225 N. Cedar St.

atlrvr

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At least it won't be yet another floor or two of brick, floor or two of EFIS or stucco, flat roof same-ol same'ol like Ratcliffe, Gateway, Dilworth Walk, Ledge, Quarterside, 715 N. Church, etc. Like the design or not at least we might get a bit of variety.

^ The murder actually took place in an apartment about a mile away; the body was dumped in the cemetery so O incorrectly reported that the victim was killed there.

The area around the cemetery could definitely become one of the city's safer districts IF developed properly. It's still recovering from decades of industrial use and general neglect, but it has a lot of the same characteristics as other inner-ring neighborhoods that have redeveloped successfuly in recent years. Bear in mind that residents of 225 N. Cedar will be only two blocks from the middle of Gateway Village, have easy access to free transportation on the Gold Rush, be within about a half-dozen blocks of the Harris Teeter, and enjoy the biggest back yard in the city. Also, if the Music Factory plan comes to fruition it'll be directly across the cemetery, perhaps 3/4 of a mile away from 225 N. Cedar.

Looks like a good step in the right direction for the Gateway area. In a perfect world it'd be nice to see the momentum continue down the other side-streets that border the cemetery.

Other than the slightly sketchy apartment complex behind it, and the off-peak hour visitors to the cemetery, I think it would be relatively safe. Gateway Village is pretty safe even at night, so I wouldn't think twice about living there... at least in terms of location.

• 1 month later...

Many of you may not like this, but think about this: a building designed like this might cause somebody who would not otherwise consider living downtown in an ultra-modern glass scraper, to consider it. Some people just eat this sort of stuff up. I guarantee that there will be a sizable contingent of people who will consider this to be the best designed, or most attractive condo tower. And quite frankly, their taste in architecture and style is none of your business.

This is a fairly out-of-the-way place, and it's a great place for an all-residential building. I, personally, am an almost complete architectural agnostic; I value historic preservation, quality materials (questionable in this case), solid construction, and proper urban form, but I don't subscribe to the philosophy that every building that goes up must be revolutionary in some way. In fact I think that highly derivative projects like this one, particularly when in a location like this one, are great - because they expand the appeal of urban living. I'm not elitist and I think that even people with "kitschy" tastes that nonetheless want to live downtown should be catered to and welcomed with open arms.

For the record, I am mostly against this building due to what I assume will be inferior materials.....IF, and that's a big IF this were stone above masonary, then I would be excited, if its hard-coat then I would shrug, and if its EIFS, then I think it would be a travesty if it were to get approved.

Other than the question about materials, which I agree should be quality but doubt they will be, I'm all for something that doesn't look like everything else. I don't mind this design at all. I wouldn't choose it, but I personally like a mix of styles and design and get quickly bored with half of what is built in Charlotte. To me, at least they choose something not already seen in the area, and I agree with the statement a few posts above -- there are people out there who will absolutly LOVE this and it might bring some folks downtown that otherwise wouldn't come this way.

Many of you may not like this, but think about this: a building designed like this might cause somebody who would not otherwise consider living downtown in an ultra-modern glass scraper, to consider it. Some people just eat this sort of stuff up. I guarantee that there will be a sizable contingent of people who will consider this to be the best designed, or most attractive condo tower. And quite frankly, their taste in architecture and style is none of your business.

This is a fairly out-of-the-way place, and it's a great place for an all-residential building. I, personally, am an almost complete architectural agnostic; I value historic preservation, quality materials (questionable in this case), solid construction, and proper urban form, but I don't subscribe to the philosophy that every building that goes up must be revolutionary in some way. In fact I think that highly derivative projects like this one, particularly when in a location like this one, are great - because they expand the appeal of urban living. I'm not elitist and I think that even people with "kitschy" tastes that nonetheless want to live downtown should be catered to and welcomed with open arms.

Archived