225 N. Cedar St.

atlrvr

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know, I had not thought of the haunted house-cemetery connection but actually like the project a lot better in light of the idea. When "The Cat in the Hat" movie was being filmed, I read that passers-by would stop to ask where the sales center was for these whimsically designed homes. Maybe a fantastical and dramatic environment is what people are looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm...it seems the gothic design is done....replaced me a very "typical" midrise design. It has shrunk to 8 stories.

The architect has also been replaced. Interestingly, the new architect is Housing Studio....no more Miller.

New renderings are on page 4 of this site plan.

Site Plan

Editted to correct link

It looks like all they did was chop off the top half which was the interesting and very different part of the project. I think they could have toned down the old rendering a bit to make it less of a wow factor but not to the point of it being like rockhilljames said "Blandy-mcBland"

Sad. Finally you get someone brave enough to design something that was at least out of the contrary, whether you liked it or not, and in a flash, someone makes a photocopy of designs that have already been made in Gateway Village. I'll reserve anymore complaints to see a better rendering, but it's certainly not as striking as the original, which is a disappointment in my book.

This project goes up for its ReZoning hearing on Monday and the Charlotte Planning Staff are recommending denial. There is a long list of items in the site plan that would need to be corrected before the Planning Staff will support the Rezoning. They are too numurous to list here but you can read the report here.

I'm sort of apathetically ambivalent on this. The castle-y design that we started with was very easy to deride and with the WWCBD materials would have looked thoroughly ridiculous in reality. The new one is bland, but this is an also-ran project anyway, and the scale and shape is still the ideal model and fits very well into the Gateway Village context. Then, you lump in the fact that the new design has much more glass in the facade.

Archived