Do you think it will snow here on Thursday based on local reporting?

monsoon

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it will snow here on Thursday based on local news reporting?

• No
    • Yes
    • I will believe it when I see it
    • I don't like this poll
  2. 2. Do these weather teasers cause you to watch more TV news?

• No
    • Yes

Somehow, I doubt we get more than an inch of snow on Sat, just like on Thurs morning. There was no more than an inch on the ground and I was surprised at all the panic around here. It's rather comical actually. I'd hate to see what would happen if 6" or more would fall. Everyone would probably think that armageddon was upon us.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, 11:30 am, 42 and temp rising, no rain, no snow, no anything. I am thinking this one is turning into a non-event.

It's very funny because listening to the 6pm news last night, all of them were insisting that we would be seeing snow by now. Everyone of them sent reporters to hardware stores, grocery stores, and so forth to show the preparations for the coming blizzard. LOL

According to reports I have read it will start sticking as it gets later in the afternoon and pretty much stop aside from sporadic outbursts by 8 or 9. I wil be surprised if we get more than an inch or so. I think the only major problem will be ice late tonight and tomorrow AM. It's going to be cold enough for the next few days that the snow should hang around for awhile.

This is not the local news hyping up an event. The local weather men just say what the NWS tell them to say. It was the NWS that called for all the snow, it was the NWS who posted all the snow advisories. The local news just did there job and passed on the message. Nothing was hyped. The NWS bombed this one BIG time! Not your local mets.

We only see snow a couple times a year on average. So it is a big event no matter how much we get. Most people down here love snow, I say it is news worthy.

""They are saying that big snows are few and far between and that everyone is sick of the media hyping every potential wintry weather possibility as the storm of the century in order to increase their viewership.""

That is not true. What newscast said this would be the storm of the century? Again, they only passed on to us what the NWS told them.

Tell me, how much snow did the local mets in Charlotte call for today? Unless they called for 3 feet or more ....it is not the storm of the century. My guess is they said a few inches were possible. Boy, thats really hyping something up huh. <_<

The local channels hype weather of all kinds all the time. This is not much different than markets across the country. Heck, typical thunderstorms here warrant "breaking news" along with movie style ominous armageddon music. And it's even worse with snow. I just need to approach it here the same way I did in Charleston. Down there the weather talking heads track every wave that moves off the coast of Africa and tell us when it's going to wipe the city out. It's up to us to look at things in context and not be such sheeple :lol:

Archived