Ashland City happenings

smeagolsfree

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard today that Kid Rock bought a penthouse unit in one of the buildings. Its just hearsay but who knows.

We already have Louise Mandrel living here. Who knows who else will discover us. As long as the paparazzi stay away. I would hate for tham to have to spend the night in jail with Bubba.

• 2 months later...

At The Scottsboro Community meeting last night one of the ladies said that the population of Ashland City was not significant enough to consider during the development of Scottsboro. Thought the Ashland City readers might want to know ....

Thats funny! Of coarse we are in the next county over and it is growing up here (much faster than Scottsboro right now). I guess the above is an example. One thing I would like to see in Ashland City from our friends in Davidson is extended bus service up Hwy 12. I think with the price of gas, a park and ride facility would do well. I see a lot of traffic coming from Cheatham county in the mornings and I know several people that would take the bus if there was one. Ashland City will not be able to be overlooked too much longer.

Smeagolsfree, it seems you are everywhere, with an emphasis on "my" side of town, Highway 12 to Clarkesville,

Sorry I am getting on so long after the last posting but I can always talk about things close to me, AC and PV.

Isn't it true that development most often has a Northerly movement, for many years the AC/Springfield exit on I 24 saw little growth. Coopertown and PV got into an annexing battle of territory and PV lost out on not controlling all of the exit and Highway 49E.

County fathers have always tended to be conservative or reluctant to give away "the farm" to just anyone coming along to develop it. County Commissioners have tended to be big property owners, long time - hand-me-down owners, which has translated into tax payers. They have slowed or some would say 'impeded', progress.

Both, AC and PV have annexed Highway 49 between the two cities and it is easy to see the possibility of a four lane between the two cities, remember the Sycamore Community(?) half way between, there is already a middle school and a high school which is fed by PV and the East Cheatham Community. EC is a big story in itself!

The Village in PV has bloomed, it is believed most occupants commute to Nashville with I 24 so handy. There is a lawyer, restaurant, day-care center and other shops in the Village. Also, have you seen Harristown, near the Sycamore Community, on Hghway 49?

I happen to live in Ashland City, but I do get around. The entire Nashville Metro area is my playground so to speak. I am very interested in smart manageable growth of all areas.

I think things in Cheatham and AC are still rather conservative but have come a long way in the last 6 years or so.

Funny thing about Ashland City is that the mayor and alderman dont let just any development come in. I Know John Rankin has almost pulled out of AC for various reasons, because AC just will not do any development it seems. There are mistakes being made, but overall AC has done OK when it comes to development. The best example is HSM and the Braxton. I am not a big fan of the Wal Mart but that seems to be the norm for any small community.

I like what AC is doing DT with regards to the Renaissance plan. They will straighten the dog leg @ 49& 12 adn bury the power lines, add a street scape, etc. The are forward thinking for a small town. There is a lot of industry here for a town this size as well.

I do know there was a plan by TDOT to 4 lane 49, but AC objected to the plan because they say it would bring traffic off off 24 as a short cut to 40 compounding an already bad traffic problem. I think there was a plan to 4 lane 12 into Clarksville too.

There have been a number of condo communities built here along with a 100 or so unit apartment community. The new shopping center where the Wal Mart is now is almost full after two additions to it. Liquor by the drink and package stores have been approved since I moved here as well, but still no major chain restaurants.

It is good to hear some objective comments to what has been perceived as a 'behind the times' community.

Did you ever drive the "old" Hwy 12 two lane? The new road has been a blessing and maybe a boon for AC. This is where or why we got a Super Walmart! Are they still talking about a Lowe's out by WM?

I do see more of the same, condos, coming along 12! Do you see some form of development connecting AC to Briley Parkway? There is a cabinet manufacturer just past OHB.

Has there been more talk of closing off the road to make a pedestrian walkway in front of the bank and church where Hwy 49W begins?(Cumberland Street)

They are talking about quite an aggressive school building program for the Sycamore/East Cheatham area. It does seem that the EC area gets left out on some things!

Planning for the improvement of 49 is underway. However, due to statewide roadway funding shortages, the improvements may be only spot improvements with passing lanes, left turn lanes and truck climbing lanes interspersed throughout the length of the highway. The intersection with Old Clarksville Highway where all the schools are will be widened and signalized sooner, however.

As far as the interchange with I-24 is concerned, the interchange is entirely within Robertson County, so Pleasant View's annexation may have been problematical.

Coopertown was incorporated under the old state law (later repealed) which allowed creation of mini-towns. Coopertown has annexed a lot of the surrounding suburban sprawl to increase it's population, but has no downtown and no source of revenue of than the interchange and it's speed-trap revenues. :angry:

I was not out here when the old 2 lane road was being used. I guess the fact that they made it a 4 lane and a 5 lane in places is what pointed me out this way. The area between AC and Briley is mostly in Davidson County. I do expect to see development at some point but it would just about have to be residential. Infrastructure cost in this area would be too high for anything else. The steepness of the land is another consideration. I have noticed land being bought and sold and some excavation work being done on the right at the top of the big hill before you get to Lewis CS. That has been going on for some time, but again in Davidson and this area would fall under the Scottsboro/ Bells Bend area.

I do wish the bike lane would extend on around the AC bypass to the rails to trails. It is not impossible to ride a bike through DT AC but it gets a little close some times. I have a route that I would be able to take me from Cheatham Dam all the way to Percy Priest Dam once the new bridges are in place over the Cumberland. Part of that does take you on about a mile of Briley and I do wish that Metro would connect the bike lane from AC Hwy to the Metro Center Greenway.

