What's your Job/Career

brikkman

Hey guys, I've noticed that we all come from different walks of life and just wanted to know (if not too personal) what everyone does for a living, what college they attended if applicable, what city you are from, current age, and what they want to ultimately end doing in life?

Thought it would be a cool way for us to know each other outside debating on topics...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys, I've noticed that we all come from different walks of life and just wanted to know (if not to personal) what everyone does for a living, what college they attended if applicable, what city you are from, current age, and what they want to ultimately end doing in life?

Thought it would be a cool way for us to know each other outside debating on topics

Unemployed :(

Christopher Newport University, class of 2010 (possibly '11 at this rate)

Double-major in Political Science (pre-IR) and History

19 years old from Tabb in York County, Virginia

Career goals... I would like to be a foreign policy analyst for a government agency (or whoever wants to listen :)), while teaching at a university.

Transportation analyst/planner/consultant

Master of City and Regional Planning (MCRP) from Rutgers (2006)

B.A. from James Madison University (2004)

Originally from Portsmouth but lived in Norfolk too

25 years old

One day I'll establish a firm with a bit of a different business model than most firms in this industry.

Job: Intern Engineer, & Construction Admin when my company so chooses

School: 3yrs in Construction Engineering & Management @ Purdue Univ., 2 years off, now TCC for past 2 semesters

Hail From: Ely, Minnesota

Goals: Finish up my CE degree at VT with an emphasis in Structural, then either an MBA or Master's in Engineering Management, and finally work for a GC managing highrise residential or mixed highrise construction.

Background: Carpentry every summer since I could walk until 18 yrs old. Interned as an office engineer in athens, GA on a new high school project. Ended up here in VA somehow, worked 1 year of labor for a residential contractor in Chesapeake, then spent 1.5 years as an assistant to the PM of the VB jail renovation & expansion project, now working as a stormwater/wastewater engineer intern to pay for school.

Job: Structural engineer

School:

Undergrad: Penn State

Master: Univ. of Florida

MBA: William & Mary

Hail from: Johnstown, PA, 52 years old

Goals: Retirement

Background: Structural engineer for numerous buildings, from 34 story condo to 300,000 SF high schools

Also a registered architect, LEED Accredited Professional

Job: Verizon Network Technician for Fios(fiber network)

Education: TCC for EE degree(going through a divorce and have to put the transfer to ODU off for now)

Born: Norfolk, Va. @ Depaul Medical

Graduated H.S. from BTW in Norfolk and still live in Norfolk

Goals: to get my Bachelors in Electrical Engineering

Background: Worked with Glass, Electrical work, telecom(fiber, cat5, and teleco installer), Support the fios network for Verizon

I'm almost in the same boat as PKiddo.

Unemployed, but full-time student

Old Dominion University, class of 2010 (but probably '11)

Majoring in International Studies (5-year Masters) and possibly 2nd Major in PolySci, otherwise minor

19 years old from Chesapeake

Job: High School Teacher City of Newport News

Education: BA History (Norfolk State University) MA Urban Affairs (Norfolk State University) with course work at The University of North Carolina in Greensboro (Geography), Old Dominion University (Urban Planning)

Born: Portsmouth, VA Maryview Hospital

Graduated From I. C. Norcom High School

Goals: To continue my career in Education. I love working with the kids. I do not see anything in city government that I would like to do at this time.

Background: Worked as a designer for CDI Marine working with electrical systems on Navy ships, Join U.S. Army, I have been teaching for the last 11 years and now I am looking for something in Education that pays a little more :lol:

This is really interesting.

Student, 19 years old.

Major: International Economics and Japanese, Air Force ROTC

School: Valparaiso University, near Chicago.

Link to area: I lived in Chesapeake during Elementary school, and it was in Norfolk where I first found my love for skyscrapers and urbanity in general.

Jizzob: Sr. Systems Engineer for a software development company

Edumacation: Great Bridge High School, represent! (Went to TCC for a little bit). I owe it to two teachers for not failing me my senior year. I guess they knew I was an underachiever or something.

Goals: To invent cool things, change the world, and be a philanthropist.

background: Computers & electronics were a hobby when I was a little kid. Ran a local bulletin board in the early 90s, internet systems since way back when. Used to collect computers so have had experience with quite a lot of stuff (including big stuff, Sun Microsystems, Silicon Graphics). Also was in the "hack/phreak" scene so I kept up with how telephone stuff worked, networks, etc. Never for theft of service, but more on the tech side. Plus that scene is where all the smart people were when we were kids.

I was not born in Hampton Roads, but my parents did reside here. They were on vacation, so I was born down South.

Other interests: Music, SCUBA Diving, funny pranks, trying to figure out how to make real money so I can be a philanthropist.

You know. Looking back, I really owe it to my hobby for my job hookups. Out of anything, that is what generally got me the jobs. Then the jobs generally end up being boring, and I can see why people who don't work on things outside of work wouldn't excel.

I'm a transplant myself - my family is from the Northeast, I was born in Fort Worth, moved to Omaha, Hampton, then York County, then to Germany (Air Force) then back to York. I'm always surprised by how many people live in the same area for life - the military kind of made that impossible for me.

And I know a few people from Western Branch, only a few at CNU. It's cool how people are connected, especially evident in high school(s) and college.

Archived