Pyramid Harbor

memphica

Well, as the new Bass Pro Shop deadline looms i find it very interesting the new developments. The commercial appeal this morning states there is yet a third party interested in using the pyramid but lists "no name". Then i read on and there it is PYRAMIDHARBOR.COM ...... I tell ya.. If i didn't know better (and i don't) this is quite an elaborate posturing for pressuring Bass Pro Shops.

I really hope not, because this Pyramid Harbor theme park looks very interesting and exciting for the city. Heck if Bass pro wants to be envolved so be it.. be one of the "anchor stores" of the shopping plaza. Well enjoy the new website, and tell me what you think?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pyramidharbor.com just looks like Ericson's group has found a name they like better for the entire concept. Pyramid Adventure is now just the theme park within the Pyramid. The renderings look like the renderings that were released a few weeks ago when he met with the County Comission. I don't think it's a third option.

Looks like Greg Ericson is staying very active on his proposal for not only the Pyramid but also Mud Island.

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/Editorial/....aspx?id=100652 :good:

The article also mentions the Grand Carousel as part of his plan for Harbor Island. He will present his plan Jan. 22 before city council.I can't wait to see the outcome, This proposal is far superior to Bass Pro. To me their is only one logical conclusion go full blast with Ericson or do both, but Bass Pro alone is not the way to go.

The Ericson group needs to show the city council some proof of financing at this point. Otherwise this might start to sound like bluffing with the pressure tactic of bringing up Tunica. I like this plan, but I don't blame the city council for being hesitant...things that sound too good to be true sometimes -actually often- are.

Good Day Commissioner/Councilman/Mayor Herenton/Mayor Wharton-

I am writing in support of The Pyramid Harbor Resorts idea proposed by Mr. Ericson. After the endless hoops that Bass Pro Shops ( BPS ) has put Memphis through; I can not fathom why Memphis has not walked away from a company that obviously has commitment issues. There are a few points that I would like to emphasize about BPS:

BPS would be a horrendous eye-sore for our downtown skyline. I doubt very seriously citizens of Memphis would like to see a giant fish head welcoming visitors to Memphis.

BPS would not have local ownership. If you want to look at people who are out of touch with Memphis; look no further than people who own large attractions in Memphis and are not local ( Michael Isley ).

Ericson has an investment group that is willing to purchase ( instead of lease ) the Pyramid from the city, and actually take ownership of the building. BPS is only willing to lease, and is asking Memphis for money! Ericson is not asking the taxpayers to foot any bills.

Nobody will travel to Memphis to visit a Bass Pro store from more than a few hours away. It is a ridiculous notion to believe that BPS would be a large tourist attraction, and flood our economy with money. Why would anyone make a trip to Memphis for bait when you can order hunting, fishing, and camping gear from the internet?

Mayor Herenton would like more convention space downtown. Ericson's development plan would make the most sense. If Memphis needs to add convention space, because we are turning conventions away, one of the necessary components would be additional hotel rooms. Ericson's plan would add an additional 400 hotel rooms in the downtown area. If Memphis needs 1,000 more rooms downtown for conventions, then Ericson's plan puts us 40% of the way there!

BPS would not have a broad appeal like a state of the art indoor theme park. It's really simple, BPS is targeting people who hunt and fish. I know there are quite a few people who enjoy this in the South, but EVERYBODY of all ages, genders, nationalities, and races enjoy visiting theme parks.

I also went to the Pyramid Harbor's website and have copied and pasted the email addresses for all of the elected officials who have a say in what happens to the Pyramid. Please get the word out to as many people as possible forward your email to everyone in your contacts list. If we get enough people that support the Ericson project to contact our elected officials, then maybe they will take this project seriuosly. We need to keep our emails proffesional and polite so that our views are taken seriuosly. [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Good Day Commissioner/Councilman/Mayor Herenton/Mayor Wharton-

I am writing in support of The Pyramid Harbor Resorts idea proposed by Mr. Ericson. After the endless hoops that Bass Pro Shops ( BPS ) has put Memphis through; I can not fathom why Memphis has not walked away from a company that obviously has commitment issues. There are a few points that I would like to emphasize about BPS:

BPS would be a horrendous eye-sore for our downtown skyline. I doubt very seriously citizens of Memphis would like to see a giant fish head welcoming visitors to Memphis.

BPS would not have local ownership. If you want to look at people who are out of touch with Memphis; look no further than people who own large attractions in Memphis and are not local ( Michael Isley ).

Ericson has an investment group that is willing to purchase ( instead of lease ) the Pyramid from the city, and actually take ownership of the building. BPS is only willing to lease, and is asking Memphis for money! Ericson is not asking the taxpayers to foot any bills.

Nobody will travel to Memphis to visit a Bass Pro store from more than a few hours away. It is a ridiculous notion to believe that BPS would be a large tourist attraction, and flood our economy with money. Why would anyone make a trip to Memphis for bait when you can order hunting, fishing, and camping gear from the internet?

Mayor Herenton would like more convention space downtown. Ericson's development plan would make the most sense. If Memphis needs to add convention space, because we are turning conventions away, one of the necessary components would be additional hotel rooms. Ericson's plan would add an additional 400 hotel rooms in the downtown area. If Memphis needs 1,000 more rooms downtown for conventions, then Ericson's plan puts us 40% of the way there!

BPS would not have a broad appeal like a state of the art indoor theme park. It's really simple, BPS is targeting people who hunt and fish. I know there are quite a few people who enjoy this in the South, but EVERYBODY of all ages, genders, nationalities, and races enjoy visiting theme parks.

I also went to the Pyramid Harbor's website and have copied and pasted the email addresses for all of the elected officials who have a say in what happens to the Pyramid. Please get the word out to as many people as possible forward your email to everyone in your contacts list. If we get enough people that support the Ericson project to contact our elected officials, then maybe they will take this project seriuosly. We need to keep our emails proffesional and polite so that our views are taken seriuosly. [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Can anyone get a link to the article in the bizjournals that involved the consultants' initial recommendation? IIRC, they suggested multi-purpose, multi-tenant. Something along the lines of commercial/entertainment or commercial/educational or cultural. I think we should remind everyone of that recommendation.

also, any other outsider absentee owners or owners who have given Memphis the short shrift (i.e. suntrust, the oilers, etc).

also, I can't find the source that states bps wants taxpayer money.

Looks like the bass pro deal is not as tight as the city hoped. According to the Memphis Commerical Appeal. Bass Pro wants more time, and more money from the city and county. Bass Pro wants 6 more months to study the project. Bass Pro wantts to Pay 35,000 in rent which comes to 420,000 for a year. According to the commercial appeal this would fall short of covering utility, maintenance and other basic arena costs, which the city previously estimated at about $600,000.

They also want to be able to abandon the project "for any reason and at any time," without penalty.

Looks like the bass pro deal is not as tight as the city hoped. According to the Memphis Commerical Appeal. Bass Pro wants more time, and more money from the city and county. Bass Pro wants 6 more months to study the project. Bass Pro wantts to Pay 35,000 in rent which comes to 420,000 for a year. According to the commercial appeal this would fall short of covering utility, maintenance and other basic arena costs, which the city previously estimated at about $600,000.

They also want to be able to abandon the project "for any reason and at any time," without penalty.

Archived