The Heritage Hill Neighborhood Association Turns 40!

michaelskis

In this thread and poll, several people agreed that Heritage Hill is a historic gem (I would also add one of the premiere places in Michigan to live), but many people also agree that it is taken for granted.

With this being the 40th anniversary of the Heritage Hill Neighborhood Association, I have been wondering what can be done so that people don

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This October The University of Michigan/Urban Land Institute Real Estate Forum will bring in hundreds of people. Why not coordinate a tour with ULI. In 2009 Grand Rapids will be also be hosting the annual convention for The Michigan Historical Preservation Network.

Better yet, why not mark the district's 40th anniversary with the addition of a new urban park utilizing the soon to be available land (currently parking lot) at Madison and Pleasant.

I can't picture this parking lot. Is it in South Hill?

I have a boat load of ideas, but you may already know this through "momDowntown". ;)

Joe

Better yet, why not mark the district's 40th anniversary with the addition of a new urban park utilizing the soon to be available land (currently parking lot) at Madison and Pleasant.

In this thread and poll, several people agreed that Heritage Hill is a historic gem (I would also add one of the premiere places in Michigan to live), but many people also agree that it is taken for granted.

With this being the 40th anniversary of the Heritage Hill Neighborhood Association, I have been wondering what can be done so that people don’t take the neighborhood for granted and what can be done to make the next 40 years even more amazing than the last 40 years.

Currently we have 1300 homes within in the Hill and it is a mix of owners, renters, massive homes and small condos, and a wonderfully diverse population. But I don’t know if it gets the same attention as many of the other historic districts in the county.

What would you suggest be done to bring Heritage Hill back into the spotlight for its 40th anniversary, to make the attention bigger and better than ever before, and to reverse the trend of taking this truly wonderful historic neighborhood for granted?

This October The University of Michigan/Urban Land Institute Real Estate Forum will bring in hundreds of people. Why not coordinate a tour with ULI. In 2009 Grand Rapids will be also be hosting the annual convention for The Michigan Historical Preservation Network.

The funny thing about that house is it was moved there in the late 60’s from one of the St. Mary’s properties. Before that, there was no house there... Ever! The owners before that lived in the neighboring house. Now the people who own that neighboring house, own that piece of property too!

We do host a summer picnic at the intersection of Morris and Cherry, the Home Tour in October, a new garden tour this year, and of course, the annual Christmas Party in December. There are also a few other things in the works… but I will say more about those as the time comes.

*and yes, this summer we will be contacting radio, TV, and new paper media from every major City in the US, the National Trust for Historic Preservation, This Old House Magazine, Old House Journal, every regional news paper in Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois, and just about everyone else we can think of. Now if anyone prints/says anything is another story, but THIS WILL BE A BIG DEAL. I hope that Wood TV 8 will do something on it considering the Neighborhood Association Office is in their parking lot.

Archived