Main Street, Downtown Little Rock.

LRguy21

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, theman said:

Main St. Lofts could be back on track after the former MM Cohn building was bought from Scott Reed by an outfit out from Arizona according to Arkansas Business.

The question now arises will the Aloft project return since the MM Cohn building is now showing possibilities of being redeveloped. When Chi put the Aloft on hold he said the reason had to do with the unknown future of the MM Cohn building.

2 hours ago, skirby said:

The question now arises will the Aloft project return since the MM Cohn building is now showing possibilities of being redeveloped. When Chi put the Aloft on hold he said the reason had to do with the unknown future of the MM Cohn building.

Let's hope so!!!  That would be the HUGE catalyst that would eternally light the arts district/tech park/Main Street.  It's almost comical (tragically) how may times Aloft has tried to develop a hotel in downtown Little Rock.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/16/2017 at 11:28 AM, Architect said:

Let's hope so!!!  That would be the HUGE catalyst that would eternally light the arts district/tech park/Main Street.  It's almost comical (tragically) how may times Aloft has tried to develop a hotel in downtown Little Rock.

One thing to note is that Marriott's acquisition of Starwood has complicated things for this Aloft.  Franchisor operations have changed a little bit.  So have the costs of opening an Aloft.  Design protocols are now different and have increased the cost of the project significantly.  Perhaps making the project goal of opening an Aloft here unattainable.  Also, in all fairness, the new owners of Main Street Lofts are a little bit blind as to how much anyone would pay for the MMCohn Building.  The Chis have tried to obtain the MMCohn several times with no success.  In essence, the reassurance that something positive is going into the MMCohn is still not there.  I've heard that construction on the Boyle Building is scheduled to begin within the next 60-90 days.  What is getting built I do not yet know.

4 minutes ago, LRretail said:

One thing to note is that Marriott's acquisition of Starwood has complicated things for this Aloft.  Franchisor operations have changed a little bit.  So have the costs of opening an Aloft.  Design protocols are now different and have increased the cost of the project significantly.  Perhaps making the project goal of opening an Aloft here unattainable.  Also, in all fairness, the new owners of Main Street Lofts are a little bit blind as to how much anyone would pay for the MMCohn Building.  The Chis have tried to obtain the MMCohn several times with no success.  In essence, the reassurance that something positive is going into the MMCohn is still not there.  I've heard that construction on the Boyle Building is scheduled to begin within the next 60-90 days.  What is getting built I do not yet know.

But the Boyle building WAS to be the Aloft, correct?  Disappointing, but not surprising I suppose that the current owner's need to do SOMETHING with that building.  A "modern" hotel, be it an Aloft or some other mark is a significant missed opportunity for Little Rock in general and Main Street specifically.

On 6/8/2017 at 10:32 AM, Architect said:

But the Boyle building WAS to be the Aloft, correct?  Disappointing, but not surprising I suppose that the current owner's need to do SOMETHING with that building.  A "modern" hotel, be it an Aloft or some other mark is a significant missed opportunity for Little Rock in general and Main Street specifically.

I think that the Boyle is still going to be an Aloft.  My understanding is that perhaps there will be other elements to the development and not just a hotel.  I do expect that however that development is done it will include an adaptive reuse of new and "modern" amenities in a historic building.  Unfortunately for the owners, I think Scott Reed has done so much damage to the infrastructure of that entire block that it's increasingly difficult to pick up and move forward in progress.  Like you and the rest of us, the details aren't always brought to light in many of these situations.  But I think it's important to note that the owners of the Boyle Building are good stewards of the structure, making sure that it gets brightened again for future generations instead of torn down for another parking lot or butchered up even further than it was in the past.  As far as the Aloft brand goes, some people like it some people don't.  I do think that it's comical how many times the brand has tried to locate in Little Rock but I also recognize that many things that work in other markets, don't work when they come to Little Rock.  They don't get enough support.  Everybody is about local local local.  There's a reason why NWA gets Red Robin, Joe's Crab Shack, and all those before we do.  

