far it is.

There are plenty of links on how to prepare for your first 5K race, many with 10 week training programs. Perfect timing! :good:

BTW: I also read that the 5/3 Riverbank Run just added 10K (6.3 miles) run to their lineup this year. A nice jump up from a 5K.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GRDadof3 you will enjoy running a 5K they are a lot of fun. I'm definitely going to run the Riverbank 5K this year, I did a couple of years ago and have run a few 5K's since, my best time was the Riverbank Run. Are you shooting for a certain time for the Irish Jig?

I think I'm in. I've been needing to exercise more and this will give me a goal to strive for. I've never ran in a 5K race before and I've always despised long distance running, but I'm not active playing football and basketball anymore... So here we go!

I think I'm in. I've been needing to exercise more and this will give me a goal to strive for. I've never ran in a 5K race before and I've always despised long distance running, but I'm not active playing football and basketball anymore... So here we go!

I'm in for the 25k! I'm just ending my longest break in running since 1999...the 2007 25k was the last time I ran!

Now that my wee baby sleeps all night, I might be able to start training again in the morning...see you all there, but be careful - I never ran at all and after my first 5k, I moved up to the 25k and then four marathons! It's addicting!

I've been running long distance for eight years now, and every time I take a break (2 weeks off after an xc or track season) it hurts to get back into it. So if you start training and you don't seem to be getting anywhere for 2 weeks, don't fret! Your body will adapt soon enough!

Yeah, the first 2 weeks is definitely the hardest. I remember that from my cross country days back in high school. I can barely run a mile without killing myself now, unfortunately. I'd really consider doing this though, except I've already committed to a mountain bike race, the 24 Hours of Boyne. Yes, 24 hours, but it's not quite as bad as it sounds because I'll be part of a 4-man team. It's still pretty bad though. :)

Yeah, the first 2 weeks is definitely the hardest. I remember that from my cross country days back in high school. I can barely run a mile without killing myself now, unfortunately. I'd really consider doing this though, except I've already committed to a mountain bike race, the 24 Hours of Boyne. Yes, 24 hours, but it's not quite as bad as it sounds because I'll be part of a 4-man team. It's still pretty bad though. :)

I've been running long distance for eight years now, and every time I take a break (2 weeks off after an xc or track season) it hurts to get back into it. So if you start training and you don't seem to be getting anywhere for 2 weeks, don't fret! Your body will adapt soon enough!

I'm in for the 25k! I'm just ending my longest break in running since 1999...the 2007 25k was the last time I ran!

Now that my wee baby sleeps all night, I might be able to start training again in the morning...see you all there, but be careful - I never ran at all and after my first 5k, I moved up to the 25k and then four marathons! It's addicting!

I'm in for the 25K.

Speaking of road races in GR, the October, 2007 Grand Rapids Marathon got 2 mentions in the Feb, 2008 edition of Runners World magazine. Both came as part of their 2007 Marathon recap. One blurb was titled "Satisfied Customers" and contained a picture of the GR race. It mentioned the increase in participation this year due to the Chicago debacle. The other was about a runner who ran 4 marathons in 4 weeks, one of them being the GR Marathon. I'd include a link but it doesn't look like runnersworld.com has it available online yet.

Awesome! We'll have to have a meeting place before the race starts. The women's run is 30 minutes after the men's starts, but we can still meetup beforehand. :thumbsup:

Joe, I went from 6.5 mph and jumped up to 7.2 mph average in less than 2 weeks. It's amazing how fast you can advance (with at least one resting day per week).

I'm in for the 25K.

Speaking of road races in GR, the October, 2007 Grand Rapids Marathon got 2 mentions in the Feb, 2008 edition of Runners World magazine. Both came as part of their 2007 Marathon recap. One blurb was titled "Satisfied Customers" and contained a picture of the GR race. It mentioned the increase in participation this year due to the Chicago debacle. The other was about a runner who ran 4 marathons in 4 weeks, one of them being the GR Marathon. I'd include a link but it doesn't look like runnersworld.com has it available online yet.

I'm in for the 25K.

4 marathons in 4 weeks? That's child's play. :) On Free Beer and Hotwings (WGRD morning show) Zane's been training for a big A-T (Ataxia-telangiectasia) childrens fund marathon that's this weekend in Florida. They've also talked to Tim Borland, an ultra-marathoner who ran 63 marathons in 63 days, http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=16019208, to raise money to fight the disease (that's right SIXTY THREE marathons in SIXTY THREE days!). He actually ran one in West Michigan in October that started in Zeeland and ended in Jenison. I would link to that, but apparently the article is too old for mlive.com, I had to look it up in the GRPL NewsBank Database (I'll have my GRPL library card number memorized pretty soon).

The 5K sounds like fun. I'm pretty sure my short, but hard daily bicycle commute through downtown, plus the other cycling I do keeps me in good enough shape to run a 5k, I'm just not sure I'd be very fast. :) I could start taking Lucy (the one of my two Schnoodles who likes to run) for runs again when the snow clears up again.

The 24 hours of Boyne sounds like a blast, too.

Archived