Buckhorn Village

RALNATIVE

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of that area around Buckhorn Road is either annexed by Mebane or in its jurisdiction. The site's water and sewer will be provided by Mebane. I do hope the Efland area stays rural, but that area to the west Buckhorn Rd is already becoming developed with a large scale outlet center, a hospital, and multiple residential developments. Remember this development is replacing a flea market notorious for fake and stolen goods that Orange County has tried desperately for years to eliminate.

Most of that area around Buckhorn Road is either annexed by Mebane or in its jurisdiction. The site's water and sewer will be provided by Mebane. I do hope the Efland area stays rural, but that area to the west Buckhorn Rd is already becoming developed with a large scale outlet center, a hospital, and multiple residential developments. Remember this development is replacing a flea market notorious for fake and stolen goods that Orange County has tried desperately for years to eliminate.

I made the following quote on the Triad forum version of this project regarding IKEA:

Being the IKEA junkie that I am, I highly doubt that this would be the location of a new store. They have barely entered the NC market yet with their unbuilt store in Charlotte. They like to 'test out' new markets they're entering before they build new stores, so it's a little early IMO for them to announce a new store. Cabela's on the other hand would fit perfectly.

Orange County would never let Concord Mills exist-that is one of the biggest disgraces I have ever seen. I think IKEA would consider this area with heavy lobbying as its customer demographic would fit in perfectly in the Triangle, even moreso than Charlotte.

Mebane is development friendly, so I can see this project happening. If the developer was smart he would try to recruit both Ikea and Cabela's. :thumbsup:.. Both would draw large amounts of traffic, but the articles I have read on this so far have only mentioned one destination which I am comfident will be Cabela's. The property owner has said multiple times that Cabela's has come to him with offers to purchase the land he owns. Smart development of this area is paramount as this is the one of the last gaps between the Triad and the Triangle.

With the county-straddling parcels, this could be all things to all people. Caleba's would anchor a Concord Mills-lite, subbing in for the Bass Pro Shops store. The Orange County land could be another Southern Village/Meadowmount, outside of Chapel Hill town limits but still nearby.

EDIT -- Caleba's wanted in at Brier Creek, but Raleigh blocked it via lack of incentives, road improvements, etc.

I think ikea would need to be east of the 40/85 split to be conveinent enough to the Triangle shoppers to be successful. But if the land was cheap enough and the county/state threw enough incentives, they would try to pull Triangle shoppers west and Triad shoppers east. But nothing will happen until the Charlotte store opens later this year.

With the county-straddling parcels, this could be all things to all people. Caleba's would anchor a Concord Mills-lite, subbing in for the Bass Pro Shops store. The Orange County land could be another Southern Village/Meadowmount, outside of Chapel Hill town limits but still nearby.

EDIT -- Caleba's wanted in at Brier Creek, but Raleigh blocked it via lack of incentives, road improvements, etc.

I think ikea would need to be east of the 40/85 split to be conveinent enough to the Triangle shoppers to be successful. But if the land was cheap enough and the county/state threw enough incentives, they would try to pull Triangle shoppers west and Triad shoppers east. But nothing will happen until the Charlotte store opens later this year.

i seriously doubt that ikea is putting much stock in there charlotte store to determine one in this area. they know the potential in this area already and are just taking their time. ikea isn't like wal-mart opening a store every week. ikea takes there time and does it right. i'm sure in a couple of years ikea will be located within a short drive.

• 8 months later...

Archived