Are we entering a new political period?

Lowerdeck

I don't know if anyone else gets this vibe... does it look that with this election in 2008, the parties will seemingly split or realign themselves? Not since at least the 80s when the religious jumped with the Republicans has this been seen.

Basically, we got the evangelicals and we got the fiscal conservatives slash warhawk foreign policy supporters. For now they buddied up because they shared some common beliefs. But now, I have this feeling that they might split up and will shake the party system again.

One possibility is: some evangelicals (the ones that aren't all into foreign intervention and middle eastern warfare for the sake of converting people and/or bringing the second coming) will switch to the Democrat side, and work with more moderate Democrats ... against the warhawkish and business Republicans.

Anyone else here see some shakeup to the party system coming? And if so, what's your prediction on the future?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are so deeply entrenched in the two-party system that I don't see an immediate realignment of the parties. That said, I sense a real weariness for both parties around the country. Perhaps it will take another election cycle or so, but change is in the wind. It's all very well and good to demand change, but change for its own sake is not always positive. I think it would help things considerably if the networks didn't feel compelled to winnow the field down to two or three photogenic candidates. Wouldn't it be nice if the press had taken Richardson, Kucinich and Paul seriously? If they had done so, we might have a different race today.

Historically, voter blocks have shifted to some degree every 20-30 years, so we are indeed about due for a shuffle. I would be surprised to see either of the two major parties officially split or fundamentally change, as the powers that be in the corporatocracy, the media, and the parties themselves will fight tooth-and-nail to maintain the status quo. What I think we are seeing (and will continue to see for the near future) are blocks of voters who once considered themselves completely dedicated to one party or the other becoming more willing to consider the other major party or third parties.

I agree with the assesment that unfortunately it will probably not take place this cycle. Beyond that though, I pray we have a complete shake up of the entire system - not just party politics. In the business community right now we are seeing more and more shifts from a "department" hiarchy towards more "team" grouping approach. I personally see that as a similarity to what needs to happen in DC.

We have GOT TO break free from this stranglehold that the current system has on us. How we do it, I like many am not sure of the answer. The struggle of our generation is how to reform and reshape our republic without the bloodshed of our forefathers and current foreign wars of gov't struggles.

I can see a possible centrist political party forming if Micheal Bloomberg runs for president and gets a high number of votes or possible beats one of the Democrat or Republican nominees because it would help to dispel the notion that you have to be a member of one of the two major parties to have a chance of winning.

Archived