FedEx to Nashville

tnse

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its just a little data center. When compared to all the other sites FedEx operates at in the Memphis area, it is just a "rest stop." FedEx would never move out of Memphis. Take that from someone who used to work there. Memphis' location is ideal for FedEx's operations. Nashville does not even come close to Memphis when it comes to logistics and it never will.

This is just a simple data center being built, not the relocation of anything from Memphis.

The way I look at it is that this is great news for Nashville and Tennessee in the fact that FedEx is showing its commitment to investing in developing more of its operations and infrastructure in Tennessee and not somewhere else. FedEx has operations in cities across the US and world, so their is plenty of competition for such investment.

Memphis is home for FedEx and their is little reason to think that will ever change anytime soon - if ever.

This is just a simple data center being built, not the relocation of anything from Memphis.

The way I look at it is that this is great news for Nashville and Tennessee in the fact that FedEx is showing its commitment to investing in developing more of its operations and infrastructure in Tennessee and not somewhere else. FedEx has operations in cities across the US and world, so their is plenty of competition for such investment.

Memphis is home for FedEx and their is little reason to think that will ever change anytime soon - if ever.

Its just a little data center. When compared to all the other sites FedEx operates at in the Memphis area, it is just a "rest stop." FedEx would never move out of Memphis. Take that from someone who used to work there. Memphis' location is ideal for FedEx's operations. Nashville does not even come close to Memphis when it comes to logistics and it never will.

It may "just be a data center" but jobs in IT are higher paying than the average job. And a job moved to Nashville is a loss of opportunity in Memphis which means less investment in Memphis. Because IT jobs are higher paying, it also means loss of opportunity for those higher paying jobs which would help boost the Memphis economy more than the average warehouse or blue collar job. It also opens the opportunity for FedEx in Nashville to someday move a lot of the IT infrastructure to Nashville which could also hurt Memphis. If Memphis cannot appeal to future workers and if Memphis cannot recruit and attract talent, and Nashville can, then FedEx would likely move IT jobs to Nashville. That would be a big loss for Memphis in a high tech economy.

I think FedEx moving its HQ anywhere is remote in the short term (<10 years), but given the small size of the corporate HQ, it would be pretty easy to move it anywhere they choose while leaving Express in Memphis, Kinkos in Dallas, Ground in Pittsburgh, etc (think of IP moving its top 200 people to Memphis last year). If FedEx finds Memphis to be a tougher sell for prospective corporate employees, they may have no choice but to move to a better business environment.

The real blow would be Express moving its HQ out of Memphis. While this is far less likely, I could see the top jobs going to a place such as Indianapolis as that hub expands.

The Memphis hub will be here until they stop flying cargo domestically or the building falls down. The airport will not let them go away and they're wrapped up in a long-term lease anyway, so expect to see purple/orange aircraft here for many decades. As discussed in other threads here, FedEx is expanding into the old TANG property, so they'll have plenty more aircraft parking spaces; they just need to expand the physical size of the hub building as there's not much more they can physically cram through the sort belts during the twice-daily sorts.

The most disappointing part of Memphis are those who deny what is known outside the city and and known by those inside the city who are in position to know.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/11/garden/1...artner=USERLAND

[Companies like FedEx had trouble recruiting young people or finding qualified candidates in town. Though Memphis had a lower cost of living than places like Austin, New York or Seattle, when companies interviewed job candidates, "people said that it's a dull river city, and that there's a lot of racial tension," said Jim Wallace Jr., head of recruiting at FedEx.] - by the way, Ryan Flickinger mentioned at the beginning of the article . . . moved to Chicago...

http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/0...nctocarter.html

"Our biggest challenge is that we've got to make sure that we have the best way to recruit and retain our employees, because people are the essence of what we do. " - Rob Carter, FedEx CTO

http://colettaandcompany.com/public/talent...netReportv4.pdf

"Memphis companies report persistent problems recruiting young knowledge workers to Memphis. "

Memphis continues to face a big challenge competing for talent and retaining the talent it has when it goes up against cities like NY, SF, Charlotte, Austin, Seattle, Atlanta, and yes, Nashville. Nashville has especially done well in the 90s to bring a certain perception to the city. Memphis will have to compete against that. The point of the news that FedEx is likely to move part of its operations to Nashville is to point out that Memphis must compete harder because this move is a danger for what it potentially represents. If Memphis cannot compete with Nashville to build a culture of tolerance, provide the city culture that workers demand, and build a community that can help FedEx retain and attract the workers it needs to compete in the global high tech economy, then the fact that they have positioned a datacenter that has the potential to place or displace high tech jobs from Memphis to the Nashville area is alarming.

Tolerance is something these boards sometime seem to lack.

