fayetteville already at 200k population?

wsncfay

i just read on wikipedia that fayetteville has already annexed that portion of fort bragg and now has a population of 203,875 people. i cant seem to find anything else on it, can someone verify that?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

this isnt excatly about fayetteville's population, well more its metro. but i'm living in augusta georgia now and everything says that its metro is over 500k. i find this well strange, because looking up the population of richmond county (the county augusta is in) and all its surrounding counties, well the ones that border it and the population of all of that reaches over 500k but under what is stated as its metro. i went an looked up cumberland county and all the counties that it has bordering it (except moore because its touching barely and the part is borders is fort bragg) but adding robeson, cumberland, hoke, harnett, sampson and bladen county the population off all that is well over 600k nearing 700k. i'm wondering what makes up a metro because in augusta they have aiken in its metro, its about 15-20 miles out and not much urban development between them, plus waynesboro in the county below richmond county is thrown in and its completely by itself, but pretty much what makes up a metro and if its say the surrounding counties i think fayetteville's metro is understated.

It all depends on the commuting patterns. If a county has at least 25% of the workforce in another county commuting there for work, then that county is included in the metro. Just because one county borders another doesn't mean that they automatically get combined into one metro area.

If this is true, then it's very misleading. When people see the population, they will assume that Fayetteville is much larger than it really is, although it's virtually the same place it was before said annexation. That's the problem with NC annexation laws.

Of course, I know you can't necessarily take Wikipedia as the gospel, especially if sources aren't quoted, so this may not even be true. I went there and there isn't any citation for that part of the entry.

If this is true, then it's very misleading. When people see the population, they will assume that Fayetteville is much larger than it really is, although it's virtually the same place it was before said annexation. That's the problem with NC annexation laws.

Of course, I know you can't necessarily take Wikipedia as the gospel, especially if sources aren't quoted, so this may not even be true. I went there and there isn't any citation for that part of the entry.

Archived