Triangle Business News

RALNATIVE

I read somewhere that Asheville has the most number of breweries per capita in the country. So perhaps it is a contender of beer city USA on those grounds. But yes, Raleigh's outer areas are ignored as Wake Forest, Fuquay Varina and Holly Springs and Hillsborough all have breweries as well. I have been surprised at how well Raleigh's beer culture has taken off but am quite happy it has. Trophy is my personal favorite and Sub Noir is a close second based on the one time I had their beer when Raleigh Brewing hosted them. Statewide I think the NC beer reputation is solid and respected

Unless I missed something, the "big announcement" sounds like 6 City officials are getting in an RV to go to SXSW in Austin, TX.  Ummmmm, ok?

There are thousands of bands, cities, startups and independent film producers who do that same thing every year hoping to standout among the masses.  Even the City of Chicago is doing that with their mayor riding shotgun.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

^Yea I think that was more of a thud. I do think Raleigh is improving branding over the tired, hackneyed efforts of the stodgy Raleigh Chamber of Commerce.

On that note I noticed an article in the Indy about the city council thinking about ways to improve Raleigh's brand. There are many publications that rank metro areas that say "Raleigh's a pretty good, not-terrible place to live", or Raleigh is an "above average city that does things above averagely", followed by a bunch of empty business jargon and nothing really descriptive enough to form an image of the culture of the place.

This article mentioned how a few decades ago, Austin chose "live music capital of the world" as its slogan, dubious as it may have been at the time, but it became a self-fulfilling prophecy.

That's an area they really have to be careful about. Whatever they decide on, we're stuck with.

How do you sum up the culture of the place? It's not the live music capital of anything, and hasn't been since the Village Subway was closed--something I think the city gov't should strongly consider fixing. Those little obscure quirky things in various neighborhoods around the city are what make it great and those are things that should be held on to and added to whenever possible. The Triangle still punches above its weight for its music scene but much of that activity has shifted to Durham and Chapel Hill. Raleigh has a bad habit of defining itself by things that are nearby but not in the city. It shouldn't have to rely on that.

It's not really a tourist destination or a film hub. There is certainly a music scene and an artsy, funky element to the city ITB, and there are a lot of neighborhoods with character, but it's not much different from any other city in its size range.

Supposedly this is a food truck capital but that's not much of an asset to advertise.

Pointing out the companies that are here or the universities doesn't really say anything about the culture of the place, and those are things people already know. There is an undercurrent of people who have left the place saying it's relatively boring here, which is false unless you need New York or San Francisco levels of stimulation to not be bored--in which case welcome to the entire rest of America. If there's one thing about NC that I think we have over all other states it's that we don't bog the place down with tacky touristey crap. What you get here is authentic, as opposed to a street that was manufactured to be a tourist hub, where prices are gouged and club-crawlers are fleeced of their fun money for a more "authentic" experience... *glares at Nashville*.

*steps back*

Wow, what was I thinking when I typed this? This became a huge ramble. I don't know really.

Maybe we can leverage your idea and turn the whole State around at the same time. Raleigh, authentic Carolina. Or something to that effect. All the good here falls within that idea and it robs the First Amendment mentality folks (including the current legislature) of their claim to being representative of what the State stands for. Anyway, its a good thing to ramble on about as its important...

Or Charlotte, USA. Growing up in Charlotte I remember the "Uptown" rebranding. Most of the people of the Queen City don't know or remember the cynical move that this was. Hugh McColl said he wanted to look out his office window and not see any public housing in the future. "Downtown" was synonymous with "ghetto"-good 'ol boy euphemisms.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh selective statistics. The median salary would tell a better story. Its probably 1 guy making 10 million (the guy who "runs" the place), 3 making 5 million(the guys he plays golf with), 6 making a million each (the ones who actually lose their jobs if the stock price goes too low), 50 making 200,000 (the engineers, IT guys etc) and 540 making 46,300 (secretaries, shipping, loading etc) for a median of 46,300. 10 families make a mint, 50 have spending money and 540 barely get by. Not as good of a headline...jerbs are jerbs I suppose...

Edited by Jones_

What's most interesting about this is the fact that they are moving the CEO, CFO, and a number of other top executive postions to Raleigh, but are reluctant to call it a HQ move. That may be the case in the short-term, but long-term they obviously must consider a full relocation. From a logistical and employee retention standpoint, being based in Raleigh is a much better option than Roanoke.

I agree that not moving the HQ may be a short term thing.  When I first read that, my first thought was that is what they are saying NOW, but it seems to me to be setting up for that to happen down the road.  If it does occur, it would be a nice HQ pickup for Raleigh.

Edited by Gard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...