3 hours ago, LRretail said:

I think that the Boyle is still going to be an Aloft.  My understanding is that perhaps there will be other elements to the development and not just a hotel.  I do expect that however that development is done it will include an adaptive reuse of new and "modern" amenities in a historic building.  Unfortunately for the owners, I think Scott Reed has done so much damage to the infrastructure of that entire block that it's increasingly difficult to pick up and move forward in progress.  Like you and the rest of us, the details aren't always brought to light in many of these situations.  But I think it's important to note that the owners of the Boyle Building are good stewards of the structure, making sure that it gets brightened again for future generations instead of torn down for another parking lot or butchered up even further than it was in the past.  As far as the Aloft brand goes, some people like it some people don't.  I do think that it's comical how many times the brand has tried to locate in Little Rock but I also recognize that many things that work in other markets, don't work when they come to Little Rock.  They don't get enough support.  Everybody is about local local local.  There's a reason why NWA gets Red Robin, Joe's Crab Shack, and all those before we do.  

Alfot's bad luck in this market has (almost) been comical, but I would guess it's been more tied to random circumstances than any polarization with the brand.  Personally, I LOVE them...such a refreshing "Modern" decor in the midst of so many yucky, floral, 1990's aesthetic branded hotels; though admittedly, since Aloft launched, so many more "flags" have been moving toward more contemporary themes.  I think it would play VERY well in a location that appeals to tech/arts types, which is of course the focus of Main Street development.

I do hope this immediate work is related to a hotel, and specifically that brand.  Keep us posted if you have any future insight/updates.  I always appreciate your posts!

• 1 month later...

Saturday night I had dinner at Bruno's and from my seat I could see into the second floor units of the KLoft building across the street. From my viewpoint it appears  they should be available soon. One of the reasons given for not opening was a lack of appliances but I could see stainless steel refrigerators in the units.  Also, Blue Sail Coffee in the Tech Park had a number of customers inside around 7 pm which tells me they are doing a good business. When they first opened a few months ago I don't recall them being open on Saturday. After dinner we went down to Loblolly Creamery to check out their new location and they were selling their frozen delights even though they haven't had their grand opening yet. If you get a chance to go try out one of their flights but you will need at least two people to finish it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Club Level across from Bruno's has closed and will be replaced by sports bar to be called Brewski's  Pub and Grub. It plans to open within a few months and offer lunch next year. The name is already on the building along with another sign. After failing to open as K Lofts it looks like the name has been changed to Mulberry Flats.

18 hours ago, skirby said:

Club Level across from Bruno's has closed and will be replaced by sports bar to be called Brewski's  Pub and Grub. It plans to open within a few months and offer lunch next year. The name is already on the building along with another sign. After failing to open as K Lofts it looks like the name has been changed to Mulberry Flats.

Mulberry Flats are finished and will be available in October.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Two new signs located on the 500 block of Main. One for Ballet Arkansas and the other for the Rep

QycZXZ.jpg

On the 600 block of Main the photo below shows a construction fence along the sidewalk on the east side.  I don't think Three Fold would be happy as well as RAO. It depends on how long street construction  last but it might result in the end for RAO.

SmN3o3.jpg

I noticed that there are 2 new skyscrapers being built in Des Moines, Iowa. If there are buildings that tall being built in a city very similar to Little Rock, then why aren’t there any being built here? I feel like the area needs more downtown condos or office space.

17 minutes ago, Aleck said:

I noticed that there are 2 new skyscrapers being built in Des Moines, Iowa. If there are buildings that tall being built in a city very similar to Little Rock, then why aren’t there any being built here? I feel like the area needs more downtown condos or office space.

Interesting...I'm anxious to look into that.  That being said, I have some background with Iowa, and Des Moines specifically.  While it is similar in size (technically smaller), it is one of the most urban small cities in the country.  For example, while downtown Little Rock has historically housed about 40,000 workers on a daily basis, Des Moines is 50% larger at over 60,000.  Also, for whatever reason, Des Moines rate of growth has exploded this decade, while Little Rock's (following the national trend) is lower than the 2000's.  Des Moines also benefits from a positive reputation in Iowa and the mid-west for its low crime and excellent educational system.  It's definitely operating with a lot of momentum.

p.s.  I should add that Little Rock added several 20 story buildings (condos) in the past ten years, so we're not without some skyline change!  And for the record, a 25 story high-rise concept was in the works about 5-6 years ago in downtown Little Rock that never materialized.

