650 West Gaines Street

Florida

TALLAHASSEE, FL

650 West Gaines Street

gallery_3748_8_17378.jpg

650 Gaines Street (TSP080003) (21-36-90-086-9301) located on 1.03 acres at 650 Gaines Street. The proposed project is the demolition of the existing building and the construction of 20 residential dwelling units and 7 retail spaces, consisting of approximately 11,802 square feet. The property is zoned UV (University Urban Village District).

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The Owner is the Architect and Contractor for this project.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TALLAHASSEE, FL

650 West Gaines Street

gallery_3748_8_17378.jpg

650 Gaines Street (TSP080003) (21-36-90-086-9301) located on 1.03 acres at 650 Gaines Street. The proposed project is the demolition of the existing building and the construction of 20 residential dwelling units and 7 retail spaces, consisting of approximately 11,802 square feet. The property is zoned UV (University Urban Village District).

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The Owner is the Architect and Contractor for this project.

I like the looks of the project, but I have to admit I'd hate to see a bunch of that kind of mall store down that strip. It'd ruin the area for folks like me. Hey, so it's selfish, so sue me.

How far down is this going to go? As far as Gay Street? I can't tell from the drawings.

Awsome! I like it. Where at exactly on gaines... I cant guess.

It would be nice to add some diversity to gaines. The coffee shop and used cd stores are awsome... but, variety makes a destination sell-able. I think three stories is cute... but i think 5 should be the aim.

Parking in the back is an awsome plan too. That way, whether busy or not, you stop in.

The landscaping and architectural vernacular should be consistent with north florida. The hotel on the corner fails miserably. The project needs more brick and wood and less stucco.

As an investor, why would I do anything until the City of Tallahassee puts in the infrastructure?

Back to the architecture, N. Florida is different from S Florida and our architecture should reflect that. What works in Palm Beach, does not work in Tallahassee, and what works here does not work there.

The landscaping and architectural vernacular should be consistent with north florida. The hotel on the corner fails miserably. The project needs more brick and wood and less stucco.

As an investor, why would I do anything until the City of Tallahassee puts in the infrastructure?

Back to the architecture, N. Florida is different from S Florida and our architecture should reflect that. What works in Palm Beach, does not work in Tallahassee, and what works here does not work there.

I actually like the brick mixed in with the stucco in the rendering... It would mesh the two styles already around town. I think higher would be better, that is my only complaint. But anything other than derelict old buildings is going to drastically improve most sites on gaines.

I Wouldnt mind another palm or two either.

"They've found out that most retail businesses don't want to locate on Gaines until some folks are living on the street first. This project helps COT achieve that goal. "

I understand your point. I think Tally screwed this up big time then IMHO. I think they could of leveraged FSU's need for space to put larger, more expensive, higher density dorms in the first 2 areas built on Gaines Street (the motel and this place). Pushing FSU to develop that side of the street while the city focused on the other side would of been perfect. It was a no brainer to me....but that ship has sailed.

This building is nice...and the hotel are nice, but I think they just aren't going to achieve a 'destination area'.

Archived