650 West Gaines Street

Florida

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since I've been helping w/Gaines I've learned that many retailers don't look at student pops. in a favorable way when studying where to open a location. Often times their lack of personal income (they aren't counting Mom and Dad's money)actually is a negative when stores consider locating in an area. Of course there are exceptions to this like fast-food restaurants and retailers like Urban Outfitters that are mainly geared toward students.

The last master plan I saw for FSU shows plans only down to St. Augustine and not Gaines. I learned from a university official that FSU and FAMU have an unwritten agreement to not encroach on each other by making Gaines the dividing line. That is why the Master craftsman studio is dilemma for FSU, to fix it up the way they want on the southside of Gaines is a breach of that agreement. I believe they are in talks w/FAMU to make sure they don't see this as a threat.

Another thing I've learned and seen while working on Gaines: COT mid and upper level management and FSU mid and upper level management work very well together. They seem to understand both parties need to get along and work well w/each other. The problems I've seen seem to only occur when TK and the Mayor and Commission get involved.

SJ, I'm not sure what will happen exactly w/Gaines as far as becoming a destination area. It may not become that initially, but I think as the area develops and matures, it may reach that goal. Now will we still be alive when that happens...who knows. :)

I always forget how broke i was as a college student... lol. darn.

But without flooding the area with coffee shops, bars, and pool halls, I still think we can find sutible business who could appreciate droms on Old st augustine. Getting students on the outskirts of campus, could solve alot of the parking and traffic issues fsu deals with on the daily. At the same time, making it possible for students to walk a block down the hill for a sub and a pop, or a ice cream sunday.

I would like to see something to set this project apart a little (once there is development around it) so that residents can say, "Yeah the building on Gaines with the ______". Though, if may be a while before that would even be neccissary ("Yeah, the building on Gaines"!)

;)

• 5 months later...

Welcome to UP-Tallahassee Tally Drywall! You have come to the right place to find out about all things Tallahassee.

Flori-duh/TaureanJ/TJ/Toyota(his Tallahassee Democrat alias)/Urban/Florida no longer posts here. A while back, he wasnt granted moderating rights and he got upset. You see, he thought for some reason that this had become "his" board. Anyway, long story short, he ended up leaving this site wike a wittle baby! :)

Having said that, Im sure there is someone here who will be able to answer that question for you!

EDIT: "Florida" added (again) to the end of the names list to reflect that TJ has changed his name AGAIN according to an informant. Identity crisis anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived