PROPOSED: Woodland Lofts in Asylum Hill

Chessplayer

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd like to reiterate as well that this is a great project; I've driven past this building many times and imagined it exactly as you seem to be doing right now. As for getting into development, do you have any ideas about how one should approach it? I am a college student right now trying to decide between a career in academia or pursuing something entrepreneurial. Development would be my number one choice but the cost of entry seems to be prohibitively high. Any suggestions?

So, I just drove by 158. Interesting spot, the little bridge going from the street to the building could be real cool. I always focused on the former Sealtest building across the tracks, too bad you couldn't work on both. I'm anxious and excited to see how this comes out, you have to invite us all to the grand opening.

I'd like to reiterate as well that this is a great project; I've driven past this building many times and imagined it exactly as you seem to be doing right now. As for getting into development, do you have any ideas about how one should approach it? I am a college student right now trying to decide between a career in academia or pursuing something entrepreneurial. Development would be my number one choice but the cost of entry seems to be prohibitively high. Any suggestions?

Hey Vlad,

I think you are wrong about this, unfortunately. I am from the area and had to go up to Boston for grad school because there were no accredited planning schools in CT. I haven't heard about any new program at Trinity. I think Southern is the only one with a program and it's very small. An urban planning school should most definitely be part of your Constitution College. Please make a note of it. Imagine the positive give and take that could come from planning students learning in such a compact city with so many issues and so much potential...

I'm not sure, but I think Trinity is now offering classes in something along the lines of Urban Planning, I could be wrong, of course....

Hey Vlad,

I think you are wrong about this, unfortunately. I am from the area and had to go up to Boston for grad school because there were no accredited planning schools in CT. I haven't heard about any new program at Trinity. I think Southern is the only one with a program and it's very small. An urban planning school should most definitely be part of your Constitution College. Please make a note of it. Imagine the positive give and take that could come from planning students learning in such a compact city with so many issues and so much potential...

Thanks Pete and Voice. And Vlad I've signed up for an urban planning course next semester; I don't know how much it will help in breaking into the development business, but it should give ideas and specifics as to what sort of projects work in a city environment.

I'm currently enrolled in the Urban Studies MS prgram at SCSU. I've only taken 2 courses so far, but it's a good program and the closest thing we have currently to an Urban Planning program in the state. I'm pretty sure that UConn is adding one soon and Trinity as well possibly. If anyone has any questions about the program at Southern feel free to send me a PM.

• 5 months later...

I wanted to update anyone who contributed to this fourm topic. This is Pete Marsele the developer on Woodland Lofts at 158 Woodland St. My business partner and I have found two private lenders who seem genuinely interested in funding this project. Commitments have been issued and we are working out the kinks in the lending agreements. As most of you might know, getting a loan for a home is difficult at the moment let alone a 28 condo unit development. But we have been persistent and optimistic over the past few months. Funding should in place by the end of July. Site plan approval is still needed, but we have very strong cases against the city to put this through. I will make everyone aware of the hearing date when it is set, if anyone feels they would like to have a voice. There has been a ton of interest from many prosepctive buyers via word of mouth. Due to not having site plan approval we have not made a website or information packets at this time. But we do feel we needed some information available to anyone who is interested. We have put together a brochure in pdf format. In the brochure is backround information the site, property tax benefit breakdown, amentities, neighborhood information, and architectural floor plans. If anyone is interested my email is below, drop me an email or reply to this post with your email and I will forward it on to you. I will keep this post updated as events occur if you guys wish. I will hopefully talk to most of you soon.

Best Regards,

Pete Marsele

[email protected]

Archived