This type of talk has been going on for years about FedEx moving. Even if FedEx were looking to move out of Memphis it wouldn't be at least until another 30 years. They just signed a 30 year lease with the airport about a year ago. As long as Fred Smith is CEO they will remain in Memphis. When I was working there one thing that caught my attention was how many of the top level employees have graduated or have connections with the University of Memphis and if those connections stay like that you can bet that FedEx will stay in Memphis. They have dumped tons of money into the University in hopes that they will make a leap into the Big East where it will hopefully raise the standards of the University so that they will have alot of high level students to fill job openings. As far as recruitment goes that does not surprise me.

He's not talking about moving the sorting hub. They are talking about high level HQ jobs. The airport stuff is safe.

But in the same vein don't you think having MTSU, Vanderbilt, Tennessee State, and Volunteer State (just to name a few) all close by here would benefit them the same as the University of Memphis? You have to look at both sides here to see the motives.

High level HQ jobs? This is my first time hearing about any type of HQ jobs leaving Memphis. FedEx is headquatered in Memphis meaning that HQ jobs would stay here, where they are headquatered. They may have a few HQ jobs move to this datacenter to help run things but as far as mass exodus of HQ jobs to Nashville is just hilarious. From what Ive been reading nothing has been finalized about what FedEx plans to do with the property. Right?

Well I miss spoke. I should've said HIGH PAYING jobs, not high level HQ jobs. But in any regard, I don't see what you think is so hilarious about someone moving from Memphis to Nashville because of workers pools. To me, it seems obvious. Now, if you want to get in a pissing match about this, then be my guest. That's your schtick to play, but I think "tnse" pretty much covered everything in his previous post. Now do you have anything to address to his post, or do you want to try and nit pick stuff out of mine and anyone else's post that you don't want to see, hear, or believe?

You are right, nothing has been finalized YET. But most here in Nashville know what is coming down the pipe and whether those of you in Memphis want to accept that is your thing. But the reality of this is that Memphis holds NO monopoly on FedEx whatsoever. They are a company that is out to make money and keep QUALIFIED talent within easy reach of their organization. If the metro Memphis area cannot keep up with that and keep up with what FedEx is in need of, no lease and no hand shake will keep them there. Period. They are a business and they are free to do as they see fit for the company, shareholders, and employees. And if that means packing some stuff up and moving it to Nashville or Knoxville, or Indy, or Timbuktoo, then they will do it regardless of the "ties" you guys seem to think they have there in your town.

The facts are, they established a 65,000 square foot sorting facility at the airport (and just recently added onto it) when they could easily drive stuff to Memphis overnight. They fly their largest aircraft into here and fill them full of freight into and out of here everyday. They purchased 77 acres by the airport for "something". FedEx officals have been quoted as saying they want a larger footprint in Nashville and are going to seek that out. Take from it what you want, but that's the facts as I see it.

Now, let the debate continue.

Give us your sources...and I mean credible sources...and stop bring your stuff from the book of I think so.

Also, we already have this same topic on our forum, so I do believe that you should be over there discussing your opinions. I'm not saying they like credence, but you show no respect for the feelings of others and it appears that you take joy in trying to make others loathe.

The best explanation I've heard is that an outside source, not FedEx, is buying the land, and then FedEx is planning on out sourcing some call center jobs, which is very typical in this day and age and is not a knock on Memphis. FedEx can only get so big over there and it is actually a compliment to that city that FedEx has spent 30 years getting so big over there that it is now having to look else where for growth.

Lets just try to ramp the tone of the discussion down please. I would most appreciate it.

I think we all can agree on that Nashville, nor any other city, is going to steal the FedEx HQ or any of its other major operations in Memphis away anytime soon. FedEx has repeatedly shown its dedication to the city of Memphis and to the State of Tennessee, there is no reason to think that is going to change in the foreseeable future.

As I stated earlier, I think we should all be thankful that FedEx is investing even more money into Tennessee and not into some other state.

vid.gif2645567680a4850929850l.jpg

I really don't understand what these pics are supposed to prove. Have you ever seen the sea of FedEx airplanes at Memphis international? And that pic only captures about a third of the airplanes in Memphis.

If you will go read the post that I have put on the N'ville forum a little closer, you will get a very good explanation as to what these 77 acres may be for. How do I know these things? I am in FedEx management, therefore I think I have a clue. I walk, talk, eat, and sleep my wife to death with FedEX jargan, so if you have any questions I should be able to answer.

Peace out, I gotta go to bed, for I will be doing business in Atlanta, with FedEx, all this week. I'll let everyone know what I here as the week goes.

Lets just try to ramp the tone of the discussion down please. I would most appreciate it.

I think we all can agree on that Nashville, nor any other city, is going to steal the FedEx HQ or any of its other major operations in Memphis away anytime soon. FedEx has repeatedly shown its dedication to the city of Memphis and to the State of Tennessee, there is no reason to think that is going to change in the foreseeable future.

As I stated earlier, I think we should all be thankful that FedEx is investing even more money into Tennessee and not into some other state.

Archived