Main Street, Downtown Little Rock.

LRguy21

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, ndark said:

Any idea what is going on in between CJRW and Soul Fish?  It is now boarded up and looks like there may be work going on. 

5 hours ago, SangreRaVen said:

Not it. Donuts and Deli is located on the south side of Soul Fish. The space between CJRW and Soul Fish  is the location of a mural titled "Street Gallery".  The donut place is  now open.  Across the street Ira's has undergone some changes and will now be known as Allsopp & Chapple.  A familiar name for those of you who remember when small retail was apart of Main Street.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Perhaps you should make an offer on the Donaghey and Boyle Buildings.  Seems like so many people feel like it's an easy task to get these structures renovated and productive having never even set foot in there present condition.  Or even studied the economics behind their redevelopments options.  There's a reason why they're empty and people are walking away from them.  

The developer of the Boyle Building has put up millions of his own money in redevelopment efforts.  So has the development group that bought the Donaghey Building.  As have countless other developers along Main Street, River Market and 5th/Capitol.  Guys like that are the only reason why we even have anything going for Downtown LR redevelopment.  I find it a bit hard and hypocritical for you or anyone to assume they go into these projects thinking it's going to be easy.  Developers put up huge amounts of capital to be able to get into these projects only to have neighbors and "concerned citizens" tell them what to do with their own property and how to spend their money.  At the end of the day, perhaps people like you ought to put up or shut up.  Put your own hard earned money up on some property on Main and do it yourself or stop making useless comments on things you probably know nothing about.   

14 minutes ago, LRretail said:

The developer of the Boyle Building has put up millions of his own money in redevelopment efforts.  So has the development group that bought the Donaghey Building.  As have countless other developers along Main Street, River Market and 5th/Capitol.  Guys like that are the only reason why we even have anything going for Downtown LR redevelopment.  I find it a bit hard and hypocritical for you or anyone to assume they go into these projects thinking it's going to be easy.  Developers put up huge amounts of capital to be able to get into these projects only to have neighbors and "concerned citizens" tell them what to do with their own property and how to spend their money.  At the end of the day, perhaps people like you ought to put up or shut up.  Put your own hard earned money up on some property on Main and do it yourself or stop making useless comments on things you probably know nothing about.   

We all know Chi puts some money into the Boyle Building but I  never saw any work done on the Donaghey Building. When it was purchased the last time it was done with the purpose of using the EB-5 program. This program  allows foreign investors to obtain a green card after putting up at least $500,000.  Anyway, most of these historic rehab projects involve some sort of tax breaks otherwise nothing would ever get done with them.

I don't see anything happening with these two buildings in the near future. Downtown LR is dead right now as far as development goes. The only two projects I know of are the AC Hotel and 11 units of apartment being developed in the Rose Building.  Unless the AC is an overwhelming success and Phase II of the Tech Park gets funding I really don't see a lot happening.

13 hours ago, LRretail said:

Like I said before no one said it would be easy. The other projects you mentioned on Main St. and the River Market actually came to fruition.  They spent millions of dollars on their developments and they have made Little Rock better because of them. Moses Tucker, McKibbon Hotel, Pinnacle Hotel Group all announced projects in downtown that have come on line. Cromwell Architects announced and developed their project in the East Village. 

Some of these developers come in and get in over their head. It could be that they underestimated the scope of the project or didn’t due a full due deligence. It has happened before with these and other developments and will happen again. 

On 1/31/2019 at 2:50 AM, theman said:

Like I said before no one said it would be easy. 

You said that "developers think that it's going to be easy".  Probably the single most idiotic statement I've ever heard.  Why would you ever assume that a developer going into an eight figure development project would think it's going to be easy?  

The other projects you mentioned on Main St. and the River Market actually came to fruition. 

Not all of them.  Moses Tucker has on numerous occasions secured property on Main with the MMCohn Building, property to the south of Blass Building, and other property only to walk away from it or put a sale sign on it.  So have the Alleys.  So have the McKibbons who secured the Boyle Building twice, but never built anything there.  So has Pinnacle.  Interesting how you either don't know about that, fail to mention it if you do, or don't really care cause it doesn't support your criticism.  The Boyle and Donaghey Buildings are simply the largest scale of vacant property on Main.  By far the most difficult to pull off even more so than the new construction towers that have been built in the River Market.  The market is going to ebb and flow.  Instead of being hypocritical with statements you make, why not be supportive?  Oh wait, I know the answer to that.  Because it's easy to sit there and hit your opinion button and be "disappointed".  How useful to the community...  

