225 N. Cedar St.

atlrvr

The Boulevard Company is proposing an 11-story condo building on N. Cedar Street (about a block north of Cedar St. Tavern), that would be across from Elmwood Cemetary.

post-1289-1199480423_thumb.jpg

I usually detetest gothic-revival, but considering this will have a permenant unobstructed presence overlooking Elmwood Cemetary, I actually kinda dig it, IF the building is constructed with stone/masonary all the way up, which I feel certain it won't be.

The view will be amazing from anything 3rd floor and up.

This is still in the rezoning approval stage, and won't get council approval until March at the earliest. This is a big increase for the 3 or 4-story building which they had gone through the process of getting permit approval 2 years ago.

post-1289-1199480423_thumb.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a stream going right through there; wonder how they plan on dealing with that.

This seems like a pretty ideal place for an all-residential project. Too out-of-the-way for retail. At first thought, putting up a high rise residential tower across from a cemetery sounds a bit macabre, but on second thought, the cemetery's presence assures that residents will have permanent, unobstructed skyline views.

Regardless, this is a great deal for the Gateway Village area.

No....this would be somewhat close to the Elementary School/Rays Splash Planet.....most people have no occasion to drive down this strip of Cedar, but there is a "well worn" apartment building and I think several single family houses going away.

Yeah those apartments would have to go away. I think the building could easily fit north of the stream an incorporate that into a park of some sort. It would not only have great views of the cemetery, but good views of the skyline.

Architecturally I think that if its done well, the gothic thing will look good. But you don't see many modern gothic buildings look good these days.

That said, getting rid of those apartments and building that will probably improve that part of of 3rd Ward.

Would they have easy access to the entertainment block on the other side of the cemetary? That could be a draw.

Makes me think of the hotel commercial when the couple are commenting on how peaceful their room seems, then they go out onto the balcony of their room and see that the hotel backs up to a huge cemetary.

I am fairly certain they'll use cheap materials and it will look as bad as it can possibly look, however, if they used proper materials, I think it looks kind of cool.

My running route last year took me past those apartments, and they are very much an anomaly uptown. There were a few times when I didn't feel safe, but for the most part, I'm sure they were like many other lower priced apartment complexes throughout the city.

Here is the site:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...4&encType=1

I'm not particularly fond of that architectural style- but I do like the concept for two reasons -

1) It's Un-Charlotte (Especially uptown). Gives more architectural character and variety for our city.

2) It fits in well with the graveyard at it's footsteps, and is much more appreciative of the gravesites, say vs. an uptra-contempo design.

At first I kind on liked the design, but after looking at it again it reminds me of a retirement home, or a mental institution. I'm not sure I like it so much now, and I think it will look dated after 5-10 years.

I loved the design til I noticed that ATLRVR's post said The Blvd Company. Then I started to think WWCBD (aka what would chris branch do) and became quite frightened. At first I had hoped stone/masonry, hardcoat stucco, and a nice fountain, now I'm expecting prefab brick pannels and dryvit, with a blue water, put put course type, dyed blue stream.

Archived