The Wars Toll

PghUSA

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am for this war, true it wasn't Saddam who killed thousands of us on 9/11 but Hitler didn't attack Pearl Harbor, why did D-Day happen and all the carnage there? Is the war being handled properly N-O but no war is ever perfect, really its the opposite of perfect, I just pray for our troops and pray that justice will be done. I know we can all agree on that. As soon as they can come home from that hellhole I am all for it, I am hesitant to leave there only to have to spill more blood on it 10 years from now after the Golden Gate or the Sears Tower is gone. Then again it might be just Vietnam who knows.

As far as the entire list (didn't you know Pittsburgh is the center of the universe lol)

http://icasualties.org/oif/Details.aspx

You can search my state, division, etc. God Bless them all, just lets please remember the thousands that died at Omaha and Utah beaches, at Gettysburg and Bull Run at the Buldge and at Guanacanal. Freedom is never free.

Support our Troops!

http://www.defendamerica.mil/support_troops.html

http://www.heromiles.org/

http://www.adoptaplatoon.org/

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Dec2002/b1...2_bt632-02.html

On the other hand, hundreds and hundreds dead. Carnage everywhere. The sand soaked with the blood of men, many of whom fell - their young lives cut short - due to poor intelligence and poor planning. Just horrible ! A living hell !

Wonder if we would have prevailed over Nazi Germany had D-Day been covered by CNN ?

But to the primary question (and indeed charges flew about poor planning after D-Day), would Americans had the stomach to continue to fight Hitler if roving reporters spanned the beaches soaked with Allied blod and bodyparts ?

You know that Tet was a devasting loss for the North Vietnamese, don't you ?

You know that more died in a single *training exercise* for D-Day than have died in Iraq, don't you ?

Oh me. I know you are kidding, but the fact remains that terrorism is different.

Not to change topic from honoring the fallen, but I do want to make the point that the modern "war" is a different one. We are the giant. We are slow and have a big target - anything that's ours.

Terrorists are small, mobile, can use the giants tools against itself very easily.

To protect us - its going to require a completely different level of thinking and it has nothing to do with invading entire nations to overtake their government. Its not another government we are to be targeting - its terrorism. Terrorism comes in countless flavors. It was American terrorists that blew the OKC federal building up - afterall.

What were we supposed to do? Start a war against the US Government and overthrow it in order to create a beacon of light for those to follow?

Doesn't make sense does it? Arabic people as a whole aren't extreme lunatics. Saddam wasn't a terrorist. He was a vile dictator.

wow politics really is EVERYTHING lol.

All I know is that Germany and Italy never attacked us in WWII, we weren't defending ourselves on that one, the way FDR justified it was that Japan and Germany and Italy had "alliances" with each other, kinda like Saddam had the same terroist training camps that Ossama did in Afganistan. But again I hope we can win and get home quickly.

Back to honoring those that have made the ultimate sacrifice I hope you all checked out the links--both the list and the various ways we can support our troops over there. Lets focus on what we can agree on rather then what seperates us. Even if the war ended today the suffering and the impact of it on our servicemen and women would not change, for the PR of the board why can't we as a group "adopt a platoon" or start some correspondences with our bravest?

wow, you try to do something nice for the troops and this conversation pops up, I could list 5 reasons why it is the same war as WWII, but I would rather talk about the troops on this tread, all I do know is that Saddam was just as evil as anyone we ever fought. Again God Bless our troops, and when can we adopt a platoon?

Oh me. I know you are kidding, but the fact remains that terrorism is different.

Not to change topic from honoring the fallen, but I do want to make the point that the modern "war" is a different one. We are the giant. We are slow and have a big target - anything that's ours.

Terrorists are small, mobile, can use the giants tools against itself very easily.

To protect us - its going to require a completely different level of thinking and it has nothing to do with invading entire nations to overtake their government. Its not another government we are to be targeting - its terrorism. Terrorism comes in countless flavors. It was American terrorists that blew the OKC federal building up - afterall.

What were we supposed to do? Start a war against the US Government and overthrow it in order to create a beacon of light for those to follow?

Doesn't make sense does it? Arabic people as a whole aren't extreme lunatics. Saddam wasn't a terrorist. He was a vile dictator.

I agree with you, heckles, that the rules have changed. But the Bush doctrine does not suppose that taking over Iraq is the solution, but rather another aspect of making that area of the world which breeds terrorists, at very least more benignly disposed toward the West ?

Now I don't know whether it will work. And I'm not sure that the Bush Doctrine is that much different than the "root causes" apologizes eminating from liberal circles.

I do believe we need to kill those who are determined to kill us.

terrorist training camps, who said Al Qaeda? when somebody is going to blow you up does it really matter what terrorist organization they are aligned with? Wasn't it Al Qaeda strongman Al Zaqarwi who when badly injured as an Al Qaeda operative and widely known as a field general in Al Qaeda, was treated in Baghdad's best hospital, to the full knowledge of Saddam Hussein. Theres tons of evidence to that and to Saddams training of groups of muslim extremists. Anyways Im starting a new thread, this one is only to support our troops. As far as WWII goes Germany never attacked us, Italy never attacked us, and Japan attacked a military target not a cilivian target! Anyways I am surprised we arent concentrating on what we can agree on that our troops are heros.

Dale thanks for the link,

monsoon, I didn't say WMDs I agree that might be a red herring, but the links to Ossama are pretty damning, it'd be like if Clinton had Al Zaquari treated by the best surgeons at Bethesda Naval Hospital, thats what Saddam arranged for A.Z. (the Bethesda of Baghdad) after he was severly injured in AFGANISTAN fighting for Ossama.

I would like to see our troops ALL OF THEM taken off the DMZ in Korea, out of Europe and out of the M.E. tommorrow but as Eisinhower said before D-Day spill some blood today or spill much blood tommorrow--he was talking about forgetting Europe and a Germany and Italy that never attacked the U.S. as some in the 1940s were proposing we leave Europe to the Europeans.

The troops take orders thats there jobs, they did for Clinton in the Balkans and for Reagan in Beruit, to support them is to support the duty and sacrafice that made this nation what it was. Everybody on this board has different opinions of the war, thats the miracle of democracy, its sad that less then 50% of Americans go to vote after all that. What we can't do though is forget about the families and soliders serving us everyday.

Archived