Charlotte Soccer Fans

cooperdawg

I'm not sure if this follows under a general topic elsewhere on the page or if this should be its own topic (move this thread elsewhere if need be), but I thought I'd give this forum a try as it does pertain to Charlotte...

Following a trip to Spain back in September, I attended a UEFA Champions League Soccer Game, my first, and have really found a liking for the sport and was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere around the city where fans or foreigners gather to watch Premier League matches? I've been following the action at home on Fox Soccer Channel since October, but wouldn't mind finding some like-minded individuals who get together to watch matches, especially on Saturdays.

I know Jackalope Jacks on 7th occasionally has matches on and some fans around, but didn't know if anywhere else in Charlotte televised games or if anyone knew of any groups of fans that gather at a venue around town for the weekend slate of matches (sort of like how certain bars cater to a particular pro or college football team). Any input would be great, thanks in advance.

I took the arrogant American approach to the sport for a long time that it was a boring game. But, having now been to a match, I have a new found appreciation and fondness for the sport, so give it a try or attend a game some time. Lots of fun, hoping for a heads up to find some new fans to jaw and cheer with.

Cooperdawg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no better place to watch european/english sports than Big Bens on Providence Rd, in Myers Park. There are a few other small bars, of the english variety, that show soccer/rugby/cricket.

I hear ya Cooperdog! I was in Germany for the World Cup finals and what a blast it was just watching in the "town square". Soccer is a great sport, but the US just wont capture its potential. Its hard to get into it when nobody else will.

Its funny how soccer and hockey (both very similar) dont catch on in the US like other sports. The US making it at the International level is what it will take to catch on.

Yeah, not boring at all. I've adopted Chelsea as the team that I follow as those were the fans I met while in Valencia to see The Blues take on the home team. They took me in, got me a ticket, and showed me a great time before, during, and after the game. I hope to make it to London and catch up with that group at some point and take in a match at Stamford Bridge. I learned the majority of the songs during the all-day tailgate before the game at an Irish pub in the center city. I sang along all game long like I'd been going for years. Might be the most fun I've had at a sporting event, and I've been to a ton of college football games all across the country as that is my true passion.

Since then, I've been reading about and watching a ton of soccer, learning how all the leagues work, promotion, relegation, pretty cool system and all the history behind it in Europe. I doubt it will ever catch on here in the States, I'm fine with that, too much competition from other sports. But, I'm a new fan for sure.

Haven't been to Big Ben's yet, I'll have to give that a try, maybe the weekend of the 19th. My brother in law and all of his friends in Chapel Hill are soccer fanatics, so its fun to watch all the games with them when I visit (one is an Arsenal fan, one Man U, and one Blackburn, so lots of trash talking). I'm looking for a good fan base here to catch a few matches with. If anyones up for it at some point, let's give Big Bens a run sometime.

RealMadrid, can't tell where your loyalties lie... :lol:

Mobuchu, envious, World Cup finals, awesome. My friends are already scrapping together cash for airfare and tickets to the 2010 Cup in South Africa. May be a little too rich for my tatse, but keeping my options open.

Yeah Sir Ed's is a great place. I saw a few matches there a few years back, but the setup doesn't it lend itself to sports viewing very well. The '02 World Cup was great when Champs (now Quaker Steak & Lube) opened early to show the games. It was a pretty raucous crowd at 8 am esp. for the US games but there were plenty of other fans as well. I worked with a bunch of european expats back then so it was pretty entertaining.

With FSC showing live matches the last couple of years the interest in european soccer has certainly intensified. Wouldn't be surprised to see a mainstream sports bar around here latch on to it a little more.

Yeah Sir Ed's is a great place. I saw a few matches there a few years back, but the setup doesn't it lend itself to sports viewing very well. The '02 World Cup was great when Champs (now Quaker Steak & Lube) opened early to show the games. It was a pretty raucous crowd at 8 am esp. for the US games but there were plenty of other fans as well. I worked with a bunch of european expats back then so it was pretty entertaining.

With FSC showing live matches the last couple of years the interest in european soccer has certainly intensified. Wouldn't be surprised to see a mainstream sports bar around here latch on to it a little more.

• 5 months later...

Its pretty short notice to ask, but has anybody been out watching the Euros and can suggest a good place that is showing the games? Was going to head out a little early today and try to catch Spain/Russia. I was hopingto find a place a little closer to Midtown than my usual Mexican place down off Carmel.

Its pretty short notice to ask, but has anybody been out watching the Euros and can suggest a good place that is showing the games? Was going to head out a little early today and try to catch Spain/Russia. I was hopingto find a place a little closer to Midtown than my usual Mexican place down off Carmel.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Good energy Dbull. Hoping to make it out there, but afraid will be stuck at home.

Looks like this game is only available on Telemundo (Spanish) and there offshoot Mun2 (English) which several carriers are giving free access to for this game. Anyone now if Time Warner will have Mun2 available?

• 2 months later...

Archived