Peter Wege sets aside 577 acres for preservation

GRDadof3

Wege agrees not to develop 577 acres

Philanthropist Peter Wege has donated 577 acres of agricultural and undeveloped rural land in a conservation easement with the Land Conservancy of West Michigan and Kent County's Purchase of Development Rights program.

The easement, announced today, keeps the property under Wege's control, but forever bars development in order to maintain its present use and conserve its scenic value.

This is in Vergennes Township North of Lowell and East of Ada. An area that has seen a lot of housing growth over the last 10 years.

2182394593_6956b712fc.jpg

I think we have a competition going on as to who can leave the biggest legacy in GR. :) Who in our generations is going to follow all these heavy hitters?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd be surprised how many people in the GR area are young (40's and early 50's) who have personal net worths in the tens of millions of dollars...just drive through an average-looking industrial or office park in the area, and a lot of them house these folks' small businesses. You don't have to have operations in 40 countries or a workforce of thousands (or even hundreds, for that matter) to amass a small fortune. Every generation has its philanthropists, and with the leading-edge of the boomers turning 62 this year, it won't be too long before you start to see a new crop of people that would like to leave a legacy of some kind.

Also remember, the big names out there right now aren't dead yet, so don't write them off already!

The one thing that I think we will miss are the guys that can put up a $100mil hotel without worrying where the money will come from, and where the cost of the building is no object (return on investment not necessary). THAT is what I don't see in this next generation...

While I'm sure he'd be flattered, he's not in his 30's (low 50's) nor has his wealth status anything more than speculation. I do however agree that GFT is part of the next generation of companies (like X-Rite) that will lead GR forward (but I don't know what philanthropic endeavors would take place).

I still think the next big Bazillionaire is tinkering on a computer or in his/her garage or basement, or it is a company scratching to make ends meet.

Joe

and one of our friendly moderators works there!

:lol:

The one thing that I think we will miss are the guys that can put up a $100mil hotel without worrying where the money will come from, and where the cost of the building is no object (return on investment not necessary). THAT is what I don't see in this next generation...

Wege agrees not to develop 577 acres

Philanthropist Peter Wege has donated 577 acres of agricultural and undeveloped rural land in a conservation easement with the Land Conservancy of West Michigan and Kent County's Purchase of Development Rights program.

The easement, announced today, keeps the property under Wege's control, but forever bars development in order to maintain its present use and conserve its scenic value.

This is in Vergennes Township North of Lowell and East of Ada. An area that has seen a lot of housing growth over the last 10 years.

2182394593_6956b712fc.jpg

I think we have a competition going on as to who can leave the biggest legacy in GR. :) Who in our generations is going to follow all these heavy hitters?

Archived