Oblique aerials of GR

torgo

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I did not find anything cool in GR, but I did find where I was standing when the picture of St. Joe was taken. Right at this corner. I bet if I looked hard enough I could see myself.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...6&encType=1

The photo was taken about the same time as this one. Quite the coincidence that it was on the same day as the parade

jimmy.jpg

go: here then just zoom in to the area you want to see and select "Bird's eye" for the view.

I'm totally fascinated by this! I just found the house I lived in when I was at U of M!

How are you getting to those? I go to maps.live.com and all I see is a "What?" and a "Where?" search box that ends up being no more than an ordinary web search.

There's nothing for me to zoom into. I literally see only the pair of search boxes and a "Live Local Search Beta" banner on top and the Microsoft Copyright and Privacy Policy. Nothing else, not even any links aside from the Privacy Policy.

Nevermind, I figured it out. Microsoft is being monopolistic again by not allowing Opera users to use any features on their website. I set Opera to Mask, not Identify (Usually just identify does the trick) as Internet Explorer so that the website thinks I'm using IE, and poof it works!

/target Microsoft

/rude

That's a good question. For now I think the best way to do it is do a screen shot, upload the resultant image to flickr and then post a link to the uploaded image using the forum's insert image command or cutting and pasting flickr's generated image URL source code for message boards.

I too am having trouble getting past the simple "where" bar... I've tried in Safari (Mac) and Internet Explorer (Mac)... is Bill Gates trying to exclude me?

Just type an address in the location box, hit Enter. You'll fly from a moon's eye view of Earth right down to your location!

What's really fun: from 49503, go visit, say 77077 (that's my brother in Houston). Warp factor 5! It backs out, zips across the country, then plummets down to the new place. Has to be a fairly dense area to have the super high-res bird's eye view.

So far I have jet-packed around my own house & 'hood, DT, and the paycheck provider's. Visited my sibs and our family home near Detroit, sent them some screen shots. (Dad's big old flat roof --in Michigan --such a bad idea.)

• 1 year later...

Archived