GR Police Chief Search Input

GRcitymgr

In the near future, I will announce the finalists for the position of Grand Rapids Police Chief. I am interested in keeping my finger on the pulse of the community conversation about the candidates. If you have comments or other perspective on any of the candidates, once they are announced, please post them here. Kurt K.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In the near future, I will announce the finalists for the position of Grand Rapids Police Chief. I am interested in keeping my finger on the pulse of the community conversation about the candidates. If you have comments or other perspective on any of the candidates, once they are announced, please post them here. Kurt K.

Wow, did we just take a leap forward in credibility. Good to see you on here, Kurt!

For what it's worth, Kevin put in a full day at the Elves & More bicycle give-away. He probably won't tell you that, so I will.

Speaking of GRPD, wonder how the mural idea is progressing?

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/Mural-Id...p;hl=grpd+mural

[Jay's former seasonal temp planner I, '04-05]

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?...mp;topic_id=281

Please see today's media release naming the three candidates for Grand Rapids Police Chief. Please take advantage of the time scheduled for the public to observe the candidates as they are questioned by an interview panel the afternoon of January 17 at the GR Ford Presidential Museum.

You can feel free to post your remarks here. ~KFK

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?...mp;topic_id=281

Please see today's media release naming the three candidates for Grand Rapids Police Chief. Please take advantage of the time scheduled for the public to observe the candidates as they are questioned by an interview panel the afternoon of January 17 at the GR Ford Presidential Museum.

You can feel free to post your remarks here. ~KFK

I read Farris's and Belk's comments in the press about doing community policing. I think this is a great idea, and I think we have discussed this before on UP. The question is: is this feasible in our current economic state? If it's something that they vow to get done, I'm all for either one of them. I also like Farris's experience in the SE side. This part of town seems to be our trouble spot, and I think most will agree with me. I spend a lot of time in this part of town, and would love to see somebody come along who can address the violent crime we've seen in the area in recent years, and he's been on the front line.

I read Farris's and Belk's comments in the press about doing community policing. I think this is a great idea, and I think we have discussed this before on UP. The question is: is this feasible in our current economic state? If it's something that they vow to get done, I'm all for either one of them. I also like Farris's experience in the SE side. This part of town seems to be our trouble spot, and I think most will agree with me. I spend a lot of time in this part of town, and would love to see somebody come along who can address the violent crime we've seen in the area in recent years, and he's been on the front line.

• 3 weeks later...

That's what the mayor said on TV last night. It seems really stupid. The mayor basically said that both candidates were equally qualified, and that being the case the city should have promoted Farris because he's black. Kurt Kimball seemed to think Belk was slightly more qualified and chose him regardless of race.

In general I've liked Heartwell, but I think his comments last night were out of line.

You know, it's funny; when I read and researched the candidates I looked at their qualifications, experience, and vision for the department. Not once did I consider the race of the candidate.

It's unfortunate our mayor wanted a decision based on race rather than qualifications. Either we're going to be a colorblind society or we're not.

I'd vote for that. At least appointments would left to the people to clear any air

Second Ward City Commissioner David LaGrand said one way to avoid similar problems in the future is to put the power of appointments in the hands of the mayor and commission.

I would agree. Based on what I've read, Kimball took the best administrator and made him chief and I'm assuming Belk had some input in his new deputy who appears to be a great "street" guy. Let the chief get chained to the desk and the bureaucratic paperwork and let the deputy work with the troops and the citizens out on the street. Sounds like a real win for GR. Unfathomable that Heartwell and some commissioners would publicly criticize the choice :shok:

Kurt has mentioned, more than once, that he was privy to certain details and qualifications that were not made public. This is why we have a city manager--to manage the business of the city.

I can think of a glaring example where a strong mayor is a very bad idea.

It's stupid that something like this has yet again turned into a racail issue. I heard on one radio station that the DJ was thinking about boycotting the Police Department! LMAO! Good luck with that one. I think the right decision was made and the fact that the mayor says someone should have been chosen because he was black is rediculous. What if he would have said the cheif should have been white? Oh... well thats racism. One way to lessen the racial divide is to stop talking about the racial divide, its a self fulfilling prophecy. Kurt made the right choice.

IMO, these public comments made by our city commissioners are disappointing and frankly, quite embarrassing for the city. I think the Press hit the nail on the head with this editorial in Friday's Press.

Time for the mayor and the commissioners to stop being so divisive - they're currently doing more harm to the city than they are good.

Well apparently we don't know as much as you since you know the "word on the street." ;)

And if by "Bible Thumper" you mean a man who follows the principles taught in the bible; i.e love your neighor, honesty, equality, etc then that's terrible. I'd hate to have a man like that holding a position of authority in our city.

If I word this carefully, it will not come across as folks journeying through a loved ones' terminal illness should not be selected for high-level positions. If that were the case, I would never have gotten the jobs I landed in 1997-2000.

With today's details about Mr Farris' wife, I think Kurt has shown a great kindness to James, and much astute forethought for the city and GRPD.

Found in Wednesday's GRPress:

I don't know who is more of an embarrassment to their city, Mayor George Heartwell or Detroit's Kwame Kilpatrick. Shortly after his appointment, the mayor cut the legs out from under our new police chief, Kevin Belk.

Amazingly enough, this was published in the Letters section...not the comics.

Archived