Empty big boxes in Buckland

blink55184

I am all for smart development in the Buckland area. I think it is so stupid thought when so many new buildings keep getting built when there are SO many empties...

The building of the super Walmart will leave the old Walmart AND Sams club empty... while the new BJs was just built.

Vinny T's just closed

HOPS brewery just closed

The old Walbaums is STILL empty, while they throw up new restaurant buildings by the movie theatre

Two other storefronts in the current Walmart plaza still remain empty

countless others.....

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am all for smart development in the Buckland area. I think it is so stupid thought when so many new buildings keep getting built when there are SO many empties...

The building of the super Walmart will leave the old Walmart AND Sams club empty... while the new BJs was just built.

Vinny T's just closed thats a shame my wife and I were just given gift certificates for christmass

HOPS brewery just closed not a suprise, that place looked closed anyways. its a decent location and something will take its place

The old Walbaums is STILL empty, while they throw up new restaurant buildings by the movie theatre That area by the Theater has really picked up. There is definately not enough parking up there any more. I think that had to be a good move by the property owners to build this resturants, and put the eatery inside the theater.

Two other storefronts in the current Walmart plaza still remain empty

The walmart thing is rediculous though. Actually a whole bunch of this stuff is rediculous, but the problem is that you are talking about an area that straddles town lines, so there is no unified plan. Heck Manchester doesn't have any kind of plan at all for the overall good of the area so the odds of S Windsor or Vernon getting on board are nil.

Re: Your gift card- I gave them as gifts too- SHADY that the chain waited til just after xmas.... There is an article here about it:

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hr/hc-vi...0,5264882.story

The attorney general got involved, and if you call the number in the article, you can get a gift card refund...But you NEED the gift card number... I just called and I GAVE them as gifts, so I dont have them..Now I am forced to call the people I gave to and ask for the cards back!

http://www.journalinquirer.com/site/news.c...61556&rfi=6

http://bucklandstudy.org/

Quotes of note:

A regional group that's looking at traffic problems in the retail-heavy Buckland area of Manchester and South Windsor is strongly considering recommending new exits be built off interstates 84 and 291.

Maziarz explained that the plan would most likely include improvements on Red Stone Road in Manchester, which runs off Buckland Road into the cinema complex south of I-84.

Mazaiarz said the road could be extended over I-84 to bring drivers directly into the Buckland Hills mall area.

South Windsor Town Manager Matthew B. Galligan said the fly-over could provide an access to approximately 60 percent of the traffic entering Buckland.

Morrin said links are also being considered from I-291 into Buckland and extending operational lanes between exits 62 and 63 on I-84 eastbound.

Manchester's economic development and neighborhood services director, Mark Pellegrini, a member of the study's advisory committee, said the Buckland area has potential for more development as long as transportation options aren't limited to automobile traffic.

Pellegrini said possibilities exist to link entertainment, business, retail, and residential options that hopefully would reduce dependency on motor vehicles.

Pellegrini said the study is also researching transit improvements between Manchester and Hartford.

at first read I thought this was kind of crap with more highway changes to funnel more traffic into buckland. But then the mention of non car transit.

I am interested. I am listening.

But I seriously wonder how the area could be served by mass transit. Train would not work as best I can tell. There are a few places where a rail connection might be attractive to riders, but once they are done at evergreen walk they surely wont walk up to the mall, or to Best Buy.

at first read I thought this was kind of crap with more highway changes to funnel more traffic into buckland. But then the mention of non car transit.

I am interested. I am listening.

But I seriously wonder how the area could be served by mass transit. Train would not work as best I can tell. There are a few places where a rail connection might be attractive to riders, but once they are done at evergreen walk they surely wont walk up to the mall, or to Best Buy.

Archived