10 hours ago, LRretail said:

You said that "developers think that it's going to be easy".  Probably the single most idiotic statement I've ever heard.  Why would you ever assume that a developer going into an eight figure development project would think it's going to be easy?  

Not all of them.  Moses Tucker has on numerous occasions secured property on Main with the MMCohn Building, property to the south of Blass Building, and other property only to walk away from it or put a sale sign on it.  So have the Alleys.  So have the McKibbons who secured the Boyle Building twice, but never built anything there.  So has Pinnacle.  Interesting how you either don't know about that, fail to mention it if you do, or don't really care cause it doesn't support your criticism.  The Boyle and Donaghey Buildings are simply the largest scale of vacant property on Main.  By far the most difficult to pull off even more so than the new construction towers that have been built in the River Market.  The market is going to ebb and flow.  Instead of being hypocritical with statements you make, why not be supportive?  Oh wait, I know the answer to that.  Because it's easy to sit there and hit your opinion button and be "disappointed".  How useful to the community...  

Find me the quote where I said that it would be easy. You are trying to put those words in my mouth. I didn’t say that but you are so upset with my statement you are trying to attribute a statement to me that I didn’t say and I don’t appreciate it and won’t stand for it. You may have not liked what I said but don’t say that I said something that I didn’t!!

And I’m not supportive when I said that that development in the River Market and Main St. have made Little Rock better. Stop trying to mischaracterize my statements.

8 hours ago, theman said:

Find me the quote where I said that it would be easy.

I never said that your words mentioned that it would be easy.  You characterize the developers as thinking it would be easy...in this statement you made here.

On 1/30/2019 at 1:09 AM, theman said:

No one said it would be easy but apparently some developers think that it would be because they keep purchasing the buildings, announcing plans then walking away. 

I'm not mischaracterizing a thing.  You said it.  It's your opinion by your statements (that are hypocritical, unproductive, and useless), you criticize developers that in your view secure property along Main and walk away thought that it would be easy, get in over their head, and then walk away from projects.  Then offer support of other developers that have completed some development.  

On 1/31/2019 at 2:50 AM, theman said:

The other projects you mentioned on Main St. and the River Market actually came to fruition.  They spent millions of dollars on their developments and they have made Little Rock better because of them. Moses Tucker, McKibbon Hotel, Pinnacle Hotel Group all announced projects in downtown that have come on line. Cromwell Architects announced and developed their project in the East Village. 

Nevermind that all of the groups you mention here have at one time or another secured property on Main Street and walked away from it just as the developers of the Boyle, Donaghey, and other buildings on Main.  There are for sale signs up now with Moses Tucker on property they walked away from after making announcements.  But they're not high profile cause they're not on the scale of Donaghey or Boyle because of size.  My point is and has always been that you sit there and hit your little criticism button picking and choosing who you think is a good developer or a bad developer based on whether or not they got a project you wanted to see finished.  You base your opinion on examples of developers you perhaps didn't know did the same thing you are being critical about.  Yet I don't see you out there trying to make Little Rock better by doing something about Boyle or Donaghey yourself while criticizing others.  

8 hours ago, theman said:

You are trying to put those words in my mouth. I didn’t say that but you are so upset with my statement you are trying to attribute a statement to me that I didn’t say and I don’t appreciate it and won’t stand for it. You may have not liked what I said but don’t say that I said something that I didn’t!!

You made the statements.  Not me.  It's not even about the statements you make.  It's your attitude.  "Another attempt at development down the drain." "Some of these developers come in and get in over their head."  Good lord, shut up.  Get out there and do something about it yourself or be quiet.  

If you are going to get upset anytime someone is disappointed that a development doesn’t occur then maybe you should  just go away!! It was mentioned earlier on this thread that it was a shame that the Boyle building wasn’t developed into the Aloft to compliment the AC Marriott that is being developed.  We all hope that these developments occur and are disappointed when they don’t. It’s not being critical. You just took that way. 