As far as the schools go, amazing that Cheatham County have some of the higher scores in the Metro area. I was surprised by that and eventually they will have to build more schools but this County seems to be cautious and conservative which is not a bad thing at all.

If there is such a thing, Hwy 12 between AC -Nash is a 'regional' hwy. All of that region; Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Stewart, and Houston are heavily served by Hwy 12, another consideration given for building the Super Wal Mart in AS.

There is now enough traffic flow to insure steady movement into N'west Davidson County. Note the already constructed log home model near junction Hwy 12 and OHB.

OHB is already marked as a Bike Trail, riders would enjoy further connection to other parts of West Nashville.

In last weeks AC Times indicated the Shoals Landing development was at a deadlock with a huge argument blocking it's continuation and a lawsuit looked possible/probable.

I recently drove up behind the condos, opposite the industrial park, and they have continued to squeeze much the same type of home onto the hillside. I worry what happens once they see resale one-two times over, as these will likely do in the next fifteen years. Some already see some neglect from sitting empty for just a short period!

LOL, those houses on the hill behind the condos is where I live.

They have been there for about 5 years. John Rankin built those as well as the brick condos.

I know a lot of traffic comes out of Dickson county for sure as I see the traffic everyday. I do know the first couple of years for the Wal Mart were not what they projected as far as sales go. I dont know how it is now. I know the grocery portion of the store is less than desirable as you have trouble finding the same thing on the shelves two months in a row. I am not a real fan of Wal Mart but I go there as I have to. It is a prblem for me because I either spend $8 in gas to go into Nashville and back or go 2 miles from my house and go to the W/M.

I had not heard anything about the probelm at the condos. I need to look at the article.

The thing i'd be interested to know is... what was in A.C. before the Super Wal-Mart came into the picture?

My guess is... the downtown area was filled in more with mom & pop shops, which basically fit the needs that a Wal-Mart does today.

Ashland City is a beautiful area... and a nice little town. But its my personal opinion that Walmart, and other big box retailers, do nothing to keep things that way. Just think about what the town would be like if there were no Walmart, no suburban shopping center, no condos and apartments built into the nice countryside, etc...

As much as I oppose big box development, Ashland City pretty much had no shopping and lost most of those potential sales taxes to Davidson County.

To encourage the growth of Mom and Pop shops, you need several things going on other than standing at the gate with a shotgun to keep out the big box owners. You need a viable downtown infrastructure than includes good roads, sidewalks and parking. You need some public transportation (yes, even in Ashland City) that will provide timely and convenient access to these stores. You need the right type of zoning that not only allows, but even requires mixed-use, build to the sidewalk buildings.

It all requires money, however. Ashland City's Renaissance Plan has been around for several years and is still pretty much a group of pretty pictures. Hopefully, developments like the Braxton will create a positive buzz about AC and some quality growth with competent leadership will occur.

I can not disagree with anything added, the comments are right on. Before Super WM there was a small, crowded, and poorly stocked WM on Hwy 49E. It actually served to attract a Veterinarian, Witt's, Pizza Hut, and other retail shops along the strip mall.

Before that, nil, nada, nothin'. During this time and even now some small specialty shops were present and attracted a small number of 'locals'.

Place AC at the middle of a clock; put a point at 12 o'clock for Clarkesville, Springfield at 2 o'clock, Nashville between 4 and 6 o'clock, and at 7-8 o'clock place Bellvue and Charlotte Pike. This is where CC tax dollars have gone for quite some time.

There has been little tax base revenue from industry, some has come onto the scene recently, with State Industries, I find it hard to use it's new name, being the largest source of tax base revenue. There has been two or three periods of worry when they looked as if they were leaving town. If they were to leave CC a big revenue problem would arise!

I have several teacher friends that have purchased homes "on the hills" opposite the Industrial Park. A friend owns the land directly behind the condos. Enough room for maybe 20 homes.

I give kudo's to saving the 'old post office building front' when renovating the downtown.

The Wal Mart on 49 was very small. In that location now is Tractor Supply and a Fred's, although that Fred's location may close because of corporate closing a lot of thier stores.

The Renaissance project has actually started. They have a lot of the streets and sidewalks torn up DT for the first phase of the project.

I forgot to mention that I had heard about a Lowe's coming to AC, but I asked a number of people at other Lowe's and they said it was not onthe radar at this time. That was 3 or 4 years ago and the land I had heard it was to be on is now for sale. They said they have to have a certain amount of population to open a store and AC was not near that amount.

I did see where John Rankin was suing Cheatham County. I am not real familiar with the cause of the lawsuit, but it has to do with a FEMA assessment about the flood plain and the fact that Cheatham is calling the Braxton a subdivision which is pretty far fetched. I think this may hurt Mayor Orange getting re-elected next time around if the county loses.

CC has been strongly divided by "territorial rights," some having ill feelings toward each other!! The communities, such as they are, were originally designated by the location of what was then called elementary schools, each having grades k-8. All areas did not have established business districtsat that time.

Each school fielded of all things, athletic teams that helped to raise the level of competition in all areas. Some areas were thought to be of different, shall we say, levels of living!

This is the same arguement that has existed for years in many communities in all parts of the country.

I mention all of this because it has affected the cohesive development of one of the poorer communities connecting to Davidson County.

My wife and I have taught in four of the seven divisions, at times two of the southern communities seem to bond, and have coached in three of the divisions. It can be heated rivalries!!

It is things like this can develop over many years and help shape communities. I think some has changed but on Friday nites when it comes "game - time" you can see and hear what I am talking about.

Archived