Greektown mogul buys 1001 Woodward

DetroitMan

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess someone more capable could make condos work in the building, but I was always skeptical of that plan to begin with. I'm not sure the office demand is there, but it sure has always seemed to me that this building is much better suited for offices (what it was built as), anyway. Historic office buildings usually make better residential conversions because of the smaller floorplates, interior columns, and such not suited for most office use, today.

I guess someone more capable could make condos work in the building, but I was always skeptical of that plan to begin with. I'm not sure the office demand is there, but it sure has always seemed to me that this building is much better suited for offices (what it was built as), anyway. Historic office buildings usually make better residential conversions because of the smaller floorplates, interior columns, and such not suited for most office use, today.

I think that it is spot on LM. Much more, just from a perspective of a homeowner, is this really that attractive and logical as a location? You're surrounded by office buildings, is this really a good spot for residents to live? As far as I am concerned, not really. Places along wash blvd and grand circus park and the small, historic structures along the side streets seem like much better locations to me. Think about it, how much pride would you take pointing to a cold office tower and saying, yup, thats my home. The "wow, work-a-holic, eh?" jokes would get a little old. :rolleyes:

Wait a minute, not a good location for residental units? Campus Martius Park is not a good location for residental units?

If this is true, then that means that Cadillac Centers 88 apartment units are doomed to failure as well, dosn't it?

I wouldn't mind living in that building at all! The only problem is the "width" of the windows. But then, you have to consider the windows would be "wall to wall".

But in any case, I think this building offers the best opportunity for Bank of America to move their regional headquarters from Troy to Downtown. Their Troy Headquarters is 450,000 square feet, while 1001 Woodward is only 336,000 sq. ft. Also 1001 Woodward is technically only listed as Class B office space. They probably require Class A.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think this building could have worked as residential with the right plan and right development company but I thought they botched the project from the start. Additionally, of all the buildings in the CBD to convert to residential, this was actually one of the ones that I thought made the least sense. You always hear about the small floor plates and inadequate infrastructure of the vintage buildings whereas 1001 Woodward was really still well positioned as a B class office building in the city's best office location at Campus Martius.

I think it should stay office. As Jason stated, it was designed as an office. I don't know about you, but if I have an condo/loft/apartment downtown, I would want to be able to open my windows. That was one major complaint that many interest had in the building.

How many new condo constructions have windows that open? Especially 30 floors up? Hell how many new buildings of any type have windows that open? When they invented the air conditioner, they had no need to have windows that opened. Hell, don't a lot of older buildings seal their windows? I doubt the Broderick Tower Lofts will have windows that open...;)

Archived