Theaters in Washington

tombarnes

Dupont 5 to Close on Sunday

A somewhat snarky article in the Washington Post caught me totally unawares just now. Apparently, the Dupont 5, formerly Loews Cineplex Odeon Dupont 5 and now run (into the ground?) by AMC Theaters, will be closing its doors for good on Sunday. It is the last of a number of neighborhood theaters. The Janus was just down the street from my building on R Street. There's a restaurant there now. The Visions Theater in the Universal Building just up the way is now shuttered for good. I suppose I can make my way to the gigantic Loews Georgetown on the waterfront, but there's something about that theater which has never appealed to me. Too big? Perhaps. At least the photogenic Uptown is still going strong in Cleveland Park.

The article makes much of the inadequacies of the theater. True enough, it was always a bit cramped inside and the less said about the bathrooms the better. Still, it was part of the fabric of a unique neighborhood. I suddenly feel the loss of the theater acutely, even if I didn't get over there as much as I ought to have done. Well, there's always the spangled and new Regal Cinema megaplex at Gallery Place. It's more like Kansas City than New York in style though. Sigh.

As for the "exciting new retail concept" planned, I can only imagine what horror they have in store for the site.

The Washington Post

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dupont 5 to Close on Sunday

A somewhat snarky article in the Washington Post caught me totally unawares just now. Apparently, the Dupont 5, formerly Loews Cineplex Odeon Dupont 5 and now run (into the ground?) by AMC Theaters, will be closing its doors for good on Sunday. It is the last of a number of neighborhood theaters. The Janus was just down the street from my building on R Street. There's a restaurant there now. The Visions Theater in the Universal Building just up the way is now shuttered for good. I suppose I can make my way to the gigantic Loews Georgetown on the waterfront, but there's something about that theater which has never appealed to me. Too big? Perhaps. At least the photogenic Uptown is still going strong in Cleveland Park.

The article makes much of the inadequacies of the theater. True enough, it was always a bit cramped inside and the less said about the bathrooms the better. Still, it was part of the fabric of a unique neighborhood. I suddenly feel the loss of the theater acutely, even if I didn't get over there as much as I ought to have done. Well, there's always the spangled and new Regal Cinema megaplex at Gallery Place. It's more like Kansas City than New York in style though. Sigh.

As for the "exciting new retail concept" planned, I can only imagine what horror they have in store for the site.

The Washington Post

Archived