I’m going to state my opinion whether you like it or not because it’s mine!! So no. I’m not going to shut up!!

I'm not upset.  Definitely not upset that someone is disappointed that a development doesn't occur.  It's just prudent to call you out.  Everybody hopes and wishes for developments to move forward.  When they don't it's not really fair to treat the people who worked on those projects like villains cause it didn't get done.  Then throw up support for other developers who have done the same thing by not getting other projects on Main finished, but in your eyes are better cause some other things worked out for them.  You can say it's "not being critical" until you're blue in the face.  That's complete BS.  I took it the way everybody else who reads that took it.  

We all know you're going to state your opinions.  Heaven forbid you shut up about stuff you don't really know anything about.  You and people like you that throw a judgement blanket over things in our town are exactly everything that is wrong with our City.  It's the little snarky crap that you spew out that divides Little Rock.  Like I've said multiple times, rather than talk crap about people you don't know and projects that you have no idea what you're speaking about why don't you get out there and do something about it to help instead of sit there like some back seat driver.  Give us all a break from your junk.  

14 minutes ago, LRretail said:

I'm not upset.  Definitely not upset that someone is disappointed that a development doesn't occur.  It's just prudent to call you out.  Everybody hopes and wishes for developments to move forward.  When they don't it's not really fair to treat the people who worked on those projects like villains cause it didn't get done.  Then throw up support for other developers who have done the same thing by not getting other projects on Main finished, but in your eyes are better cause some other things worked out for them.  You can say it's "not being critical" until you're blue in the face.  That's complete BS.  I took it the way everybody else who reads that took it.  

We all know you're going to state your opinions.  Heaven forbid you shut up about stuff you don't really know anything about.  You and people like you that throw a judgement blanket over things in our town are exactly everything that is wrong with our City.  It's the little snarky crap that you spew out that divides Little Rock.  Like I've said multiple times, rather than talk crap about people you don't know and projects that you have no idea what you're speaking about why don't you get out there and do something about it to help instead of sit there like some back seat driver.  Give us all a break from your junk.  

" That's complete BS.  I took it the way everybody else who reads that took it. " Don't speak for me. The main BS  I see on this post is from you and you telling theman to shut up. It is his opinion and as far as property developers go everyone knows that most of them are hype.  If it wasn't for tax breaks them most rehab wouldn't get done unless property was valued at the market value of its actually worth.  The developer of the Donaghney Building advertised it   to be a $30 + million dollar project with $5 million in Chinese green card money. I guess maybe the Chinese didn't like LR or figured out that the price tag for the project was way too much.

• 3 weeks later...

It's more Main Street adjacent but Hurts Donut Company opens tomorrow (2/27) at 5am in the old Funny Bone Comedy Club/ On the Rock Club/Little Rock Technology Park Authority space next door to Wasabi and across the street from the Convention Center entrance. I went to a pre-opening event last night and they were still feverishly training new employees. I think I saw they were going to have something like 80 employees. It will be open 24 hours a day and offer delivery within 5 miles of the store. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2019 at 10:53 AM, Smith said:

It's more Main Street adjacent but Hurts Donut Company opens tomorrow (2/27) at 5am in the old Funny Bone Comedy Club/ On the Rock Club/Little Rock Technology Park Authority space next door to Wasabi and across the street from the Convention Center entrance. I went to a pre-opening event last night and they were still feverishly training new employees. I think I saw they were going to have something like 80 employees. It will be open 24 hours a day and offer delivery within 5 miles of the store. 

Stopped in after the St. Patrick's Day Parade Saturday and  waited in line for 40 minutes. The line was just as long when I left as when I got there. The girl at the check out said they had only been slow one day since they opened.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Architect said:

The DemGaz reports today that the historic Lafayette building is "under contract" and the new owners plan to convert the bottom floors - currently leased commercial office space - into a hotel, retaining the upper floors condominiums.

Though it's not mentioned in the article, one of the Lafayette Building's commercial tenants — Bella Vita Jewelry — already is on track to move to a new location, taking over space just a short distance east on 6th Street where Matt McLeod had his art gallery.

Archived