$150 million complex planned for downtown Detroit

DetroitMan

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I think the first 12 floors are connected together.

I'm pretty sure the glass is just trying to have a finished facade on those sides of the tower. Those sides of the tower were originally designed to eventually be covered up enough by neighboring buildings to not be a bid deal, or at least considered to be "not the front" and not as important to have as well finished. Building the new building there kind of finalizes (for a while at least) the situation, so they're trying to fix the wall issue.

Pretty much the same thing was done for the Dime Building, and the newer addition (I think it's an addition) West of it. A wall was built partially up the Dime Building, to finish it off.

The same thing with the old building that 211 West Fort Street is next to/attached to. The building wouldn't have originally had limestone on the sides, because it would just be covered up by the neighboring building.

Ok, nothing new from the announcement... I just hope that they begin construction earlier than 2009. Granted, that means they'd have to sign with all of the retailers in the next few months, but who knows maybe everyone will get excited about being the first in the city.;)

one question, i noticed in the articles they were saying that the apartment towers will rise from the 12 story base so does that mean there will be a total height of 36 stories? I know the rendering doesn't show it to be that tall but it also doesn't show a height of 24 stories either, so maybe it will go a little higher?

I was going to reply w/ a smartalek remark, but then I realized it wasn't clear if I saw them or not. ;) oops!

I didn't see them yet. I heard on a radio interview last week where Kelly Cavanaugh of Metro Times said she was given more renderings from the architect who is allowing her to feature them in the Model D publication. So as Mr. Joe Public, just like you, I too am waiting to see what they look like.

I wonder how this project will affect Quicken's decision? Gilbert certainly seems like the type that would want to maximize results the company's move on the surrounding area.

Before this I thought the Statler was the better location with that part downtown needing more help . But with a solid proposal for the Monroe block, it's too good a chance pass up to develop the Hudson block and complete Campus Martius. It'd also be easier to lure tenants with thousands of new employees just blocks away.

Yes, but what if Gilbert had a similar plan for Grand Circus Park? Then would you say it seems like GCP would be the site of choice for Quicken? Besides, Campus Martius is within critical range of Grand Circus Park. If Gilbert built, or let's say was a part of a similar development in that area, don't you think more areas than just Campus Martius could spur high end projects in which people and other developments will congregate.

This kind of helps make my argument about the freeways that surround downtown Detroit. People perceive them as a physical barrier that development can't proceed beyond them. Obviously not true, and this also pertains to Campus Martius. There should be no physical or psychological barriers to developing the city, despite all these super blocks popping up, freeway boundaries, or because people perceive Campus Martius is the only sustainable location for high-profile, walkable density in the core.

Photos property of Model D Media:

Wow! The density this will create...especially when circling Campus Martius...imagine it in a top-down convertible!

CadillacCenter1.jpg

Gotta think...the 12 story base will be just shy of the height of Compuware.

CadillacCenter3.jpg

CadillacCenter6.jpg

Check out the great article at ModelD. Kelly is doing a great job covering developments in Detroit!!

http://www.modeldmedia.com/features/caddy12608.aspx

Thanks Michi! Very nice article indeed. This project has me really looking forward to when construction starts. From the looks of the rendering with the surrounding areas it looks like this structure will be in the low to mid 300-ft range. What you guys think?

Archived