New State Fairgrounds Site?

Just heard about this on the news this morning. I looked through old posts because it sounds like this has been on someone's table for a while now and I figured it would have been discussed here already. Apparently there are 3 sites that are being investigated. Unfortunately, I was in a rush to get ready for work and failed to get all the details so I was hoping one of you folks my know more. Anyone know if there are any plans for a new small arena in the vein of Barton?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mayor Stodola said, "It is a bit surprising because I'm sitting here with a master plan for the Arkansas State Fairgrounds done just recently in June 2004, 36 months ago, that talks about development and redevelopment of facilities on the fairgrounds existing location."

I found the written version online a bit earlier: http://www.todaysthv.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=58729

It really sounds to me like the fairgrounds management is just trying to get some needed attention from LR. Didn't know anything a planned dragstrip in NWA, just the rumor of a track across the line in Mizz to try to attract NASCAR (absurd thought but it is going around). It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

EDIT: Just found this same topic in NLR Development, Sorry for the duplication!! Guess I should have looked harder.

I think the fact that the mayor points to a master plan from 2004 as his defense as to why the fairground management shouldn't be talking to NLR illustrates that this is most likely saber rattling from them. If the city developed a plan in 2004, why hasn't any of been implemented yet? At this point, how much of that plan should be retooled? (rhetorical question of course) I'd be pretty certain the fairgrounds folks knew about the master plan and were just a tad miffed at nothing being done.

The master plan in question was developed by the Fair Association. It is not a city mater plan. I don't think it is a matter of saber rattling. If they want to expand they must have room and at this time they don't. Also, one of the major problems with the fairgrounds has to do with access. During the fair all livestock and commercial traffic must enter at the rear of the fairgrounds. To do this they must travel down residential streets to get to the back entrance. I think the fair people are looking at the situation the same way the people in Memphis are. Sometime it is better to just start over.

The master plan in question was developed by the Fair Association. It is not a city mater plan. I don't think it is a matter of saber rattling. If they want to expand they must have room and at this time they don't. Also, one of the major problems with the fairgrounds has to do with access. During the fair all livestock and commercial traffic must enter at the rear of the fairgrounds. To do this they must travel down residential streets to get to the back entrance. I think the fair people are looking at the situation the same way the people in Memphis are. Sometime it is better to just start over.

True statement. Having said that, it would be interesting to see what ultimately could be done with that large area if the fairgrounds ever moved. As others have noted, that area does have some safety concerns. One wonders if something like this could be used to spawn a turnaround.

Archived