Possible windfarms in the works in Kent/Ottawa Counties?

GRDadof3

Just a little south of the border between Michigan and Indiana, in Benton County, there are around 300 windmills at least. And they're still putting them up. The picture below has only around 50 in the shot, which gives you the scale of this wind farm. To the eye, you can't see where the wind farms starts and where they end almost.

3601322268_a4ed30cf08_b.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When talking about wind generated, and solar power, my head has been filled with so much political gobletygook that I have no real concept of how it works. Is this initiative, to supplement current power needs? Or is it designed to eventually create completely clean energy? I hear all these things about new jobs new industries clean energy, on one hand. Then on the other I hear about, unrealistic, unsustainable, and unreliable. I've even heard that it would take way way more of these things to replicate our current power grid, than is pheasable. Can someone unconfuse me? :D

The new jobs/industries is already happening. For large wind turbines (20ft blade length) it makes much more sense to build them as near as possible to their installation site instead of shipping them across oceans. That inherently creates American jobs: constructing them and also maintaining them. Birds, animals, the weather...they can all damage wind turbines.

Can you explain this one to me? I'm in favor of making the investment to build those things here, but why does it make any more sense to build turbine blades near their installation site than it does cars or anything else 20' in length.

Certainly at that size, a turbine blade is longer than my car, but not by leaps and bounds. It's also smaller (in total cubic feet of transport space) and considerably lighter. I'm not sure why something of that size and shape won't also be produced outside the USA once there's the demand and competition that has driven other manufacturers overseas.

Here's hoping I'm wrong.

• 3 years later...

Archived