10 hours ago, Architect said:

Interesting...I'm anxious to look into that.  That being said, I have some background with Iowa, and Des Moines specifically.  While it is similar in size (technically smaller), it is one of the most urban small cities in the country.  For example, while downtown Little Rock has historically housed about 40,000 workers on a daily basis, Des Moines is 50% larger at over 60,000.  Also, for whatever reason, Des Moines rate of growth has exploded this decade, while Little Rock's (following the national trend) is lower than the 2000's.  Des Moines also benefits from a positive reputation in Iowa and the mid-west for its low crime and excellent educational system.  It's definitely operating with a lot of momentum.

p.s.  I should add that Little Rock added several 20 story buildings (condos) in the past ten years, so we're not without some skyline change!  And for the record, a 25 story high-rise concept was in the works about 5-6 years ago in downtown Little Rock that never materialized.

Little Rock   missed a chance at a new high-rise  when Bank of the Ozarks decided to build a new HQ building in west LR.

7 minutes ago, skirby said:

Little Rock   missed a chance at a new high-rise  when Bank of the Ozarks decided to build a new HQ building in west LR.

I agree, but given the prerogative/preferences of the bank's management, this was never a realistic scenario - even though, as I understand it, some downtown proponents approached them about this possibility.  It is very unfortunate, as a development of this scope would have the potential to radically impact and accelerate investment downtown.  Whereas its planned location will have zero impact short of adding traffic to an already bad arterial road.

p.s.  Bank of the Ozarks total assets exceed that of Devon Energy, which built a 50 story HQ in downtown OKC.  Of course, their market is growing and demand of office space is robust, given that there's a second, smaller (27 story) tower nearing construction next door to consolidate offices of Bank of Oklahoma (or is it OG&E...I can't remember).

On 10/12/2017 at 10:14 PM, Architect said:

The lack of new construction might be the result of lack of workforce. The 40,000 number has been used for years for downtown but has this number ever been correct? Metroplan's  Demographic Review for 2017 says the number of workers has decreased for downtown and environs from 1990 to 2010 by 9000 down to 36,000. The environs include the State Capitol and Children's Hospital areas.  The study also says the  CBD  decreased from 26,650 workers in 1980 to 15,880 in 2010, with almost 4,000 during the 2000-2010 period.  I don't know if this number is correct either because the vacancy rate is well under 10% and it looks like the rates would be going up due to a decreasing workforce. Since 2000 very little office space has been removed except for the old Arkla Building and new space has been completed on Main and in the River Market.

I don't know if a high-rise office building will be built in the near future but I could see a office/hotel/condo  building as a possibility. 

25 minutes ago, skirby said:

The lack of new construction might be the result of lack of workforce. The 40,000 number has been used for years for downtown but has this number ever been correct? Metroplan's  Demographic Review for 2017 says the number of workers has decreased for downtown and environs from 1990 to 2010 by 9000 down to 36,000. The environs include the State Capitol and Children's Hospital areas.  The study also says the  CBD  decreased from 26,650 workers in 1980 to 15,880 in 2010, with almost 4,000 during the 2000-2010 period.  I don't know if this number is correct either because the vacancy rate is well under 10% and it looks like the rates would be going up due to a decreasing workforce. Since 2000 very little office space has been removed except for the old Arkla Building and new space has been completed on Main and in the River Market.

I don't know if a high-rise office building will be built in the near future but I could see a office/hotel/condo  building as a possibility. 

True...I was referencing a historical number.  The point stands either way; Des Moines' downtown is, surprisingly, quite a bit more robust and populated than Little Rock's, even though it is technically a smaller metro area.  This is partly due to the demographic of the type of people who settled Iowa vs. Arkansas.  The mindset is very different (one anecdotal example:  Iowa is the most literate state in the country).

On 9/11/2017 at 5:53 PM, skirby said:

Brewski's Pub and Grub is now open.

Archived