FedEx opening Nashville office?

Nashville_maestro

I just read in the tennessean that fedex just purchased 77 acres near Nashville international. They're reporting that the company currently is not discussing plans for the land but people are thinking its going to be a data center. Two points for Nashville!

In unrelated news i finally got an iphone and this is my first post with it. Crack open the champagne!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard rumors that Mathew Thornton has been to different cities across the U.S. scoping out open land at airports while the price of land seems to be at a good bargain.

I know in Oklahoma they are bying land at the world airport there and are combining a couple of domestic ground operation stations into one mega station. Why? This puts all of the delivery trucks closer to the air freight and reduces the stem time created by having CTV trucks transport the freight to stations. This could be all they are doing in Nashville. 70 acres suggest otherwise though, I'll keep you guys updated as I hear more. Another idea is that FedEx may be looking in to some international hubs because of there desire to grow international. I will say this though...Fedex isn't as big of a deal as you may think. Most of their hub operations create mostly part time work...So lets hope that this isn't going to be a central sort facility. For instance, in Memphis they have 50,000 employees, 70% of which are part-time...

Well we know for a fact that they want a secondary sorting hub in Nashville. This was reported in the NBJ about a month ago. The data center is news to me, and quite frankly, is a shock! To have both the secondary hub and data center here is a coup for the airport!

They just "recently" opened a 65,000 square foot sorting facility at the airport and have a very large FedEx Ground presence here in two seperate locations. FedEx has a large footprint in Nashville to begin with and their executives have expressed intrest in growing out at the airport. There is plenty of land to do so if they choose.

Well... if this is a data center, 77 acres would be one HECK of a data center. Unless there is another definition of data center, besides that which houses computer servers and related equipment, that i dont know about.....

The data center where we have our company servers is definitely less than 1 acre in size, and has several thousand servers in it. I can't imagine FedEx (or anyone else) having enough servers to use up 77 acres :) But hey, what do I know, really..

From the Memphis forum:

Highriser, I have seen the sea of planes. Being in aviation photography, I am not stupid to the things around me and the goings on either. I know more than most people IN the industry know just through my contacts in the business'. Some of those business' being FedEx.

Here's proof that I have seen the MEM sea of planes and it's a damn shame that isn't here, but at the time they located there, Memphis was the "Center" of state government and Nashville was a slum. http://www.pbase.com/lexyky/memphis_airport

This is nothing personal towards you, but I am not a complete idiot like you may think I am. FedEx ops. are not rocket science and what they do on a daily basis isn't hidden knowledge. I'll just leave it at that.

From the Memphis forum:

I know more than most people IN the industry know just through my contacts in the business'. Some of those business' being FedEx. Here's proof that I have seen the MEM sea of planes and it's a damn shame that isn't here, but at the time they located there, Memphis was the "Center" of state government and Nashville was a slum. http://www.pbase.com/lexyky/memphis_airport

This is nothing personal towards you, but I am not a complete idiot like you may think I am. FedEx ops. are not rocket science and what they do on a daily basis isn't hidden knowledge. I'll just leave it at that.

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with an engineer today and she confirmed my initial gutt feeling. FedEx is trying to consolidate stations everywhere and it appears that this is nothing more than FedEx combining two maybe three stations into one mega station and also connecting it to a sort facility to reduce over head. Also, FedEx doesn't by properties, they lease. This land is more than likely being purchased by a second party; they will build on it to FedEx's sepcifications and FedEx will in turn lease the property from them.

The same thing has been done in Knoxville and is may be about to happen in Dallas. FedEx never lays off its employees, but instead, they find cost cutting ways to save money. THis is a way for them to save. They don't have to buy or sell property, they just pick up and move and consolidate, and save jobs while doing so.

I know this wasn't the news we were all hoping for, and I hope these engineers were wrong...but I do not think this is wrong...

I spoke with an engineer today and she confirmed my initial gutt feeling. FedEx is trying to consolidate stations everywhere and it appears that this is nothing more than FedEx combining two maybe three stations into one mega station and also connecting it to a sort facility to reduce over head. Also, FedEx doesn't by properties, they lease. This land is more than likely being purchased by a second party; they will build on it to FedEx's sepcifications and FedEx will in turn lease the property from them.

The same thing has been done in Knoxville and is may be about to happen in Dallas. FedEx never lays off its employees, but instead, they find cost cutting ways to save money. THis is a way for them to save. They don't have to buy or sell property, they just pick up and move and consolidate, and save jobs while doing so.

I know this wasn't the news we were all hoping for, and I hope these engineers were wrong...but I do not think this is wrong...

They just added on to the facility off Briley and Whitebridge not too long ago. I dont see them closing this facility because the airport area is a pain to get trucks in and out easily. The trucks need quick and easy access to the interstate. Now the center they have in Metro Center , probably. I guess we will not know for sure till Fed Ex officially says what the plan is. I have had info I thought was good but was not. Not to take away from highriser, his info might be dead on. We will have to wait and see.

Archived