Do you think it will snow here on Thursday based on local reporting?

monsoon

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it will snow here on Thursday based on local news reporting?

• No
    • Yes
    • I will believe it when I see it
    • I don't like this poll
  2. 2. Do these weather teasers cause you to watch more TV news?

• No
    • Yes

OK, I am taking a little administrator's privilege and posting this here. (probably should be in coffee house) I've notice the local news and weather readers on the local TV stations are putting out teasers that it might snow here on Thursday. It will probably the the 6pm news lead story I would guess if there are no major crimes to report. (though McCroy's announcement could take that spot too)

So, do you think it will really snow here Thursday?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Weather Channel is saying Rain/Freezing Rain with high of 40, low of 32.

Our wonderful local news outlets are doing what they do best, trying to cash in on teasers and sensational headlines. SNOW predicted for CHARLOTTE area. They fail to mention that the Charlotte area stretches up to the mountains when it comes to how far their news broadcasts reach.

I'm glad I don't need any milk, bread, or beer cause I'm sure the grocery stores are packed with panicked shoppers.

Well according to NOAA (which is the best weather source out there IMO), the precip is supposed to start sometime Thursday morning as light snow and then transition to sleet and end as rain around midday/early afternoon. I think the Charlotte area including the city itself will see some snow but no accumulation. This is nothing to get too excited over, but as a snow lover I'll be happy to see pretty much any snowfall at all.

I will predict no snow, but that won't stop people from making the mad dash to the grocery stores for eggs, bread, and milk. Sometimes, I don't trust our local weather people.

I remember one year, the Panthers were playing some team a fews years back December at home and local weather geeks were predicting two feet of snow on that Sunday. And the result? Fans stayed home. The official attendance was "70,000" or something like that, but it looked like less than 5,000 fans were actually in the stadium.

Quite embarassing for the the team, the city, and the local forecasters. My NFL buddies who cheer for other teams harrassed me for weeks.

Quick update on the subject. NOAA just came out with their new forecast which basically calls for a rain/snow mix starting early Thursday morning which should transition to a cold rain/sleet mix during the day (in Charlotte). There is however a Winter Storm Watch in effect for the I-40 corridor and points northward for possible snow and ice accumulation with highs reaching around the freezing point for Thursday. Even for these areas though, this storm should be fairly fast-paced and shouldn't cause any problems other than a dicey commute and a few headaches for parents/excitement for kids. :thumbsup:

I grew up in Greensboro and went to NC State in the late 1980s. I can't help from sensing that the weather is different now. Sure, as a kid I anticipated the possibility of snow with excitement, but every winter had at least one school-closing event, and I'd say about every other year had some hefty snows that stuck around for a few days.

Lately, we have had one brief wet snow in 04~05, a little tree icing in 05~06 and basically nothing but a some frosty mornings in 06~07.

02~03 and 03~04 were fairly robust winters here, though. (Really disliked that "freezing mist" we had once in 03~04. That was no fun to look at or walk in).

The threat of snow in Charlotte!! Im green that Im not there this week. Im working in DC. Oh how I love this time of year in NC. Just being north or south of 85 can make all the differance in the world. Snow in Mooresville, rain in Pineville. Everyones rushing to the grocery store. The northern transplants are laughing at all us locals for freaking out. :-). Schools are closing before the first flake. I guess Ill just check out a few webcams in the morning and see just how the storm pans out.

The NWS has issued a "WINTER STORM WARNING FOR CHARLOTTE"

From the NWS:

A BAND OF MODERATE SNOW AND SLEET IS FORECAST TO MOVE NORTH OVER THE INTERSTATE 85 CORRIDOR FROM NORTHEAST GEORGIA ACROSS THE UPSTATE OF SOUTH CAROLINA BY MIDNIGHT. THIS BAND OF SNOW AND SLEET IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE A QUICK 2 TO 4 INCHES OF SNOW. A RAPID TRANSITION TO SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN WILL THEN FOLLOW DURING THE EARLY MORNING HOURS THURSDAY. ICE MAY ACCUMULATE TO AROUND A TENTH OF AN INCH UNTIL TEMPERATURES RISE ABOVE FREEZING AROUND NOON. A COLD RAIN AND PERIODS OF SLEET WILL PERSIST INTO EARLY AFTERNOON.

The threat of snow in Charlotte!! Im green that Im not there this week. Im working in DC. Oh how I love this time of year in NC. Just being north or south of 85 can make all the differance in the world. Snow in Mooresville, rain in Pineville. Everyones rushing to the grocery store. The northern transplants are laughing at all us locals for freaking out. :-). Schools are closing before the first flake. I guess Ill just check out a few webcams in the morning and see just how the storm pans out.

I would trade any precip than 30mph winds and 38 degrees like it is here. I hate it when it is bone chilling cold with no precip to at least to give you something to look at. I also hate the winters here in southern Nevada. Windy cold and not even any rain. We can't even get that much above 20 in the humidity department. I love it when we are supposed to get more than a half inch of rain OMG the city is gonna flood...and nobody knows how to drive with WET ROADS. Kinda funny how the region determines your weather IQ. Last major snowstorm in NC I remember was 95 or 96 I think. Fayetteville got like 5 to 6 inches. It was great my classes were cancelled for like 3 days. Anheuser Bush made a lot of money off of me that week. Even though it was mostly dimes, nickles and quarters and a few pennies. I miss home :cry:

Living in Rock Hill and working in Charlotte (for now, anyway), I can't help but notice how the SCDOT is usually ahead of the game in situations like these. I-77 in York County was already salted on my way home from work this evening, whereas there was nothing on I-77 in Charlotte.

You know, I've lived in the Carolina Piedmont for the vast majority of my life, and this is pretty standard. Judging by the mass of rain moving up I think its safe to say we'll get some sleet and maybe some ice in the trees. I'll believe snow when I see it.

The media stations over hyped it every time back in the Upstate, and they haven't let me down here either :) I think its a scam to support bakeries and dairies personally.

^It's rather interesting because at the moment the Charlotte area is running from 5-10 degrees warmer than those places. (based on that google map I posted above). It will be interesting to see if the temps fall enough here over the next several hours for this to be more than just rain.

^It was the same in the SC cities. Many times snow pulls very cold air from aloft dropping the surface temp dramatically in a short period of time. Only time will tell. All I know is that I REALLY don't want to go to class at UNCC tomorrow morning (GIS...ugh!), so a good blanket of the white stuff would be a welcome sight to my eyes. I feel like I'm in elementary school again.

EDIT: brother just called from Waxhaw. Snowing there.

^Once the precipitation starts to fall in the area, the temperature will drop. This is cooling by evaporation and it occurs because the air is so dry outside. The precip evaporates and causes cooling, just like sweat on your body. The areas to the south have gotten the precipitation earlier and so are cooler (at the moment).

Archived