Do you think it will snow here on Thursday based on local reporting?

monsoon

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it will snow here on Thursday based on local news reporting?

• No
    • Yes
    • I will believe it when I see it
    • I don't like this poll
  2. 2. Do these weather teasers cause you to watch more TV news?

• No
    • Yes

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thought about this, but this will be the first time and also a good training situation to see how reliable the LYNX is tomorrow in the morning, if all of the functions of the LRT with snow/ice perform, and how well the shelters shelter, in addition to the ridership numbers. Could go up or down (up to get drivers off the road for their commute, or down due to the cold waiting...

Just thought about this, but this will be the first time and also a good training situation to see how reliable the LYNX is tomorrow in the morning, if all of the functions of the LRT with snow/ice perform, and how well the shelters shelter, in addition to the ridership numbers. Could go up or down (up to get drivers off the road for their commute, or down due to the cold waiting...

It is doubtful that there will be any power outages (and if there is one, can it please be in McEniry Hall at UNCC? Andy, I feel your pain!). Still, there are few areas that the tracks would have problems. The points on the tracks (or switches) are few since the trains operate on dedicated lines in each direction. As far as the shelters, I have no idea.

Slush already in Uptown <_< ... looks like it'll be gone by dinner time. All the roads should be fine, I'm pretty sure Char-Meck dumped hundreds/thousands of tons of salt onto the area's roads yesterday.

EDIT: The Observer is reporting UNCC classes canceled for today, Lynx running right on schedule.

Sound the Alarm!!! WBTV here in charlotte seems to be very excited this evening about a BIG snow event on Saturday. ET just got off tv saying two weather models are saying either 8-12" or 4-6" on Saturday for CLT Metro. ......He also said this could be the "big one" for I85 points west and north!!!

I like the shared experience of snow days, even if it is technically fine to be on the roads. Of course, the roads are often fine, but the uncertainty of it all would lead to problems if the volumes were higher. There is something about seeing the office virtually silent (I walked to work, albeit after the heavy rain stopped).

I never ever ever take what local tv news says without a huge grain of salt. In fact, I had totally forgotten about all this talk until I woke up this morning and saw it. I work with some Indian guys that have never seen snow before. Even though it was paltry, I'm glad that el nina and global warming haven't completely taken that possibility away from us.

Archived