Main Street, Downtown Little Rock.

It's amazing that after the huge success of the Rivermarket District, that there hasn't been a push for development along Main Street. A mistake would be to try to make Main Street like the Rivermarket District... I think that Main Street projects should focus more on family-oriented businesses which would cover that niche and bring that completely different audience downtown for entertainment. The Rivermarket pretty much focuses on nightlife and tend to draw people wanting have good adult fun. Main Street could have a nice movie theater and family-oriented restaurants and retail which would cater to families. Both of these downtown areas should grow together to ensure that there will be mixed foottraffic between both the Rivermarket District and Main Street. Just my opinion... I think a lot.

It's amazing that after the huge success of the Rivermarket District, that there hasn't been a push for development along Main Street. A mistake would be to try to make Main Street like the Rivermarket District... I think that Main Street projects should focus more on family-oriented businesses which would cover that niche and bring that completely different audience downtown for entertainment. The Rivermarket pretty much focuses on nightlife and tend to draw people wanting have good adult fun. Main Street could have a nice movie theater and family-oriented restaurants and retail which would cater to families. Both of these downtown areas should grow together to ensure that there will be mixed foottraffic between both the Rivermarket District and Main Street. Just my opinion... I think a lot.

I don't see that a movie theater would work, at this time, in downtown. The one in the Peabody Place in Memphis is getting ready to shut its doors. Nor do I think family-oriented business is the way to go. I just don't see families loading up their SUVs and heading downtown from west LR for a night of fun and shopping.

What needs to happen is a project that will produce a "Bilbao effect." Something needs to happen that will get Mr. Stephens excited enough to start developing his holdings.

I'd like Main to develop into the area where the art galleries, antique stores, and upscale boutiques are found. Parking is more available there than on Clinton. The problem is people are so afraid of moving retail downtown because of previous failures. To make it work I think the city would have to put a major investment into the streetscape to help it happen and coordinate redevelopment with Stephens.

I think a theater downtown would work if it were along the lines of the Alamo Drafthouse, a place where you could watch a film and drink alcohol. I could see that being profitable and novel enough to be a draw.

I don't see that a movie theater would work, at this time, in downtown. The one in the Peabody Place in Memphis is getting ready to shut its doors. Nor do I think family-oriented business is the way to go. I just don't see families loading up their SUVs and heading downtown from west LR for a night of fun and shopping.

What needs to happen is a project that will produce a "Bilbao effect." Something needs to happen that will get Mr. Stephens excited enough to start developing his holdings.

People definitely aren't loading up in their SUVs and going downtown, and I hope that will stay the same, because lord knows they're already wasting enough gas.

I think that if Market Street, or some new art theater, moved downtown it would be a perfect match. Generally speaking I'd say much of the population that attends Market Street lives in QQ, Hillcrest, Heights, etc., not in Chenal.

I would go to movies there all the time if it wasn't a freaking 20 minute drive into WFLR. Now, I hardly make it out there once a year (admittedly I only live here for half the year), but if it was in the old Center (re?) theater, a bus ride away, it'd be my second home.

However, I don't think the theater would survive until Main St was considerably built up (diner, diner, diner!).

P.S. I also think family-oriented is a bad call.

If the Rep would have gotten the grant to build a new theater, that could have stimulated development along Main St. Stephens probably would have jumped in and developed some of his poperties.

Want to know what was sad about that whole deal? Reynolds had basically given them the grant, but one clear stipulation was to not publicly promote that they were finalists. They failed to be discreet. The grant was not awarded. End of story. End of deal.

Want to know what was sad about that whole deal? Reynolds had basically given them the grant, but one clear stipulation was to not publicly promote that they were finalists. They failed to be discreet. The grant was not awarded. End of story. End of deal.

That is sad. I bet they will be quiet from now on when applying for any grant. Now they may be stuck at the current site for a while. That could have been the stimulus to start Main St. going.

That explains why I heard that they were refurbishing and not rebuilding. Love the Rep and annoyed by the Rep, all at once.

• 1 year later...

There was an article in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette on Saturday about a proposed 117,000 sq. ft. building to be built on the west side of Main between 4th and Capital. There are talks between the state and Stephens to provide space for state offices. Let's hope if this goes through there is more thought put into the building than the last one built on Main for state offices. It would have been nice if there would have been some retail available on the ground floor instead of a block long wall of office windows. It would also be nice if this building is constructed to provide for future expansion(height) to accommodate living units. Downtown Little Rock needs mixed use buildings. There are too many office only buildings in the downtown area now. It would be easy walking distance from this site to the office buildings west on Capital.

There was an article in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette on Saturday about a proposed 117,000 sq. ft. building to be built on the west side of Main between 4th and Capital. There are talks between the state and Stephens to provide space for state offices. Let's hope if this goes through there is more thought put into the building than the last one built on Main for state offices. It would have been nice if there would have been some retail available on the ground floor instead of a block long wall of office windows. It would also be nice if this building is constructed to provide for future expansion(height) to accommodate living units. Downtown Little Rock needs mixed use buildings. There are too many office only buildings in the downtown area now. It would be easy walking distance from this site to the office buildings west on Capital.

According to the Arkansas Blog, the permit has been filed for demolition of the buildings on the west side of the street. Not sure how I feel about this, while I like the idea of preserving what's there, I think that bringing in some new offices and breathing, spending bodies into this area is important, too. Will be interesting to see what the public outcry over the buildings is.

Demolition permits have been issued for the four buildings on the west side of the block between 4th and Capital. But problems have come up. The Historic Preservation Alliance is opposing the demolition. Stephens opposed the Aloft hotel in the River market because of "historic' concerns and now he is being opposed for trying to destroy the "historic" nature of Main Street. I wonder how far along are the redevelopment plans or is there just going to be another parking lot on Main?

Personally, I'm not worried about losing the buildings as much as losing the feel of Main Street. Could the new building keep that feel, but as a new building? Maybe a first floor that feels more like the First Security building as opposed to the Stephens building?

It's kinda hard to stand in the way of progress assuming that what will be built will be both appropriate and of high quality. However, what you CANNOT see from these photographs are the REAL facades of these buildings...what's there now is cladding added later to add some "modernness" in the 50's or 60's, hiding the beautiful architecture beneath.

Having said all of that, I've been told these buildings are in terrible condition, and are in no shape to be renovated or reused as a modern public building. Perhaps if they hadn't been abandoned for so long...

As long as something goes in that will create pedestrian activity I'd be fine it. Not that my opinion counts for anything. But, we've already torn down many more valuable historic structures, what makes these any more important?

Don't forget that the McDonald's at Capitol and Main was demolished sometime ago. I'm sure if was still standing someone would object to it being demolished.

That's true. It was the first two-story McDonald's in Arkansas, but now it's lost forever. How sad <_<

Ha, when I was a little kid I still remember coming to downtown to visit my mom at work and I would beg to go to the two story McD's on Broadway. We thought it was so cool as did most of my firends. I'm still not sure why. I never knew there was another one before the current one.

Ha, when I was a little kid I still remember coming to downtown to visit my mom at work and I would beg to go to the two story McD's on Broadway. We thought it was so cool as did most of my firends. I'm still not sure why. I never knew there was another one before the current one.

If you walk by there, you can still see the typical McDonald's tile floor. They just tore the building down, but didn't rip up the floor. I know it was open until at least the late 80s, because I remember eating there after going to the Main Street Mall, when it debuted diagonally across the street. The lack of drive-thru killed the McDonald's, though.