Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

torgo

Oblique aerials of GR

25 posts in this topic

That is cool. Is most of downtown online? (I tried searching it, but wasn't having much luck.)

Awesome, I love live search! They have made these images available for other cities before and they are fun to look at.

Also, if anyone from Muskegon looks at this thread the bird's eye view is also available for the downtown Muskegon area. Although it looks like the images were taken in the spring of 2007, so they are already becoming outdated.

This is flippin' AWESOME! I just wasted the last hour checking various places I'd likely be trying to find my car. No luck.

Very Cool. I wish I new about this when I did allot of my sketchup projects. See the good quality photos and oblique shots would have been a huge help in getting my models accurate.

These are only available as of late, within the last 60 days I would say.

Well I did not find anything cool in GR, but I did find where I was standing when the picture of St. Joe was taken. Right at this corner. I bet if I looked hard enough I could see myself.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...6&encType=1

The photo was taken about the same time as this one. Quite the coincidence that it was on the same day as the parade

jimmy.jpg

Bird's Eye View actually goes all the way up to the very tip of the west side of Greenville - but stops right at the city limits. :(

-bummed-

How are you getting to those? I go to maps.live.com and all I see is a "What?" and a "Where?" search box that ends up being no more than an ordinary web search.

go: here then just zoom in to the area you want to see and select "Bird's eye" for the view.

I'm totally fascinated by this! I just found the house I lived in when I was at U of M!

How are you getting to those? I go to maps.live.com and all I see is a "What?" and a "Where?" search box that ends up being no more than an ordinary web search.

Hey, how do you save a link to a specific birds eye image?

There's nothing for me to zoom into. I literally see only the pair of search boxes and a "Live Local Search Beta" banner on top and the Microsoft Copyright and Privacy Policy. Nothing else, not even any links aside from the Privacy Policy.

Nevermind, I figured it out. Microsoft is being monopolistic again by not allowing Opera users to use any features on their website. I set Opera to Mask, not Identify (Usually just identify does the trick) as Internet Explorer so that the website thinks I'm using IE, and poof it works!

/target Microsoft

/rude

Hey, how do you save a link to a specific birds eye image?

That's a good question. For now I think the best way to do it is do a screen shot, upload the resultant image to flickr and then post a link to the uploaded image using the forum's insert image command or cutting and pasting flickr's generated image URL source code for message boards.

I too am having trouble getting past the simple "where" bar... I've tried in Safari (Mac) and Internet Explorer (Mac)... is Bill Gates trying to exclude me?

Just type an address in the location box, hit Enter. You'll fly from a moon's eye view of Earth right down to your location!

What's really fun: from 49503, go visit, say 77077 (that's my brother in Houston). Warp factor 5! It backs out, zips across the country, then plummets down to the new place. Has to be a fairly dense area to have the super high-res bird's eye view.

So far I have jet-packed around my own house & 'hood, DT, and the paycheck provider's. Visited my sibs and our family home near Detroit, sent them some screen shots. (Dad's big old flat roof --in Michigan --such a bad idea.)

Probably. Microsoft has gotten bad press before for prohibiting access from certain browsers/computer systems.

Live Maps have been updated, at least my street has. (New monochromatic roof installed June 2007.) Looks like late April-early May 2008.

(Didn't know about the neighbors' trampoline.)

Live maps is by far the best of the free internet mapping services. Google and Yahoo don't even come close.