Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRDadof3

East Grand Rapids to abolish parking requirements for retailers

10 posts in this topic

East Grand Rapids: Gaslight parking suitable for retail

By Juanita Westaby

The Grand Rapids Press

EAST GRAND RAPIDS -- Everybody knows walking is good for your heart. But who knew it was good for business?

A study committee plans to release a recommendation that parking variances -- which require businesses to provide a set number of parking spaces -- should be abolished for retail operations.

This comes on the heels of Olive's request to expand by 75%, and they only have 2.4 assigned parking spaces, and the current zoning requires 30. Olive's expansion was approved.

Wow this is excellent. Parking is abundant with the parking garage. Walking from there to anything in Gaslight is only a few minutes away. I hope this will spur new and diverse retail for the area.

Looks like the EGR commissioners have done their homework, gained some enlightenment, and instituted a wise policy change. Hopefully others will abolish these extreme ratios of parking spots-to-patrons.

I think parking is a problem in East Grand Rapids. Every time there is an event at the high school, all the parking spaces on wealthy are FULL! If I want to go pick up a pizza from roses express, I have to park in the parking garage or over by D&W just to stop in, while people at a school event park right in front of the place and stay there for 2 hours or more!

I wish there was a way to force all people who are attending school events to actually use that parking garage. It has to hurt business when people can't find and place on the whole street to park. I just want signs that say "customer parking only" or something like that.

Street parking isn't property of the business... it's public parking space. You can't design a well functioning system based on extreme cases. You end up with seas of parking that are only used a handful of times.

Parking meters can effectively control which spaces end up seeing use for businesses and which spaces end up seeing use for longer-term event parking. That's actually what parking meters were invented to do, not so much a source of revenue.

Keep the parking garage free and install some low-cost metered parking in Gaslight, and such a problem would be solved. Although didn't EGR try to bring up the idea of metered parking and was met by strong opposition from the residents?

Parking meters can effectively control which spaces end up seeing use for businesses and which spaces end up seeing use for longer-term event parking. That's actually what parking meters were invented to do, not so much a source of revenue.

Keep the parking garage free and install some low-cost metered parking in Gaslight, and such a problem would be solved. Although didn't EGR try to bring up the idea of metered parking and was met by strong opposition from the residents?

(teeny tiny violin playing in the background)....

JoshLeo, what is that, like, 50-60 yards of walking, if that?....

Just shows to go-ya, what wusses we (including myself at times) have become when it comes to using our hoofs to get around...

No offense to JL...just making a point about how convenience takes mental priority over providing good urban form. For those within walking, biking or public transit distance, this is a good thing...

...just making a point about how convenience takes mental priority over providing good urban form. For those within walking, biking or public transit distance, this is a good thing...