The Ten Projects of Christmas (2008)

CanukInAugusta

There are ten projects that I am looking forward to getting started in Augusta in 2008.

They are:

1. Watermark project

2. TEE Center

3. Sibley Mill conversion

4. Downtown Baseball Stadium

5. Marshall Square (the new downtown Evans)

6. Evans Town Park

7. Village of Riverwatch

8. New downtown Library

9. New Justice Center

10. Mullins Crossing Phase 2

I think if these projects have the capacity to really transform Augusta.

My question: By the end of 2008 how many of these projects will have visible evidence of construction started (much less finished) ?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good list and would look about like mine. The only thing different Id do would be to replace number 10, (Mullins Crossing phase 2) with the Kroc Center.

Also, havent heard of the Sibley Mill Conversion...sounds interesting though. Is that the big Mill right on the canal that is visible from Riverwatch parkway?

Good list canuk. But i would add the kroc center, whites building, woolworth building, MCG expansion for a new dental and medical school, and the forum- augusta. I think all 10 plus the 5 I just named. Will have some visible signs of construction this year.

Here's some info on evans town park

http://www.wjbf.com/midatlantic/jbf/news_i...01-14-0022.html

I do agree these projects will transform augusta. Not only for the citizens of augusta. But the image of augusta throughout the state. And in the nation. Before this year i think we lost alot of oppurtunities to get alot new residents. But now when people visit . Including for the master's i think alot of them will have a diffrent impression of augusta. And alot will even want to relocate here. 2008 and 2009 will be big years for augusta.

• 3 months later...
There are ten projects that I am looking forward to getting started in Augusta in 2008.

They are:

1. Watermark project

2. TEE Center

3. Sibley Mill conversion

4. Downtown Baseball Stadium

5. Marshall Square (the new downtown Evans)

6. Evans Town Park

7. Village of Riverwatch

8. New downtown Library

9. New Justice Center

10. Mullins Crossing Phase 2

I think if these projects have the capacity to really transform Augusta.

My question: By the end of 2008 how many of these projects will have visible evidence of construction started (much less finished) ?

Almost all those projects the land is already cleared though.

It seems like every week we're telling you about a new study being done to look at bringing growth to Augusta. There were at least 4 projects in just the last year. School is almost out, but the city of Augusta is spending a lot of time and money studying.

''It's just a process that you have to go through. You don't just build it, and they will come. You have to look and see if the market will bear it," said Margaret Woodard who is executive director of the Downtown Development Authority."

This comes as the city looks for another $40,000 to study bringing a trolley line back downtown. "I think it's kind of a renaissance. We're bringing the downtown back...so bring the historic trolley back," said Woodard.

The trolley would run on battery power. It's being modeled after similar projects in places like Charlotte. The trolley will follow a track costing 13 million dollars a mile for a four mile route. That's over 50-million bucks. The proposal includes four separate trolley cars.

The route would take 10 minutes from beginning to end. Supporters say the biggest selling point of the trolley line is a stop that's only one block away from the proposed new stadium complex and TEE center that is planned for Reynolds Street.

"This connects everything. This also alleviates some of the parking challenges downtown if we would get the employees and visitors to park on the outskirts."

Commissioner Mason says he will bring the drag strip back before the commission this summer. The issue was location and noise. He's suggesting a possible site near the airport.

The Ellis Street Option is not all dried up either. We spoke with Andy Cheek who says he's taking the plan to Augusta tomorrow...And looking at getting it on the next SPLOST.

Drag strip, Ellis Street Option, Downtown trolley gains traction again as city weighs improvement options

• 1 month later...

Most of these projects are quiet. Very little visible progress.

However, some update on a couple of projects.

Marshall Square (the "downtown Evans" project) has started paving the interior roads, and laying the utilities down. It will be interesting to see what are the first things to get built there.

Also, Mullins Phase 2 has a new "coming soon" sign up. It looks exactly like the old one, exact that the removed the Spring 2007 opening date verbage, and replaced it with "Hobby Lobby". :lol: Progress!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived