River Park

richyb83

Haha, thanks! This might be a delusion of grandeur but I figure UP is sort of like the face of BR in a way so I want it to be as comprehensive as possible, especially with more people looking to BR for :)

I didn't even notice the swing ride, looks scary!

Edited by dan326

• 4 weeks later...

• 1 year later...

Well that was a nice little fantasy.

https://www.businessreport.com/article/news-roundup-lsu-student-health-center-partially-reopens-land-river-park-development-seized-set-auctioned-centurylink-acquires-multi-cloud-platform-startup

Seized: Once planned to be developed into a site for parks, hotels and riverfront entertainment, the East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s office has seized and intends to sell at auction the site that was planned to be the $600 million River Park development. The sheriff’s office seized the 36-acre site on April 7 to satisfy an estimated $9.8 million claim, plus interest and court costs, by First National NBC Bank, according to court documents. The public auction is set for 10 a.m. on June 29 in the lobby of City Hall, 222 St. Louis St.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Yep...4 1/2 years after the last post here ((man time has the foot on the accelerator! & the breaks do not work)))

Will River Park become an amphitheater or industrial development? Decision to be made soon

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_d1770a64-3fb2-11eb-9b04-d77a2f0f08b2.html

Original Site Plan .....not even close! But the R.R. Underpass did get built!

72dpi-Riverfront3.jpg.abb1de2b6f2c261c60cdef78f5f8f9df.jpg

Edited by richyb83

On 12/17/2020 at 3:13 PM, richyb83 said:

Yep...4 1/2 years after the last post here ((man time has the foot on the accelerator! & the breaks do not work)))

Will River Park become an amphitheater or industrial development? Decision to be made soon

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_d1770a64-3fb2-11eb-9b04-d77a2f0f08b2.html

Original Site Plan .....not even close! But the R.R. Underpass did get built!

72dpi-Riverfront3.jpg.abb1de2b6f2c261c60cdef78f5f8f9df.jpg

Yup, built for nothin. I wonder what's meant by industrial site? Hopefully they don't go that route, might as well leave it a nature preserve then develop it as an eyesore of concrete.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2020 at 8:33 PM, dan326 said:

Yup, built for nothin. I wonder what's meant by industrial site? Hopefully they don't go that route, might as well leave it a nature preserve then develop it as an eyesore of concrete.

The site has access to a Class 5 railroad track and the river.   It's likely very valuable as some kind of manufacturing, port, or distribution center.     What I wanted to get built there never happened.   

If we are being honest, it was always a little too far from downtown to really be a mixed use.   And Baton Rouge could use the jobs.....

Edited by cajun

12 hours ago, Antrell Williams said:

Hello strangers! My buddy just left Denver and said something about a Chinese company buying it and putting some sort of industrial plant there. Was sad to hear.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Hi Antrell! ^ Blech, I know that's how we make our money in LA but I'm just thinking: another dreary plant expelling chemicals right next to downtown.

On 1/16/2021 at 8:36 AM, dan326 said:

Hi Antrell! ^ Blech, I know that's how we make our money in LA but I'm just thinking: another dreary plant expelling chemicals right next to downtown.

Hopefully it's not a polluter.   On the bright side - technically a machine shop, auto plant, or even an Amazon warehouse counts as an industrial use in most planning codes (I know nothing that large is going to be built on that relatively small plot).    There are a lot of industrial uses that contribute to truck traffic and noise, but they aren't really big polluters like a refinery or chemical plant would be.    Given that plot's location, I was hoping that either a rail car manufacturing facility or a barge/boat servicing facility would be built there.     They tend to be labor intensive and provide very lucrative jobs.      It's not close to many, if any homes so noise or light pollution wouldn't be a huge issue.   

Maybe even a coast guard station would work there, but those tend to be very small.  

What we really want for that property isn't going to happen unfortunately.    It's just a shade too far from downtown to be attractive as a mixed used development.    

On 1/15/2021 at 7:57 PM, Antrell Williams said:

Hello strangers! My buddy just left Denver and said something about a Chinese company buying it and putting some sort of industrial plant there. Was sad to hear.

If there was anyone that I trust less than my own government, it's probably anyone associated with the CCP.   2020 has made me extremely prickly when it comes to Chinese businesses (and their mandatory association with their ultra-shady government).

Hopefully it's legit though!

Edited by cajun
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

Back in the news...but i'm not a "premium subscriber" to Business Report....

Maybe the Chine group deal fell thru?  14 acres

No pipe dream renderings to get my hopes up!   Need to see some dirt move !

Phil Witter considers developing his downtown riverfront property

• Like 1

12 hours ago, richyb83 said:

Back in the news...but i'm not a "premium subscriber" to Business Report....

Maybe the Chine group deal fell thru?  14 acres

No pipe dream renderings to get my hopes up!   Need to see some dirt move !

Phil Witter considers developing his downtown riverfront property

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE kick Riverside Towing off of your land!  

But seriously.   Bars and restaurants will be popping off around there once the pandemic is under control.    Chelsea's is moving right there to 1010 Nic.   Pastime and Brickyard have been there for a while.