Organic grocery store in Greenville

cyclingundertheson

With the recent addition of Whole Foods in Greenville, is there room for Earth Fare to co exist. From what the management was saying the future of Earth Fare in Greenville is very much in doubt. They said how Whole Foods has REALLY put a dent in sales there. Wake up and support them before a great company gets away from Greenville. I know Earth Fare is not as big and glamourous as Whole Food but if you want them to reinvest in the Greenville market then support them now. You all should Ride up to Charlotte or down to Augusta and their new Earth Fare stores will blow your socks off and could give Whole Foods a run for its money any day. Will Earth Fare open another amazing state of the art store here or will they just fade away as one of Greenville's retail memories?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the recent addition of Whole Foods in Greenville, is there room for Earth Fare to co exist. From what the management was saying the future of Earth Fare in Greenville is very much in doubt. They said how Whole Foods has REALLY put a dent in sales there. Wake up and support them before a great company gets away from Greenville. I know Earth Fare is not as big and glamourous as Whole Food but if you want them to reinvest in the Greenville market then support them now. You all should Ride up to Charlotte or down to Augusta and their new Earth Fare stores will blow your socks off and could give Whole Foods a run for its money any day. Will Earth Fare open another amazing state of the art store here or will they just fade away as one of Greenville's retail memories?

I like Whole Foods fine, but I actually prefer the EarthFare in Greenville. It's a great store, and although I am not in town too often it seems to do decent business. My parents shop there for basically all of their groceries, and have not mentioned that it seems to be in trouble. I sure hope our EarthFare stays in business! If anything, I would expect Garner's to go out of business before EarthFare.

I am admittedly a WF junky... I love the people there and their service.

There is one thing that will occasionally draw me out to EarthFare over Whole Foods, and that is their bulk selection. WF pales in comparison in this one aspect.

I do think that EF employees sometimes get bored from the lack of business, and when I ask for help with something it almost feels like I'm inconveniencing them. WF employees jump at the opportunity to help, and will even cut up a piece of produce or open a bag of something just to let you try it. They seem more 'empowered.'

Just my .02

I am admittedly a WF junky... I love the people there and their service.

There is one thing that will occasionally draw me out to EarthFare over Whole Foods, and that is their bulk selection. WF pales in comparison in this one aspect.

I do think that EF employees sometimes get bored from the lack of business, and when I ask for help with something it almost feels like I'm inconveniencing them. WF employees jump at the opportunity to help, and will even cut up a piece of produce or open a bag of something just to let you try it. They seem more 'empowered.'

Just my .02

He manages something over there. Maybe it is just a department but regardless of the facts he works there and my point of posting this is not to start a debate but to encourage Greenville to SUPPORT their Earth Fare because it is TOO LATE. This is an awesome store and I have shopped there all the time since 2 years ago when I turned my life around for the healthier. Charlie don't waste your time picking a pointless debate when you can just support Earth Fare before it winds up under the discussion of Greenville's long lost retail.

I like Whole Foods fine, but I actually prefer the EarthFare in Greenville. It's a great store, and although I am not in town too often it seems to do decent business. My parents shop there for basically all of their groceries, and have not mentioned that it seems to be in trouble. I sure hope our EarthFare stays in business! If anything, I would expect Garner's to go out of business before EarthFare.

• 3 weeks later...

Whole Foods is just another BIG BOX. Support Earth Fare. I lived in an area that Whole Foods came into 10 years ago and bought up the "local" health food market. Then they bought up their other competition--Wild Oats. Just like Starbucks, Wal-Mart, etc. running the little guy out. Just say NO.

Oddly, if you were to look at the various locations listed on the Whole Foods web site, you'd notice that most of them are smaller than (some much smaller than) a typical supermarket (i.e. 55,000 sq. ft.). The one here in Greenville is barely 45,000 sq. ft - which is quite typical for supermarkets in the area. I don't think you could really classify them as another "big box." Earth Fare, in its own right, is doing pretty well on its own. I've been known to shop at both, but quite frankly, I prefer Whole Foods produce, meat, and deli by far and I really do like the fact that Whole Foods showcases things that are produced locally. I hardly ever go to Fresh Market anymore.

As for the merger between Whole Foods and Wild Oats, this is something that Wild Oats approached Whole Foods about (not the other way around) as I understand it, in order to get out from under a substantial debt load.

• 3 weeks later...

IS EARTHFARE REALLY IN TROUBLE!!! I am about to move back in to this area in March and I LOVED that store. When I moved to Texas in 2005 the Greenville Earth Fare was PACKED everytime I went there. I remember May-20-2005 like it was yesterday. I went to Earth Fare for my last time. Everyone was so nice to me and they even gave me a free cupcake when I told the manager I was moving to Texas. I was so touched that I cried as I drove out of the parking lot that evening. I can remember earlier that year when I had family problems I knew to go to Earth Fare and they would ALWAYS make me smile. Never have I even came remotely close to finding a store like this. PERIOD. They VALUED customer service. This makes me sad to hear that Earth Fare is in trouble. What happened?

If they're in trouble, this is the first I've heard of it, seriously. :huh:

They've been packed just about any time I've been in there. The chain is expanding, as well.

Greenville should be able to support both Earth Fare and Whole Foods...in fact, Greenville could probably support another of each.

Archived