Signature Building

dgreco

I have applied for graduate programs at a few different Florida schools, mostly schools in South Florida, but I decided I would start to read the forums and see what is going on in this neck of the woods. I saw this similiar topic in another forum and I thought I would pose it here. I have looked at many of the cities and nothing really stands out to me. The only thing that seems to be unique or signature about Florida is the University of Florida's Century Tower, but again I do not know if I would call that signature. I was just wondering everyone's thoughts. Either state wide or even region wide(North, Central, South, South West) etc... Thanks in advance for the responses.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In South FL, I'd say it is Freedom Tower in Miami. One could also argue that the Breakers Hotel and Boca Raton Hotel are signature buildings in SFL.

In Central FL, IMHO I'd say the most recognized and signature buildings of the area are Cinderella's Castle and the Epcot Sphere at Disney.

In North FL, Jax's Modus Tower seems to be their signature building IMHO and at one time was the tallest building in FL. I forget, what company originally built this tower? Was it a life insurance company?

And then of course in Tally there's always the phallic shaped New Capitol.

This is a rather subjective discussion for sure, but I'd have to say the building that most folks in the nation and world-wide associate w/FL is the Disney Castle.

Hey thanks for the info. I think the Modis tower is probably the most noticable after you said it. I think the Super Bowl a few years ago helped that image. Anyway, thanks, I wonder what other people think also. Because I do not know much about the area, what is the "quick" history behind the freedom tower?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is a fantastic article describing Florida's tallest buildings over the past 100 years...

The Modis, Wachovia, and Freedom towers each held the title as the states tallest

A Century of Florida's Tallest Skyscrapers

Thursday, 06 March 2008

The title of tallest building in Florida changed hands twelve times over the past 100 years. Of the 13 buildings to hold the title, 6 of them are in Jacksonville. Today, Metro Jacksonville takes a look at Florida's Tallest Buildings throughout more than a century.

Read the rest: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/728/

Bok is exceptional.

Let's not forget the Ponce Inlet Lighthouse as well.

As for symbolic/most recognizeable, something to consider is exposure, ala, the media and movies and marketing. I'd say the Wachovia Miami gets the most exposure from movies and as a backdrop to national correspondent newscasts. The Wachovia and BOA combined.

On a different note, Cinderella's Castle, Spaceship Earth, and the VAB are the others.

Jax doesn't get much exposure of this kind. Neither does Tampa.

Unfortunately, the plastic castle at Disney is Orlando's most famous building...and here I almost delluded myself into thinking it would be the Suntrust Center...sigh.

Miami - I agree, Freedom Tower...but I'm also seeing more and more of the 4 Seasons tower in movies & TV.

Tampa - IMO, Raymond James stadium

Jax - What's the name of that building that looks like it's on a trapezoid?

• 1 month later...

As much as I hate to admit it, the most famous building in the State of Florida is Cinderella's Castle followed by Spaceship Earth at EPCOT. Then maybe the Bank of America building in Miami or that round one in Miami than changes colors.

• 1 month later...

^^

man, those are some exceptional photos of Jax. Modis is a great tower. that bridge rocks. what an asset to the city.

^^

it's hard to make a list of "most notable"-- movies, newscasts, talk shows.

On Fox's "Cashing In", the Orlando correspondent always gives his $.02 with a backdrop of downtown orlando-- I think Suntrust.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

^^

I'm thinking for Miami it's been the BOA, all lit up at night and what not.

^^

as for the Castle and Spaceship Earth, those are no less relevant structures as some World's Fair structures in many US and world cities; There's stuff in Spaceship Earth as well as the Castle; these are functioning buildings. the Castle has a second and/or third level inside with a restaurant; basement, etc. As cheesy as it sounds, the thing is stunning at night to look at as it from the west where it borders the moat on that side.

And EPCOT took down that nasty Mickey arm from Spaceship Earth FINALLY. It's back to being one big ball again.

and one more thing, when I'm driving up towards Modis and BOA, I don't get the same nostalgia I get when driving up to Spaceship Earth. I think that's a big factor.

• 2 weeks later...

^^

well, Winter Park has a couple of art deco residential buildings at the north end of Par Ave., and downtown Orlando has a couple of art deco office structures.

having peer isn't the issue; I remember in 2002 when twenty or more of those buildings which were behind Ocean Drive were being renovated and were abandoned, gutted; it looked like Beirut; it was pretty scary. not the best architecture in the world to give you that feeling when they are unoccupied and the paint has peeled off and concrete is chipped. contrast that with those classical architecture buildings with brick and cornerstones from the early 1900's which need no upkeep and are timeless. anything that needs paint takes a back seat IMO. every architectural style has its pros and cons.

but, if you had a postcard showing a couple of art deco Ocean Drive buildings, I think that would be unmistakably Florida. but that's a grouping; not just one building. however, any one of them could probably fill that role, in the same way that those 3 story row houses in San Francisco are unmistakably SF; they aren't skyscrapers, but everyone knows what city that is.

• 6 months later...

Lake Worth has a very nice collection of art deco buildings in it's commercial district. It doesn't get a whole lot of press b/c it's a tiny little place. Also, the architecture of the University of Tampa campus is pretty stunning/unique. The City of Kissimmee has some great examples of Italianate architecture as well, I love their historic courthouse. I also really like the Kress building in downtown orlando. Bricks are nice and, I agree, timeless, but can be kind of humdrum after awhile. I do think the SunTrust building in Orlando is pretty recognizable, though I understand why some criticize it, I personally like it, especially the open space along Orange Ave.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In the late 60's and early 70's when each metro in Florida got their first modern office tower, I would say in Miami it's the One Brickell tower, the Waters Tower in Tampa, the CNA tower in Orlando, and the (was it?) Independent Life tower in Jacksonville. St. Pete had some sort of condo looking tower for years that was it's signature tower.

Archived