$150 million complex planned for downtown Detroit

DetroitMan

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about Kohls? I like it as a better option then JC Penney. Plus, Younkers or Dillards wouldn't be bad choices over Macy's which is struggling.

I wouldn't want to see a Macy's open and then close a year or two out because the chain as a whole is performing poorly.

It would be great to have these upscale retailers down here but, I just don't know. I really don't see a kohls going in at the downtown area(I think they're more suburban based). I think that they won't really accept anything south of JC Pennys, which won't be a bad thing. By the way what ever happened to that??

• 2 weeks later...
They just built the garage (at least in Detroit development terms), there is no way they would tear it down.

Also, you don't need to build anything tall on the Hudson site, there is more than enough space around downtown to build. It would also feel out of place in the context of the surrounding area. I would rather see a massive building in the 12 to 15 story range (similar to Compuware) than a 60 story slender tower surrounded by a large plaza.

They actually looked into the adaptive reuse of the Hudson's building. The problem was that J.L. Hudson's was just too big. The proposed plan was a mixed use complex that contained retail, a hotel, residential units, and office space. Financing for such a project was next to impossible to get, since the downtown renaissance we speak of now was in its infancy, and Detroit was an untested market for any sort of project like this, let alone a project on the scale of the J.L. Hudson building.

Perhaps had the building been able to hang on another 15 years, a mixed use development like that could've succeeded. Even then, such a project would be a long shot.

The only real feasible thing to do in the case of Hudson's was to demolish the building. The alternative would've been spending millions of dollars mothballing and guarding the structure with the slight possibility that it would be reused at some point in the distant future. Minimal maintenance also would've had to occur, in addition to the cost of securing the building over and over again.

While I hate the look of the Hudson's block, and I'd much prefer to have the J.L. Hudson Building still standing, from a feasibility standpoint, prepping the building site to receive a midrise tower with underground parking was the best decision they could've made given the economic situation of the city.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived